Diablo II: Get the band back together...

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
seriously, i'm dusting off my old copy of diablo ii, cranking the settings up to the top, and applying the NEW 1.11 patch blizzard just threw out there. couple new big baddies, more cool trinkets, some much needed improvements in some areas with hirelings, etc.

damn... i still remember losing MONTHS of my life to that game. i'm fairly certain my druid and his dawgz still know how to kick some ass, though.

time to cowboy up, people. 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    similar thing happened to me recently with Master of Orion II. It's kind of lame though, since it runs decently in classic, but consistently crashes if you try to engage an opponent in ground combat. So, fortunately, ground combat is avoidable if you simply bombard planets to the ground. But the problem is, the AI loves engaging in ground combat and will send troops to take over your colonies whenever you're at war.

So, the solution there is to not be at war(easy enough) but then the problem is the game is kind of boring when you're not in some form of conflict.

Even more frustrating about it is that the game is pretty easy unless you ramp up the difficulty considerably, but when you do that, the opponents become even MORE relentless with trying to engage in ground combat, thus crashing the game.

The big problem is that, if an opponent makes war with you and sends a transport to attack a colony of yours, you'll have 4-5 turns tops to get ships to that colony to prevent the ground attack from crashing the game. But, sometimes there is absolutely no way that is possible, so there is no real way to prevent losing all your progress unless you save frequently.

sigh...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    OH man, I just got my Assassin (lv ~30something) through those stupid 3 barbarians in LOD and am on my way to Bael. Got killed right out by some ebola baddie.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

seriously, i'm dusting off my old copy of diablo ii, cranking the settings up to the top, and applying the NEW 1.11 patch blizzard just threw out there. couple new big baddies, more cool trinkets, some much needed improvements in some areas with hirelings, etc.

damn... i still remember losing MONTHS of my life to that game. i'm fairly certain my druid and his dawgz still know how to kick some ass, though.

time to cowboy up, people. 8)

Are you serious? Has it improved speed in OS X? Guess I'll get the patch soon. I haven't played Diablo in ages. Wish they'd put out a patch to bring Diablo I to OS X too.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rdnzlrdnzl Posts: 1member
    I cant get D2 to install.

I have the OS X installer, but each time I try to install the game it keeps saying INSERT INSTALL DISC, when it already is in the drive.

I would appear that even though Classic is running, the disc will not mount.

Any workarounds for this?

I've thrown in the towel after wasting a couple of hours trying to make it work.

Thanks

R
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdnzl

I cant get D2 to install.

I have the OS X installer, but each time I try to install the game it keeps saying INSERT INSTALL DISC, when it already is in the drive.

I would appear that even though Classic is running, the disc will not mount.

Any workarounds for this?

I've thrown in the towel after wasting a couple of hours trying to make it work.

Thanks

R

haven't tried yet (i'm am still trying to organize an ungodly number of backup cd's to find my old archived diablo ii install -- hell, it has my high-level characters on it. if i can't find it, i'll install it in classic on an old machine,then run their os x patch and transfer the bundle over to my dualie. fingers-crossed, but that should work.

heck, give blizzard an email asking them. they certainly seem willing to support d ii for a while longer.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Yea, definitely check with Blizzard. I used the OS X Installer to install DiabloII successfully. I don't have Classic installed though.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Unrelated but, I installed starcraft, but my CD for brood war is FUBAR, kind of a bummer. Oh well.

I keep eying the Diablo II CDs, but, I don't think I have the desire to play such a game. heh
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep, finally unearthed my classic restore cd that came with my tower. luckily, it's also a tower that will still boot into os 9 (and man, was i lost... it's been AGES since i booted into os 9). anyway, i at least got it installed in classic, then booted into os x. connected to battle.net and downloaded all necessary patches, plus the os x patch, and voila! we're running pretty, and pretty fast, too!

i'm trying out the necromancer now, since i never used him before since using summoners on my old imac dv 400 G3 would bring my system frame rate to a crawl if i had too much on screen (unless i kicked off every visual bit of goodness). now with a dual g4, 1.5 GB RAM and a geforce4 ti 128MB, i've got minions, hirelings and golems running all over the place without a dropped frame in the house.

pretty cool. 8)

i think i need to start combing the net for some good deals on some old, good games.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i think i need to start combing the net for some good deals on some old, good games.

eBay is your friend. I think all the CDs or DVDs I've bought in the past year, be they musics, videos, or software, have been from eBay.

It's easy to spot pirates. Just don't buy anything from China or Eastern Europe, unless you're looking for a Ukraine-team Shevchenko jersey with Cyrillic lettering. (or things of that nature.)