WEP Password doesn't work and I can't access router config

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm sure this a complete dumbass move, but I've somehow managed to lock myself out of my router at my home. I had it setup with no security and I was attempting to set up a WEP password and I messed something up. When I click on my network in the airport status dropdown a password box pops up asking for my WEP password. I type what I thought I set it up as and it tells me I'm wrong. My cable provider tells me I may have chose a closed network and need to know my "WEP Key". Naturally I have no idea.

I talked to Motorola tech a few times and they've had me reset the router. My cable modem has been reset by the provider too and I can connect directly to it, but alas no wireless. Obviously the router config address doesn't work. The folks at Motorola tell me I may have turned off my tcp/ip for my router, but that doesn't make much sense to me since I have no trouble connecting to other wireless networks.

I'm trying to avoid buying a new router and starting over, so any help is appreciated. I've got a new 15" Powerbook on the way and I want things to be ready to roll when it arrives in a few days.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    so you have a motorola router?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

so you have a motorola router?

Yes, I have a Motorola WR850G router. If it matters I have a G3 iBook and run 10.3.9.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by greentiger

Yes, I have a Motorola WR850G router. If it matters I have a G3 iBook and run 10.3.9.

ok. i thought maybe you had an airport with a motorola cable modem. anyways, i don't that much about moto routers, but on the airports there is a hard reset button that basically flashes everything on the router back to its factory condition. it's a really small button and i imagine there is something like that one your moto one. sorry i don't know more.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Did you put a $ in front of your WEP password?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424

reg
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Did you put a $ in front of your WEP password?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106424

reg

I've tried the $ and I've reset the router using the button on the back. One of the tech support guys I've talked to said something about needing the WEP Key that gets generated when you choose the WEP security option. Of course I don't have that, so I'm stuck.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If you've reset the router, there is no WEP key. Resetting means going back to factory defaults. I don't know about Motorola routers, but for Linksys routers, when you reset them, the password is always admin.

Try it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

If you've reset the router, there is no WEP key. Resetting means going back to factory defaults. I don't know about Motorola routers, but for Linksys routers, when you reset them, the password is always admin.

Try it.

There may be no WEP key after a reset, but I still get the password requirement. I've tried using a "$" in front of the Moto default password, motorola, along with everything else I can think of and still no luck. Also, a very strange thing happens after I enter the "$", only certain keys enter a "hidden" character into the password field.

Maybe I have a bum router. Maybe I'm just a complete moron. I can connect to any other wireless network with no problem. If I've done a complete reset to the router as per Motorola's instructions, then I lean towards a piece of crap router.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Not necessarily. Why not just re-create your wireless network? It shouldn't take too long, and this time write down your password for future reference.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Not necessarily. Why not just re-create your wireless network? It shouldn't take too long, and this time write down your password for future reference.

That's my goal. Unfortunately as soon as I get everything powered up and my computer picks up the signal I'm asked for a password. This is the problem. I've reset everything I know how to, cable modem, router, and laptop and I'm still getting a password promt. Motorola tech tells me I've reset the router as much as possible, but I'm clearly not starting fresh. Short of reinstalling the OS I've reset everything I know how to and have been told to.

Running this ethernet cable across my living room is cramping my style.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Running this ethernet cable across my living room is cramping my style.

I hear you.

Whenever I have problems, I usually put the Linksys Router Config CD in the drive, connect my laptop to my DSL Modem through an Ethernet cable, and setup my wireless network as if for the first time. That fixes whatever problem there is.

I guess a fresh OS installation wouldn't hurt. It sucks, but if that's the only way...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm glad I use an Apple AirPort Base Station.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I had a similar problem with my netgear wireless.

After several goes, i copied the actual encrypted password (lots of numbers and letters ) and it worked, where before i was typing the passphrase before it was encrypted. Thank god for keychain!!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Does your router have ethernet ports that you can connect computers to? If so, then connect your machine directly to the router and access it from there. You shouldn't need a WEP, since it's a "wired" connection. Once you're in the router's software, you should be able to reset the WEP password. BTW, consider using WPA-personal (also known as WPA-PSK) for your wireless encryption. WPA is a far better protocol.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Thanks for all the advice. I decided to use this as an excuse to upgrade my router. Should have done it several hours before I finally gave up, but oh well.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to use this as an excuse to upgrade my router. Should have done it several hours before I finally gave up, but oh well.

Well if your going for a new router i can recommend Netgears DG834G V2. It has both wireless and 4 lan ports and it tells you the wep key when you type in a password, like you were trying to do And it also looks good infact it looks like apple designed it

Linky