Firefly: the movie

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

one of my favorite subtle things in the series so far (netflix/us postal system has lost one of the discs i sent back, so i am stuck...waiting) is that in every space scene, there is DEAD SILENCE, other than the soundtrack playing. no wooshes and explosions and such. since, you know, you have to have AIR to carry those sounds waves. plus, it just adds to how empty and vast space is when you're in it... simon mentions his fear of it at one point, the fear of so much nothing.

i know, it's a little thing, but man it's a nice touch.

what, 114 days or something now? maybe i'll get my last firefly disc from netflix by then.

You are so right about that. Really the first time since "2001" that I've seen space based sci-fi that took the trouble to treat space as its own aesthetic, rather than a less well lit version of a WWII dog fight. Nice deep, diffusion-less shadows as well.

I also love the rest of the fx style. I've seen the look in a few other things (maybe from the same company?), but it really enhances the mood of the CG work-- snap zooms, camera overshoots and shake, focus pull, hunting for focus, exposure shifts, etc. Not overdone, just enough to sell the idea that what you are seeing has been "photographed" rather than rendered. It matches up nicely with the live action cinematography.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    red alert - SECOND SERENITY TRAILER ONLINE NOW!!!!
  • Reply 43 of 84
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

red alert - SECOND SERENITY TRAILER ONLINE NOW!!!!

That's the second available from the Apple site. There is also an international trailer available here, so there are three different trailers, so far.

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, be on the lookout for the occasional Firefly class ship. Supposedly there are at least two sightings so far.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    i am really hoping for enough word of mouth on this movie to make it enough of a success to bring it back for a sequel or two. i thought everyone who raved about it was over-reacting, but when i saw the whole series through, i became a believer. nay, a browncoat.

8)
  • Reply 45 of 84
    hmmmm... here's something i don't get. we've got three trailers, and not a single one of them shows shepherd book more than a "blink and you'll miss it" shot (he's in the first trailer where kaylee is sitting with a child in her lap while jayne and mal are in a tent. every other character gets at least 3 seconds of face time, but he's strangely absent.

it'll be a pity if he's not in this movie, but maybe joss has plans to focus on him in an upcoming movie?

plus, heck, ron glass just rocks.

• Reply 46 of 84
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

plus, heck, ron glass just rocks.

I think this says enough, without saying too much:

Gina Torres on Serenity

Firefly co-star expects a good reception for the Joss Whedon film.

by Paul Davidson

August 3, 2005 - "[Serenity] is a continuation of where we left off. It's a continuation of the [Firefly] stories," explains actress Gina Torres, who stars as Zoë Washburn in this fall's Serenity, a follow-up to the science fiction series Firefly.

In an interview with Blackfilm.com, Torres assured the show's many fans that the entire beloved crew was returning in Joss Whedon's feature film.

"All of the characters that you came to know and love are all present and are who they are. Circumstances determine certain reactions that we have. Circumstances that are particular to the storyline and so, stakes are very high and therefore we have to react in an appropriate manner."

Torres had words of appreciation for director Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alien IV) and her fellow cast members, particularly veteran Ron Glass. "He's one of our gifts that unfortunately I feel I don't get to see enough of him or his work and what he's capable of."

In the series and the upcoming film, Glass (who starred in the old police sitcom Barney Miller) plays an enigmatic preacher who signs on as a passenger and accompanies the rag-tag crew of the ship Serenity on their various outings and misadventures.

Source: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/638/638800p1.html
  • Reply 47 of 84
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This might make f or some interesting reading before th movie is released. i'm picking up a copy at Amazon.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    I'm a big fan of SciFi, not that every show or movie pushes my buttons. Actually, good SciFi is hard to find IMO. So I wonder what rock I was under when Firefly hit the air?? Never heard of it.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I'm a big fan of SciFi, not that every show or movie pushes my buttons. Actually, good SciFi is hard to find IMO. So I wonder what rock I was under when Firefly hit the air?? Never heard of it.

The problem is you probably blinked. Because that's about how long the series was on. Basically Fox bungled it and rarely promoted it. It's not surprising you may not have heard of it.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    I really need to work on blinking with only one eye at a time. I should also learn to sleep like a dolphin so I can have half a brain awake at all time. Tha way I'll stop missing things.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I really need to work on blinking with only one eye at a time. I should also learn to sleep like a dolphin so I can have half a brain awake at all time. Tha way I'll stop missing things.

One good rule of thumb: if the advance buzz for a show on Fox is really really good, and then you watch the pilot and it seems cool and different and well written, make sure to watch every show they air because they will definitely cancel it within four or five episodes, having killed any chance of building an audience by airing each of those episodes on a different night at a different time with a few two or three week gaps thrown in for good measure.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    you know, technically, i guess the title of this thread should be rebranded to "Serenity: The Firefly Movie." nevertheless...

I saw this posted somewhere,shortly after the announcement of firefly's cancellation:

Quote:

Nathan Fillion (aka Cpt. Mal Reynolds) posted a little farewell note on the Firefly board (well, everyone did, but his was the best one). Included below:

So, here we all are. It seems that we are a living embodiment for the show. We are Browncoats, fighting a war we were never meant to win, but fighting nonetheless. The Fox Alliance has spoken, leaving us to make due with the cards we?ve been dealt. If you are anything like me, you?ve been pulling the record tabs off your precious Firefly VHS tapes, pushing along through your life still bitterly fighting the war from within.

I love Firefly. Walking around the cargo bay, the bridge, it?s all been terribly painful. It does still live inside me, though. With every ?gorram? or ?them as can? I throw unknowingly into my daily conversation, or everytime I sit in the captain?s chair that lives in my heart, I smile with the knowledge of what we?ve accomplished here. We may have been on the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one. I can?t remember who said that.

Keep sending those postcards into to UPN. Every little bit helps, and if ever you see me on the street, just nod and say, ?Captain.? You?ll make my day.

• Reply 53 of 84
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I had heard here and there about Firefly and then saw the whole thing, all episodes, nicely packaged in one big Bittorrent with a ton of seeds and couldn't resist.

I had NO expectations whatsoever, and over a weekend I saw them all. Was really really good. I loved the character development and such.

Go figure that a week after I saw the DVD-rip they announce that a movie is coming out and such

Am really looking forward to seeing it and buying the DVD of Season 1 so I can see and hear with surround on a bigger screen
  • Reply 54 of 84
    I'm waiting for a good deal on the box set, hopefully before the movie comes out. Who knows how valuable those DVDs will be after that
  • Reply 55 of 84
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Just under two weeks to go! Woooo!

Something I've been wondering and haven't been able to find out on the internet, does Serenity (the movie) use the same filming techniques as Firefly (series) did? In other words, the silence in space, the 'hand-held' camera look, etc.

• Reply 56 of 84
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I saw the Box set for $44 at Fry's. Don't know about Amazon.com.

We just finished re-watching everything again. I also saw a ad on FOX. (Same as the downloadable ones.)
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I saw the Box set for $44 at Fry's. Don't know about Amazon.com.

We just finished re-watching everything again. I also saw a ad on FOX. (Same as the downloadable ones.)

Amazon was $34, but I heard that they just lowered the price to $30 or less (the price it was a couple of months ago).
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Just under two weeks to go! Woooo!

Something I've been wondering and haven't been able to find out on the internet, does Serenity (the movie) use the same filming techniques as Firefly (series) did? In other words, the silence in space, the 'hand-held' camera look, etc.

well, joss said the hand-held thing was to try to convey the tight confines of the ship, so i have to assume we'll see that again, whenever they're on the ship anyway.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I heard there was an epic fight over silence in space. I didn't hear who won.\
  • Reply 60 of 84
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I heard there was an epic fight over silence in space. I didn't hear who won.\

Hmmm.... I have a bad feeling they went 'Hollywood' with it, based on the trailers so far....