Is it possible....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
To install eMac OS X Panther onto a quicksilver power mac G4 ? If this works okay, then why did Apple bother to make both "Power Mac G4 OS X 10.3" and "eMac" OS X install disks?

I'm installing these for someone and he was told by a salesman that the eMac OS X software will work, but I had errors installing the second disk. ( tried to install the second disk twice and received errors both times. I ran a hardware test and everything checked out. I started with a freshly formatted HFSS disk. I've got OS 9 on here with no problems.

any information would be appreciated,

Rick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Are you using the system restore disks? What errors are you receiving?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I used to have the 1.25ghz emac and those restore disks are tagged for use only with the emac. For example, i tried installing the emac panther onto my dual 867 and it wouldn't boot from them. After using a retail copy of panther on the dual i tried to get emacs xcode on it with no joy.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Are you using the system restore disks? What errors are you receiving?

They are install disks, eMac, Mac OS Install Disk 1 is version 10.3.2 CD version 1.0 27691-4830-A. There are three install disks in the set.

Thanks,

Rick
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

I used to have the 1.25ghz emac and those restore disks are tagged for use only with the emac. For example, i tried installing the emac panther onto my dual 867 and it wouldn't boot from them. After using a retail copy of panther on the dual i tried to get emacs xcode on it with no joy.

Well, it boots and does seem to work fine, my only concern at this point is what kind of problems might lie ahead when other programs are installed and used. When disk 2 failed to install with out problems twice in a row, I got concerned. Interestingly enough, disk 3 installed perfectly! Also, no problems with all the updates.

So any ways, if these are "restore disks" they don't say so on the disk labels.

Thanks,

Rick