External HD. and Transfer Files

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well I'm making the switch on Tuesday and picking up a 15inch powerbook. I am planning on getting a external HD prob around 160gb to store all of my digital video's. I am going to want to back up my entire collection of miniDV video on this drive that I would like to burn to DVD or save.

How would you set up this external drive with my new mac? Just make a folder with all the captured fotage, or will iMovie or final cut do everything for me and be smart enough to look for the files there.

I am currently on this PC with some music and some photos/psd's that i would like to transfer to the mac. I am currently using itunes with my ipod mini. I am thinking about wiping my ipod and just transfering files that way with the pictures.

What would be the best way to transfer my itunes library. I assume I can take the itunes data file and xml file to the mac to keep all my song names and ratings in tacked. but those files hold location on what song to play which is different on the mac?, file path. also transfer my music the same way it looks on the mac so it reconizes it.

I guess I could just transfer all files and just reimport them but if im not wrong i would have to re-rate them?

also if i want the music and pictures would itunes/ipod/iphoto reconize it.

..any thoughts or sugestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Derek,

Not so sure about the music part of your question, but relating to your storage of mini dv, Foottrack is a good application. I'm not sure how it compares to the media manager in Final Cut Pro (which i have, however been unable to use because i can't add my purchased ram to the base 256mb in my rev b. pbook ) but it has served me well. Originally i imported dv through imovie, but it only really works within a given project.

If you've yet to buy an external HD, look to get as big as you can. For around an extra $20/$30, i'm sure you could find a 250gb version of the equivalent HD you have been looking at, because with dv, space is always needed!