Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday is expected to announce the immediate availability of Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.0 with improved security and broader collaboration features, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources, the free software should be available for download from Microsoft's Mactopia website by morning. It will feature an evolved user interface to better match that of Mac OS X, security enhancements, and other new features currently available with the Windows version.

Additionally, the new Mac version will sport a dual-tab interface to separate corporate and personal messaging accounts, integration with the Global Address List, and enhancements to overall usability.

Sources say the software will allow users to post separate away messages to their personal and client messaging accounts as well as offer improved integration with corporate messaging. The software will feature support for animated emoticons, inline user photos, and other refinements to match the experience of Messenger for Windows.

Microsoft Messenger for Mac 5.0 is expected to make realtime communication and collaboration easier and more secure for corporate Mac customers through added support for Microsoft's Live Communications Server 2005.

When used in conjunction with Live Communication Server and a Public IM Connectivity license, users will be able to communicate with and add users from other messaging services (AIM, Yahoo, etc.) Â*to their corporate messaging tab.

Microsoft last updated Messenger for Mac in October of 2004, when it released Messenger version 4.0.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    How about rolling out Windows Media Player 10 for the Mac?
  • Reply 2 of 66
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Does anyone know if it will be able to do video-chat?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    How about Outlook and Access? For better acceptance of Macs in a corporate environment.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Does anyone know if it will be able to do video-chat?

It won't be able to. Everyone knew it was coming out on the 9th, it's been up for ages! I posted this over at macrumors:

" Today, 05:37 PM\t #45

the-fish

macrumors newbie

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/mac/messenger/default.aspx

The help files for version 5 are back up, the link is http://help.msn.com/EN_US/frameset_...MSN%20Messenger

I think it's being released soon"
  • Reply 5 of 66
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_fish_v2

It won't be able to. Everyone knew it was coming out on the 9th, it's been up for ages! I posted this over at macrumors:

" Today, 05:37 PM\t #45

the-fish

macrumors newbie

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/mac/messenger/default.aspx

The help files for version 5 are back up, the link is http://help.msn.com/EN_US/frameset_...MSN%20Messenger

I think it's being released soon"

Hey there,

How come this new version still won't be able to do video chat? It's really annoying! I've used Adium, and iVisit, and AIM.. I still prefer MSN though. Hmmm.. but it's pretty cool that you knew way before many of us did though!
  • Reply 6 of 66
    I still can't get WMP to work with Tiger.

What's that about?
  • Reply 7 of 66
    I'd much rather see iChat able to communicate with MSN Messenger accounts, as it can with AIM accounts. I like iChat, and would prefer to use only one messenger client.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

How about Outlook and Access? For better acceptance of Macs in a corporate environment.

Question and answer in same post
  • Reply 9 of 66
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

I still can't get WMP to work with Tiger.

What's that about?

I had an issue with WMP playing videos on CNN. Found I had a Disabled Folder in my Internet Plugins folder that contained WMP. Took it out of the disabled folder and put it in the plugins folder. All good. (Well as good as WMP can get anyway.)
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by c2poon

Hey there,

How come this new version still won't be able to do video chat? It's really annoying! I've used Adium, and iVisit, and AIM.. I still prefer MSN though. Hmmm.. but it's pretty cool that you knew way before many of us did though!

Thanks. And they said no there's no such thing as a hacker who uses Macs!

i'm not actually from new zealand i just have scripts running to research stuff.

Apparently they pulled the webcam for mac idea because they'd have to change the msn server configuration or something and obviously microshaft are too lazy to actually do that; they don't care if they're neglecting one of their markets i suppose
  • Reply 11 of 66
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the_fish_v2

Thanks. And they said no there's no such thing as a hacker who uses Macs!

i'm not actually from new zealand i just have scripts running to research stuff.

Apparently they pulled the webcam for mac idea because they'd have to change the msn server configuration or something and obviously microshaft are too lazy to actually do that; they don't care if they're neglecting one of their markets i suppose

No WebCam?! I don't care about dancing emoticons. Only one friend I know has AIM or iChat. Every one else has Yahoo and MSN. Jeez, this is dissapointing Micropoop.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I like iChat, but MSN's dual personal/work accounts is a nice thing.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    but they still aren't implementing the games section are they?.. no minesweepers against your 'other' friends
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Adium, Adium, Adium.

A chatting client without tabs is worthless.

Beyond lame.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I haven't installed any Microsoft software on my Mac. For you current Messenger users, how is it? Do you find it stable and easy to use?

Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

I haven't installed any Microsoft software on my Mac. For you current Messenger users, how is it? Do you find it stable and easy to use?

Thanks

It's very stable and easy to use, but very, very limited. It has just about the same feature set as WebMessenger, except with no animated emoticons...
  • Reply 17 of 66
    If you need an all-in-one messenger client that supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo! and more, it's waiting right here .
  • Reply 18 of 66
    It would be so mint if iChat could connect to the MSN network
  • Reply 19 of 66
    whytoiwhytoi Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwimac

It would be so mint if iChat could connect to the MSN network

You can, by going through Jabber!
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Try Mercury for an MSN messengerclient that allows video and tabbed chat.

http://www.mercury.to/