No Administrator Account 10.3.9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hoping someone knows an easy way around this. I seem to have lost administrator privileges for my account, leaving me with no administrator account on this computer. Any idea how I can upgrade my account to administrator again without an existing administrator name/password?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I did something similar one time when I was reformatting a bunch of machines at my former school. I had to go around to each computer and manually type the admin password. All worked fine except for one of them which I must have mistyped.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but using DiskWarrior I somehow managed to overwrite the admin password without knowing it. At the momment, thats all that I can remember, if I remember something else, I'll post it.

[EDIT]Seconds after posting I also remembered another way to overcome a lost password. Boot from your original OS X install disc. At some point (I don't remember exactly where), there is an option called "Reset Password". This is somewhat dangerous because anyone with an OS X install disk can reset your admin password....[/EDIT]
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasondotcom

Hoping someone knows an easy way around this. I seem to have lost administrator privileges for my account, leaving me with no administrator account on this computer. Any idea how I can upgrade my account to administrator again without an existing administrator name/password?

Do you mean that the account is completely gone, or just that you can't log into it because the password doesn't work?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The account is still there and I can log in to it with the password, the problem is that it has become a standard account. It still works fine, but it was my sole administrator account, so now I can't install new apps etc. I didn't notice when it changed from an administrator account to standard.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

The account is still there and I can log in to it with the password, the problem is that it has become a standard account. It still works fine, but it was my sole administrator account, so now I can't install new apps etc. I didn't notice when it changed from an administrator account to standard.

Something is majorly messed up with the Netinfo database - Mac OS X is always supposed to have at least one administrator.

What happens when you go to the Accounts preference pane? Is there a checkbox to make it Admin?

This might require either a Netinfo guru or a reinstall.

If you can get into Utilities -> Netinfo Manager, click Groups on the left column and then Admin on the middle column and see what it says. You have to be Admin to do this so it may not work.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Thanks for sticking with me on this. In the Accounts System Pane there's no check box next to my account. There's the "click the lock to make changes" lock icon, but that requires an admin name and password so I dunno if that enables a check box. Probably! I saw someone else post elsewhere with the same problem, then two days later they said "never mind I fixed it", then the thread was locked.

I went into NetInfo Manager. Clicking on Groups, there's no Admin in the next level. Clicking on Aliases there is though. Aliases/Administrator brings up the following info in the lower pane: Property: members; Value: root. And Property: name; Value: administrator.

Funnily enough I can use my "administrator's short name" and password to unlock the lock and make changes in NetInfo, but still not in System Prefs or the Finder.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Thanks for sticking with me on this. In the Accounts System Pane there's no check box next to my account. There's the "click the lock to make changes" lock icon, but that requires an admin name and password so I dunno if that enables a check box. Probably! I saw someone else post elsewhere with the same problem, then two days later they said "never mind I fixed it", then the thread was locked.

Did you try your name and password?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I would say back up everything you want to keep, before we try any wacky stuff with NetInfo. I really don't know about it - but if everything is backed up we could try adding an administrator group and putting your account in it. The fact that it has no Admin group at all suggests to me that it somehow got corrupted.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Try the easy things first. Repair permissions. Apps / Utilities / Disk Utilities, select you HD, First Aid then click Repair Disk Permissions. If that does not do it, use your 10.3 install disk and reset the master password. The FAQ's in genius bar has the procedure about half way down.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 11
    This on is not an easy thing to recover from... nor is it easy to get into this situation. Here is the answer:

reboot the computer into single user mode (hold down the Apple and 's' keys).

when you arrive at the command prompt follow the directions on-screen to mount the hd

type in:

Code:

nicl -raw /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb

this will get you to a different command prompt "/ >", from here type in these commands (one at a time):

Code:

cd groups/admin

read

append . users <insert your short name here>

read

quit

Of course you do not have brackets around your short name... and you should be able to figure out what the output of read means... Once you are done with this reboot the computer with the command "reboot now", and you should be all set.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Oh... all the usual warnings apply: you can seriously screw up your system if you make mistakes in NetInfo.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions on this. Unfortunately I can't repair permissions without an admin name and password. So it looks like I'll be trying the scary sounding NetInfo option.

I appreciate that this is a difficult situation to get yourslef into and out of. I'm buggered if I know what I could have done that caused it. Karl's instructions sound pretty straight forward and logical, so I'll let you know how it turns out.