What about iTunes 5.0?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's gotten all the way to 4.9 on iTunes and has no more .x numbers left. So that leaves 5.0 as the next revision. When will we see it and what will change?

I'm guessing they'll release the 5G iPods and iTunes 5.0 at Paris. Details? I dunno, but it seems like a good time to do it, what with the holidays coming up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    rara Posts: 623member
    They can still do 4.10, 4.11, 4.12...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

They can still do 4.10, 4.11, 4.12...

They could. They won't, though, unless absolutely forced to (they'll do 4.9.x instead). 4.10, 11, etc. is clunky-sounding and a bit confusing, esp. to the average non-geek.

I'm really looking for iTunes 5 -- it's been a while now! I also expect it, along with some big iPod announcments, at the Apple Expo in Sept.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm amazed that there hasn't been more response to this thread. \
  • Reply 4 of 30
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm amazed that there hasn't been more response to this thread. \

That does say a lot.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    We've done a lot of iTunes 5.0 threads. I do think it's coming with the next iPod refresh.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    My guess is that 5 has features that are waiting for legal reasons.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

My guess is that 5 has features that are waiting for legal reasons.

It would probably take something major for them to declare 5.0. Actually, there have been so many incremental improvements to version 4 that it's surprising they didn't declare a 5.0 already. Podcasts and video playback alone are a bigger leap than we saw from version 2 to 3.

I bet they'll just declare 5.0 when they add video purchasing as a regular feature of the Music Store.

I'd also like to see the ability to stream audio to multiple Airport Expresses at once.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    With five, it is very likely we are going to see video iPods with video content. Also, expect some nice new added "bonus" features with it. A lot of the features might be not nessesarily within iTunes the program but rather within iTunes the Music Store. iTunes 5 isn't just like any other ".x" release of iTunes, its a MAJOR release, which means, were probably going to get a lot of new things not just a grab bag.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Would there be any further optimization for Tiger that could be done?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    itunes 4.9 gained phone support. so, considering that, i think it would be unlikely for apple to release itunes 5 before there are officially supported phones, etc. it wouldnt make sense for apple to put phone code into 4.9 if they were releasing 4 really soon.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    JUST FSCKING ADD CD-TEXT! AND NO SKIPPING BETWEEN SONGS!

Saving the iTunes info in to the actual FILE (hmm...metadata?) so when we delete a library in iTunes we don't lose all our ratings etc would be reeeeeally nice too.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    and don't forget the nested playlists. Smart folders are fine and all if you actually have all the songs properlly labelled but nested is better i.e. multiple movie soundtracks nested in the MOvies folder instead of XX # of playlistes that you scroll through to find the one you want.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I'd like a separate Audiobooks section in the Source. If podcasts can get separated from the main "music" library, then so should Audiobooks. iTunes will thus hold several different libraries: Music, Podcasts, Audiobooks and, of course, Movies. Why should my music videos get mixed up with my normal music?

As an aside, movies stored in the Movies library should have there space under Movies/iTunes/iTunes Movies in my Home folder. Podcasts should be stored under Music/iTunes/Podcasts and Audiobooks under, you guessed it, Music/iTunes/Audiobooks. Again, why store Podcast, Audiobook and movie files under iTunes Music?

I guess it would make sense to store Music, Movies, Podcasts, Audiobooks in the main iTunes folder. As such the iTunes folder would probably be best to out of Music altogether and sit directly in my home folder. For example, danielctull/iTunes/Podcasts.

Well that's how I feel it should be organised, but I bet I'll get complaints about how it doesn't matter about the structure of folders and hierarchy what with Spotlight now... Well I happen to like things in their own place and know where they are and what's happening.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I'd like to be able to listen to podcasts in high speed like you can do with audiobooks. Some of them don't need to be at only regular speed.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Saving the iTunes info in to the actual FILE (hmm...metadata?) so when we delete a library in iTunes we don't lose all our ratings etc would be reeeeeally nice too.

The problem with doing this is that people who share the same music files on different accounts would be forced to use the same ratings.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

JUST FSCKING ADD CD-TEXT! AND NO SKIPPING BETWEEN SONGS!

I totally agree....

I also think that the biggest weakness that itunes is the itunes radio. Having a big list of genre's is lame. They could give it a consistant interface similar to the rest of itunes. They could let me record content from the radio and store it. More and more radio stations each day are multicasting their content on the net at the same time so it would be hard to do this. I know this is a dueling strategy with podcasting, but the radio is behind the times with the rest of itunes.

I would also like to see more genre's than what they have. The store is much bigger than it used to be, so we know the specific genre list is probably larger than what they have in the drop down menu. This isn't a big deal, but the sheer marketing aspect of saying there are 30 genre's in the store really shows a lot.

I would also like to see a ticker on the itunes music store indicating how many songs they have sold. I think it was cool to see the ticker leading up to the 100 Millionth and 500 Millionth song.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    All I ask for the PC version is that it starts up in less than 5 min.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I want it to do podcasting better, standard RSS, and FTLOG USE BITTORRENT...no one has to share, but the geeks and general good "netizens" could use iTunes and not screw the small podcaster at the same time...and fix the bugs in their ranking system...and put diggnation back where it was before the script kiddies had their fun and apple cencored^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H removed it...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

I totally agree....

I would also like to see more genre's than what they have. The store is much bigger than it used to be, so we know the specific genre list is probably larger than what they have in the drop down menu. This isn't a big deal, but the sheer marketing aspect of saying there are 30 genre's in the store really shows a lot.

You do know you can do that yourself just by typing it in yourself in the genre line of a particular song, right? That's what I do - and have all kinds of genres and subgenres available now in the list.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

You do know you can do that yourself just by typing it in yourself in the genre line of a particular song, right? That's what I do - and have all kinds of genres and subgenres available now in the list.

I have "DMB" and "DMB Live" genres specifically for all things Dave Matthews Band, to keep it from being thrown in with all the "Rock" stuff.