5th-generation iPods to sport Apple scroll-wheel

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Good point, a squirrel ball like that would not work well in a device that is meant to slip in your pocket... ummmmm?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeriqo

I don't see the scrollball in anything going in your pocket.. but that could be an option for the video iPod

Too bad I didn't get back sooner. You beat me to it!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I believe the new ipod scroll weel will be like the 3g(weel) but without the butttons on top, those buttons will be incorporated into the weel. But instead of pushing down like in 4g ipods you will only have to press, and like a laptop trackpad when one presses down the fingers will be detected.

Besides that I am happy Apple is moving in the direction of making their technology. Hopefully Apple has learned their lesson with trackpad issues, so they can incorporate only the best in their new Ipods.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Actually, I was surprised that Apple didn't buy both Synaptics and Portalplayer when they had the chance before they went public. That way Apple would have owned the technology. There is always some possibility that Synaptics can license certain aspects of it to Apple's competitors.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeriqo

Oh yeah, so it would take 5min to scroll through your entire library.

You're wrong

The reason you have infinite acceleration and infinite scrolling on the scroll wheel is the ability to be able to go in circles -- round and round, it just keeps going.

This is also a capability of the BALL on the Mighty Mouse. You seem to think it can go either up / down or left / right ... it can behave like the wheel.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    What I really want is a larger capacity iPod. 60 GB just isn't enough to take all the music I want to put onto it. Are there any rumours out there of 80 GB iPods? That would make the 5th generation pods something to get excited about.

Eluard \
  • Reply 27 of 31
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eluard

What I really want is a larger capacity iPod. 60 GB just isn't enough to take all the music I want to put onto it. Are there any rumours out there of 80 GB iPods? That would make the 5th generation pods something to get excited about.

Eluard \

I go with playlists myself. I put everything as Apple Lossless, so even if I tried to put everything on an 80GB iPod I would fall short - therefore I create different playlists. I have podcasts and files to store on it too.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

You're wrong

The reason you have infinite acceleration and infinite scrolling on the scroll wheel is the ability to be able to go in circles -- round and round, it just keeps going.

This is also a capability of the BALL on the Mighty Mouse. You seem to think it can go either up / down or left / right ... it can behave like the wheel.

Sure, it can behave like a wheel, but being so small, it'd be very difficult to go round and round without losing control or having your finger come off of it. Learning the 'correct' way would take a lot more time then it should. And may not be possible for many users (not everyone has thumb dexterity to move little objects around).

And then you have the issue with using it to click away with. My sister bought some Creative mini MP3 player (she wanted an FM tuner and something that would work with all those music services out there, if she ever bought music from them, that is). Its got this silly little (and its little) control wheel (not a ball) to navigate with. You push it left or right to go between menu options and all, then click it to select. Great idea, I guess. But I had nothing but problems trying to get the thing to where I wanted to go without clicking the wheel before I got there. That's the problem with small, and definitely the problem with small and multi-use. You have to be more dillegent with how you use it, which makes it less easy to use.

Then you got the whole "Shove it in your pocket, watch the volume go insane on you!" problem. And then, on top of all that, what exactly is the benefit for this on the iPod (not some mythical video iPod, mind you, just your normal iPod that exists)? The iPod needs to be large to fit the components and battery. A larger screen doesn't give you much extra for an iPod ("ooh, look, you can almost make out what the album cover looks like!"), esp for most iPod users, who use it to listen to music, not reading, browsing, looking at pictures, etc. You don't want to make the device much less taller, as you need the dimensions so you can sense without looking which is up (i.e. the same complaint people had with the hockey puck mouse). And making it proportionally smaller gets it to the mini's size, which makes the mini less appealing.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Think about it. What iPod is too small for a click wheel...the shuffle. I imagine that if they ever do get a screen on the ipod shuffle, it will have the scroll button thing on the Apple might mouse

also,

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Actually, I was surprised that Apple didn't buy both Synaptics and Portalplayer when they had the chance before they went public. That way Apple would have owned the technology. There is always some possibility that Synaptics can license certain aspects of it to Apple's competitors.

Synaptics couldn't really licence much because Apple probably has a long term agreement for them not to licence any material to other companies, and, even if they have them touch bad technology, Apple has the wheel desgin pattented. Some brands already use touch pad type UIs, like some Creative players.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

What's the real gain here? Was there something Synaptics wasn't giving them that Apple really felt they needed?

Then there's the problem if malfunctioning. We all remember the trackpad woes when Apple first debuted their trackpad design on powerbooks. It would suck to have the same situation repeated as the 5th generation iPod rolls out the door to thunderous applause, and lots of eager first adopters.

Apple just loves to kick around the third parties. *sigh*

So, you're just cutting/pasting your comments from macrumors? Thanks for the insight!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Think about it. What iPod is too small for a click wheel...the shuffle. I imagine that if they ever do get a screen on the ipod shuffle, it will have the scroll button thing on the Apple might mouse

also,

Synaptics couldn't really licence much because Apple probably has a long term agreement for them not to licence any material to other companies, and, even if they have them touch bad technology, Apple has the wheel desgin pattented. Some brands already use touch pad type UIs, like some Creative players.

Most of that technology belongs to Synaptics. I've been following this. These technology deals work both ways. If Apple is buying it from them then certain agreements are in force. If Apple ceases being a customer for it, then the agreements change. I haven't seen any patents from Apple relating directly to this. Synaptics does hold some.