iPod Going Nuts!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
First off:

iPod 3rd Generation 15 gig

I get up this morning and grab my iPod to sync it up with the computer. I look at the screen (before I've connected it) and it has a check mark with "OK to Disconnect" below it. The switch was not on hold.

Pressing menu and anything doesn't do anything. Moving the Hold switch to the hold position puts the little lock icon on the screen and moving the switch back takes it off again. I tried connecting the iPod into the computer. It brought up the disk utility info window that says that it doesn't recognize the disk and that I can either initialize it, ignore it, or eject it. I'm like WTF. I open up Disk Utility and it lists the drive and says it is unrecognizable and that it's capacity is only 6 gigs!! It's a 15 gig iPod! what happened to the other 9 gigs? I know I had about 9 gigs of music on there so these two have to go hand in hand.

I decided to run the iPod software update (June 26th update is the latest I could find) and it said that it saw an iPod (Yay), but when I hit the "Restore" button, it said that the iPod had the "wrong structure" and couldn't be restored. WTF... again!

I tried resetting the iPod by holding down the Menu and Select buttons as the directions say to do (with the hold switch set to off of course) and nothing happens, it doesn't reset at all.

Help ME!

[EDITED]

The iPod software update I used was from June 26, not July 1st.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let me first ask this: Do you know how easy it is to put all your music back onto the iPod using iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    Yes, I do
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Please forgive me then. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but what's the big deal? Something about your iPod went goofy and it needs to be restored. It's a simple enough process, so why not just do it?

If it continues to do the same thing, then you'll need to get concerned.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Please forgive me then. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but what's the big deal? Something about your iPod went goofy and it needs to be restored. It's a simple enough process, so why not just do it?

He said that he tried to restore it but it wouldn't work...

"I decided to run the iPod software update (July 1st update is the latest I could find) and it said that it saw an iPod (Yay), but when I hit the "Restore" button, it said that the iPod had the "wrong structure" and couldn't be restored.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Reformat (initialize) in Disk Utility, then restore in iPod Updater.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Tried zero-ing it, reformatting, and initializing it. When it came to erasing it, it froze in the "Preparing to Erase" stage and just stood still, left it for nearly 4 hours to see what would happen. Nothing. I'm going to take it to my nearest Apple Store tomorrow, (or I should say today since it's like 1 am)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yeah, that's your best course of action because I'm out of ideas. Sounds like a hardware issue, my friend. Not so good.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Turns out my HD has gone to that special electronic graveyard in the sky.