Switching on Tuesday!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So im getting a 15inch powerbook, 17inch is too big and 12inch is too small/res. Prob with 1gb of ram (should i get 2x512 or 1x1gb). i want the 128mb video card version for longer life out of it but im not sure if resalers carry all versions so i may have to get the 64mb. keeping the 80gb hdd, and buying a external 160+ to store digital media.

Dont know what else to say but im pumped.

Also picking up a digital SLR to go with iphoto, looking at the Canon Rebel. but would like at least 200mm lens.

also a printer/scanner is also in order, would prob like to print some of the prints at home.

i would like to also get some kind of external display but that will prob be later.

i realize the powerbooks arnt up to what they could be with the intel switch, but ive had this windows for 5 years now and need to switch.

desktops are out of the question.

so any comments or sugestions on anything i said?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I would get the GB as one chip, though I would look to installing it myself. Cant remember what the base RAM is, but from memory this would take you to 1.5GB.

As for the video card unless you are looking to play games you should be fine. I guess it will depend on what your resellers carries or is willing to modify/install.

Remember to consider applecare (or an alternative) at some stage before the year is up. When these things break the costs can be astronomical.

Good luck on your purchase.

• Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

So im getting a 15inch powerbook, 17inch is too big and 12inch is too small/res. Prob with 1gb of ram (should i get 2x512 or 1x1gb). i want the 128mb video card version for longer life out of it but im not sure if resalers carry all versions so i may have to get the 64mb. keeping the 80gb hdd, and buying a external 160+ to store digital media.

Dont know what else to say but im pumped.

Also picking up a digital SLR to go with iphoto, looking at the Canon Rebel. but would like at least 200mm lens.

also a printer/scanner is also in order, would prob like to print some of the prints at home.

i would like to also get some kind of external display but that will prob be later.

i realize the powerbooks arnt up to what they could be with the intel switch, but ive had this windows for 5 years now and need to switch.

desktops are out of the question.

so any comments or sugestions on anything i said?

don't go with the 2x512, cripples your upgrade chances later. I'll second the suggestion to get the 512 and buy your own 1GB stick...1.5G ought to hold you over for a while.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I don't understand what it is with people wanting to switch from real computers to Macincrap. They're slow... ass ugly... and there's what... 10 programs you can run on them... all versions years behind the same thing on Windows. I was using a friends Mac... it was running really slow so I suggested that he defrag the hard drive. Uh... you can't? What's the deal with that... you have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything just to defrag?... Real innovative!

Windows has been around for about 20 years now... so it's much more mature than OS X. I guess with only a tiny percentage of people using Macs (Hmm... I wonder why that is)... most of which don't know jack squat about computers anyway... they're happy with the Playskool features. I don't know anyone that gets actual work done on them. They're more for show.. just like the iPod.

Tons of websites don't work right using the Mac browser. You can't do any of the cool things with Active X like you can with Internet Explorer. Active X is a major thing... how stupid could someone be not to include support for one of the webs most important features?

There's also no easy way to completely uninstall a program with OS Ass... In Windows... Add/Remove Programs... pretty simple concept there Apple. Windows folks know about all the registry entries, hidden folder, and files left over if you just delete a program folder. I guess Apple knows their users are too stupid to know about all the crap that's left over. Sure, just delete it... then wonder why you're machine runs like junk when you've installed and then just "deleted" programs.

Having said all that... I switched (well bought... I still have PCs) my first Mac... an iBook about a year ago. I love it! It's the 800MHz G4 version... and it runs Tiger fine. I've been looking for a reason to upgrade... but the incremental performance boosts haven't really made it worth going out and getting a new one... besides... there isn't anything I want to do on my iBook that I can't already do. Oh yeah... about all the stuff above... just rattling some cages

It is Friday after all!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Did you consider an iBook? I think they're a better deal right now. The screen resolution is higher on the PowerBook, and it's superior in other ways, but otherwise similarly equipped, there's about a $1000 difference. That's too much for what you get, IMO.

If you've got the money, the PowerBook is the way to go, but I think the savings you'd get with the iBook make it attractive right now relative to the PowerBook.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

besides... there isn't anything I want to do on my iBook that I can't already do. Oh yeah... about all the stuff above... just rattling some cages

It is Friday after all!

Very nice! That's the way to end a week. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 15
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Yes I have looked at the ibook, due to the graphics and a bigger budget it decided to go with the powerbook. and I want the bigger screen/res.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Have you read about the Quartz 2D Extreme technology that will probably be enabled in a future version of Tiger? ArsTechnica It shows that Apple is moving the majority of the drawing software to the graphics card, which means that VRAM is going to become limited quickly. If you're looking to future-proof your machine, you might want to really try for the 128 MB option.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cool shopping trip!

I shoot canon (10D with several lenses), and a friend of mine has the latest digital rebel - it's first in it's class no question. Get it with the kit lens, then add a 200 later, there are lots of nice choices for as much or as little as you'll care to spend.

good luck!

john
  • Reply 9 of 15
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I don't understand what it is with people wanting to switch from real computers to Macincrap. They're slow... ass ugly... and there's what... 10 programs you can run on them... all versions years behind the same thing on Windows. I was using a friends Mac... it was running really slow so I suggested that he defrag the hard drive. Uh... you can't? What's the deal with that... you have to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything just to defrag?... Real innovative!

Windows has been around for about 20 years now... so it's much more mature than OS X. I guess with only a tiny percentage of people using Macs (Hmm... I wonder why that is)... most of which don't know jack squat about computers anyway... they're happy with the Playskool features. I don't know anyone that gets actual work done on them. They're more for show.. just like the iPod.

Tons of websites don't work right using the Mac browser. You can't do any of the cool things with Active X like you can with Internet Explorer. Active X is a major thing... how stupid could someone be not to include support for one of the webs most important features?

There's also no easy way to completely uninstall a program with OS Ass... In Windows... Add/Remove Programs... pretty simple concept there Apple. Windows folks know about all the registry entries, hidden folder, and files left over if you just delete a program folder. I guess Apple knows their users are too stupid to know about all the crap that's left over. Sure, just delete it... then wonder why you're machine runs like junk when you've installed and then just "deleted" programs.

Having said all that... I switched (well bought... I still have PCs) my first Mac... an iBook. I love it! It's the 800MHz G4 version... and it runs Tiger fine. I've been looking for a reason to upgrade... but the incremental performance boosts haven't really made it worth going out and getting a new one... besides... there isn't anything I want to do on my iBook that I can't already do. Oh yeah... about all the stuff above... just rattling some cages

It is Friday after all!

Be careful when posting to threads with potential switchers. Someone might actually believe what you wrote.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Keep the current HD and go with the big external HD. I have taken tons of pictures and you can fill up a HD quickly. If you go with the Rebel get the XT with the lens kit. It is about $100 more than just the body. The XT is a lot better than the 300. Then you can find the 28 - 200 for about $350. That way you will have 2 lens. The Canon photostitch program is great so get a tripod if you don't already have one.

reg
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

don't go with the 2x512, cripples your upgrade chances later.

How much memory do you really need in a PB?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

My friend has 2GB and says it was the best thing he's ever done.

Of course not everyone needs 2GB now. But you might need it later so it's better to keep your options open.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Dude, remember the mantra...

You can NEVER have enough RAM.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Especially with PhotoShop!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Be careful when posting to threads with potential switchers. Someone might actually believe what you wrote.

Uhh, not on fridays.