Installer Logs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When apps get updates, such as Microsoft Office, there is a installer log dropped into the hard drive.

Can I safely dump these or is there a need for them?

Also, they are not dumped in documents, isnt that where they should be if needed?

I would prefer to trash them if its safe.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Yes you can trash log files, they are only provided for your benefit in case something goes wrong in the install. I agree, it would be nice to have them automatically dumped into a subfolder in the Documents folder. Maybe there's a configuration setting that will allow this.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Yes you can trash log files, they are only provided for your benefit in case something goes wrong in the install. I agree, it would be nice to have them automatically dumped into a subfolder in the Documents folder. Maybe there's a configuration setting that will allow this.

It would seem to make sense to do it this way. I bet people have tons of these logs sitting in the hard drive.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    As soon as I get home I'm going to try to figure out how to do this.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

As soon as I get home I'm going to try to figure out how to do this.

If the log files are always on the desktop, and they end in ".log", this works:

tell app "Finder" to move every item of desktop whose name extension is "log" to the Trash
  • Reply 5 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If the log files are always on the desktop, and they end in ".log", this works:

tell app "Finder" to move every item of desktop whose name extension is "log" to the Trash

I find that they aree usually deposited in the hard drive.

If I double click on my HD icon, they are sitting right there, next to the applications and nsystem folders, etc.