leather furniture

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'll be moving from Austin to Houston in a month and the wife and I are going to be doing a furniture upgrade.

I love the look and feel of leather couches, the wife doesn't, and the reason is that you stick to leather. At least, you stick to the leather in my car.

Is this true of all leather couches?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'll be moving from Austin to Houston in a month and the wife and I are going to be doing a furniture upgrade.

I love the look and feel of leather couches, the wife doesn't, and the reason is that you stick to leather. At least, you stick to the leather in my car.

Is this true of all leather couches?

We have one. Not my experience. Of course the more sweaty your skin...well...then yes I guess. Overall I LOVE my leather couch. Very nice.

Be careful though...and if you have already shopped you'll know this..."leather" is a broad term meaning that there is an incredibly wide range of leathers from the kind I would never let any kid (mine included) near...to pretty sturdy varieties. The much softer varieties (less sturdy) also less "sticky".

Don't know if you have kids...but that may affect your choices.

Also...painted vs. stained are different things.

Good luck. Have fun.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Alright--another person I can yell at during during rush hour! w00t!!! (j/k - Welcome to Houston!)

I have a leather chair at home and, well, I stick to it during the summer. But, Houston isn't known for it's *arid* climate, so I surmise that it's caused by the humidity.

On the other hand, have you looked at "micro-fiber" couches? The look and feel like suede, but are synthetic (and therefore easily cleaned). The wife and I bought one about a year ago, and it's da b0mb!
  • Reply 3 of 40
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Compromise and buy suede.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I had a leather couch and liked it a lot. Humidity could be a problem, but I'd imagine in Houston the a/c is always blasting, no?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    what ever you do, don't skimp out and buy something of dubious quality. as in most other things, all furniture is not created equal and bad craftsmanship will not last. so even if you end spending more than you wanted to, in the long run you will be better off. i suggest you do some research on manufactures before you hit the showrooms.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

but I'd imagine in Houston the a/c is always blasting, no?

Without a doubt. I do not allow it to go above 75 degrees in any weather.

If I can keep it ~70 I'm a happy guy.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    ke^inke^in Posts: 98member
    grover just wants leather furniture so every time he moves, he can make obnoxious fart noises.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    resres Posts: 711member
    I've had leather furniture and find that the temperature really influences compfort. At cold temperatures I love leather, but when it is hot, bare skin will stick to leather and I find it quite unpleasant.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ke^in

grover just wants leather furniture so every time he moves, he can make obnoxious fart noises.

HELL YEAH!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I like leather. It's far more durable of course and you deal with the heat/humidity question by putting on a chenille throw blanket or something else along the backside. Adds a splash of color and some softness and you'll earn your Christopher Lowell bonus points for decorative ideas.

Leather couches don't stain easily and cleaning them is a snap. With leather you just have to choose the right design...well hell with "any" couch you have to choose the right design. Put your foot down and exert your dominance here Grove. She's got "bling bling" on the finger now I'm sure she wouldn't mind you getting a nice couch to watch some UT sports :P
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Courtesy of Cake:

Italian Leather Sofa

She doesn't care whether or not he's an island

She doesn't care just as long as his ship's coming in

They laugh they make money

He's got a gold watch

She's got a silk dress and healthy breasts

that bounce on his Italian leather sofa.

She doesn't care whether or not he's a good man

She doesn't care just as long as she still has her friends

they laugh, they make money

He's got a gold watch

That bounce on his Italian leather sofa

She's got a serrated edge

that she moves back and forth

It's such a simple machine she doesn't have to use force

When she gets what she wants,

she puts the rest on a tray in a ziplock bag

[REPEAT]

...in the freezer

She doesn't care just as long as his ship's coming in

They laugh, they make money

He's got a gold watch

that bounce on his Italian leather sofa
  • Reply 12 of 40
    We have a leather sofa with one of the high end types of leather. We didn't want to pay that much, but the color we wanted was only availabe in that grade leather. However, now that we have it it feels so soft and has aged without any problems. The better leather feels softer and warmer.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I have a leather reading chair that is very possibly the best purchase I ever made. I avoid sticking to it by a) living somewhere that isn't tropical and b) wearing clothes.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I have a leather reading chair that is very possibly the best purchase I ever made. I avoid sticking to it by a) living somewhere that isn't tropical and b) wearing clothes.

Which makes me question the premise of the Cake song...
  • Reply 15 of 40
    aryaarya Posts: 1member
    Yeah I will go with whatever most of the others said here there is perhaps no alternatives to leather when it comes to choosing a furniture. However there are times when you can take a little gamble but overall the best idea is to remain glued to the leather ones only.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    You'll go with what others are saying?

This thread was last active almost 2 years ago!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Leather sofa is murder. If you weren't all cold blooded monsters you'd be buying hemp furniture.

Fare-trade hemp grown on sustainable plantations that provide an economic alternative to rainforest devastating subsistence agriculture.

But that's OK, you just go ahead and get that leather sofa so the PAIN AND TERROR OF A SLAUGHTERED FELLOW CREATURE CAN LEACH INTO YOUR ASS EVERY TIME YOU SIT DOWN.

Which I'm pretty sure causes cancer. Of the ass.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    What? This all happened two years ago? Never mind. Although.....

If you went ahead and got that sofa I would get yourself to an ass doctor, ASAP. Murderer.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What? This all happened two years ago? Never mind. Although.....

If you went ahead and got that sofa I would get yourself to an ass doctor, ASAP. Murderer.

Riiiiight..........

The Native Americans used animal hide (leather) for teepees.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Riiiiight..........

The Native Americans used animal hide (leather) for teepees.

Native Americans were assholes. And murderers. Good riddance, I say.