apps to be ported to Macos X (10.4 or 10.5): wishlist!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
do you think that the switch to intel will make more apps ported to macos X (10.4 or 10.5)??, if so, provide a list of the apps you would like to see them ported to Macos X.

I would like products from Ansys, PTC, Fluent and MSC.Software to run in a mac... that would be awesome!!! no more Windows or Linux boxes at work

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    unless os x also gets win 32 api, nope. optimization will be easier for cross plat form code.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    3D Studio MAX!!!!!!!!8)
  • Reply 3 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Windows Media Player, MSN, AIM, IE, and umm KaZaA. Or other P2P.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Software I would like to see on a Mac:

1 - Family Tree Maker

2 - Quicken

3 - Access

Notes:

1 - Reunion is a genealogy application that has been on the Mac for many years, but my mom uses Family Tree Maker and it would be easier, theoretically, (see Quicken), to share/update/merge information/reports if there was a Mac version of FTM.

2 - Yes, there is a Mac version of Quicken, but I was not able to open/import my Quicken 2001 file with Quicken 2004 for Mac. The Windows extension is .qdf and the Mac extension is .qdfm so I had to start over and lose fours years of data. I still have data files and I would like to get the information into my Mac, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

3 - As much as I would like to have Access on my iBook I am going to have to accept Microsoft will not release a Mac version. Hopefully, Apple will have a database in the next version of iWork that is relational. Until then, I guess I can learn MySQL and add it to my resume`.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    i'd love to see autocad ported, but fat chance
  • Reply 6 of 37
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    If we could get ACT ported to OS X, we'd have a good shot at converting whole businesses over to Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Xsi looks likely to me with the advent of Intel Cpus...and more Mac marketshare gains...may see a port circa 2007.

Not on my wishlist though. We already have the best. Maya. Lightwave.

Shove Xsi and Max, I say.

Xara. It beats Illustrator all ends up on speed. Xara. That would be on my wish list.

I can't think of anything else. We have the best of almost everything else.

Oh. A version of City of Heroes for the Mac. THE online experience...too addictive though...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 8 of 37
    i would love to see an open API or some real-time emulation (similar to Classic in OS X) so that i can play games the $5 older games at BestBuy (who needs the newest version for an extra $40).

As per a specific program, i would like to see The Font Thing, a free font viewer that can display an example of non-installed fonts.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Bill Gates list:

MSBlast, Mellisa, Iluvu, and of course, who could forget the virus with the coolest payload ever..WORM_cisum.a (this .mp3 file was played oncer per 5 seconds)
  • Reply 10 of 37
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

As per a specific program, i would like to see The Font Thing, a free font viewer that can display an example of non-installed fonts.

You can get an example of a non-installed font by double clicking on it! It opens in FontBook and shows you a sample. Or is that not what you mean?

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

You can get an example of a non-installed font by double clicking on it! It opens in FontBook and shows you a sample. Or is that not what you mean?

Amorya

No. I want the program to print a list of any sample text from every font in a folder of 3,000+ fonts
  • Reply 12 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

No. I want the program to print a list of any sample text from every font in a folder of 3,000+ fonts

OS X includes an AppleScript that does just that.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

2 - Yes, there is a Mac version of Quicken, but I was not able to open/import my Quicken 2001 file with Quicken 2004 for Mac. The Windows extension is .qdf and the Mac extension is .qdfm so I had to start over and lose fours years of data. I still have data files and I would like to get the information into my Mac, but I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Step 1) Export your Quicken Windows data to .qif format.

Step 2) Import into Quicken Mac.

Step 3) There is no step 3.

Worked for me when I moved to Mac. Exported by my wife and my file without problems.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Step 1) Export your Quicken Windows data to .qif format.

Step 2) Import into Quicken Mac.

Step 3) There is no step 3.

Worked for me when I moved to Mac. Exported by my wife and my file without problems.

Thanks for the advice. I will work on it this weekend. Hopefully, it will not be too much trouble to get the two files merged.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Windows Media Player, MSN, AIM, IE, and umm KaZaA. Or other P2P.

os x already runs WMP,AIM,IE,and Limewire (far superior P2P than Kazaa)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    • Reg Cleaner For OSX

• OSX SpyWare Remover

• OSX Popup Blocker

• 1001 Fonts

• 1001 ClipArt Graphics

• Reply 17 of 37
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Games like Half Life 2. As long as they are playable...\
  • Reply 18 of 37
    os x doesnt need spyware or registrey cleaner software. thats one of the great things about owning a mac and it running os x
  • Reply 19 of 37
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Figital

os x doesnt need spyware or registrey cleaner software. thats one of the great things about owning a mac and it running os x

I think Thinkdifferent was being a tad ironic there...
  • Reply 20 of 37
    your right, haha i didnt notice. it's hard to pick that up in text