Will Changing DST Cause More Problems Than Y2K?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
How much havoc will the change to DST cause? I wonder how many devices are hardcoded for the current dates and cannot be updated? This might be interesting...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

How much havoc will the change to DST cause? I wonder how many devices are hardcoded for the current dates and cannot be updated? This might be interesting...

Huh?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Daylight Savings Time

Most things now get their times by syncing over a network. Things like VCRs and televisions could have some problems. Maybe ATMs and such? Some of those systems of kinda old. Thing about daylight savings is that if you see the error its usually easy enough to just manually push the hour forwards or back.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I get that, but I wasn't aware of any alteration of DST or whatnot, nor that it should cause any sort of problem. We've been using DST for years.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I get that, but I wasn't aware of any alteration of DST or whatnot, nor that it should cause any sort of problem. We've been using DST for years.

They extended it in this energy bill. You know, so you don't have to use your lights as much because the sun will be out for an hour longer.

I actually think it's a good idea because I hate how dark it gets at that time of year for the kids on Halloween. But I don't have any idea if it will screw things up. I heard that we'll be off from much of the rest of the world though.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    BTW, officially it is Daylight Saving Time. Anyway I have read reports that the overall monetary savings that this time change will bring is so negligible that its almost not worth it. The only real benefit will be a few more weeks of sunshine when you drive home from work in the fall.