Switched! Questions...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey,

All I can say is its about time!! and WOW!!

I got:

Dual 2.0ghz G5

1.5GB ram

160gb 7200rpm

Superdrive

128mb Radeon 9600

extra multibutton mouse

19inch Samsung 913t

A few questions...

I downloaded MSN 5 and installed with ease. but its got a disk img on my desktop and it wont let me eject or get rid of it?

Also, were is my fast user switching? and on the user note.. how do you install apps accross all users?

Screen resolution, the monitor says 1280 x 1024 but is set to 1100 x 800 (something liek that) and when i switch to 1280 x 1024 it seems stretched and the other one seems to blur the text? but at 1280x1024 i seem to be getting use to it... not so much streched.

Ram...

I got a 1gb stick at the store and would upgrade myself.

I knew from PC how to upgrade and was easier on the mac. just put my stick in and click it in.

When i was in there it was 2x256 instead of 1x512? not a big deal. but in About this Mac it says only 512total!!??

I got 1024mb DDR PC3200 Kingston Ram? is this incorrect?

all in all what a great computer!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    A few things. First the RAM has to be installed in matching pairs. You always have to install 2x something. So if you wanted an extra 1GB you need to install 2x512 MB. I believe you also need to install them in a certain order but I really can't recall on that right now.

For apps if they don't have a strict installer, and a lot of OS X apps don't, just drag it to the applications folder. It won't unmount because you are probably running Messenger from the disk image itself.

I can't really comment on the screen issue sorry but enjoy the new comp.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Applications in the Applications Folder are automatically available to all users. So that's that.

You can "turn on" the fast user switching by going to your System Preferences and click on Users. Now I'm using Mac OS Panther, so it might be different from Tiger, but then you go to Login Options and the check box is in there.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    I started it up today after i shut it down last night... and the fans just keep getting louder and louder like its going to take off.

it stays at the Apple logo start up screen for over 20min.. so i just reset....

Whats up?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    You know that all new Apple's come with 90 days of phone support. Call Apple Care and they can help you. It's very possible that the unmatching RAM is causing you a system problem.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yes, as the others have pointed out, the G5 has interleaved memory access so you cannot install just one 1GB DIMM. You have to install RAM in pairs of equal size. That is why the machine is not recognizing the extra 1GB, that is why it came with 2 256s instead of one 512, and that is why it won't boot.

Buy another 1 GB DIMM.

All of this is in the manual that comes with the computer, BTW. It even has pictures.

Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Derek

Also, were is my fast user switching?

In panther it is in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options then check the Enable fast user switching box.

Quote:

Screen resolution, the monitor says 1280 x 1024 but is set to 1100 x 800 (something liek that) and when i switch to 1280 x 1024 it seems stretched and the other one seems to blur the text? but at 1280x1024 i seem to be getting use to it... not so much streched.

You should be able to adjust the sharpness and Geometry from the monitor controls.

Quote:

all in all what a great computer!!

Yes, I am green
  • Reply 7 of 7
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    I am also a Switcher(TM) with a couple random questions:

[1] In iCal, is there anyway to assign an alarm for Birthdays? I am guessing a work-around is to create conventional appointments for birthdays, but that's not very user-friendly...

[2] In iPhoto:

- is there any way to arrange keywords (from the "get

info" dialog) alphabetically? (They seem to appear in

the order to which they are added to the keyword

list)

- is the only way to add keywords is via Preferences?

(if I am importing a new set of photos it's

inconvenient to have to launch preferences to create

new keywords)

Thanks!