Final curtain call for PowerPC-based PowerBooks?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 210
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The new PowerBooks are also expected to be the first Macs to gain support for dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM, which can reach higher frequencies with less energy consumption than standard DDR SDRAM.

Why dual channel? The 7448 only has a 200 MHz SDR FSB. Performance-wise, they may be better off with a single channel PC3200, and they really wouldn't lose anything in power if they stuck with PC3200.

Quote:

At least one of the two new models will also gain a higher resolution (or higher density) display, sources say. ... 17-inch PowerBook referencing an unannounced model with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels.

Hoping for the 15" to have (if existing 3:2 aspect ratio) 1920x1280 or 1440x960 resolution options.

Quote:

Precisely what will become of Apple's 12-inch PowerBook offering is an unknown. Prior to Apple's announcement to switch to Intel-based processors in 2006, reliable sources said Apple planned to abandon its 12-inch PowerBook offering with the release of the current model.

For the next Powerbook update, there should be a Powerbook 12". I can't see how the Apple bean counters would not want it. It's just an iBook sold with $200+ more profit.

Quote:

The new PowerBooks are expected to be powered by Freescale's new MPC7448 PowerPC G4 processors. The MPC7448 is based on Freescale e600 PowerPC core, and boasts a 1MB Level 2 backside cache, which is double that of the 512KB cache included with Freescale's MPC7447A chips used in the current PowerBooks.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were 7447A/B chips.

But yeah, 1.7 GHz 7448 = 1.8/1.9 GHz 7447A. So it is more of a performance increase than appears. And I also wouldn't be surprised if a 1.7 GHz 7448 in power consumption = 1.67 GHz 7447A in power consumption either. What makes Freescale immune to the troubles that IBM and Intel initially had at 90nm?

And, hmm, where could they put a scrollball on the thing? Just above the trackpad? Could be a useless device though. A key combo + trackpad could do the same thing.
  • Reply 42 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The difference here is that this is the end of the line, not the beginning.

Certinaly still fells like it!
  • Reply 43 of 210
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

[BI wouldn't be surprised if they were 7447A/B chips.

But yeah, 1.7 GHz 7448 = 1.8/1.9 GHz 7447A. So it is more of a performance increase than appears. And I also wouldn't be surprised if a 1.7 GHz 7448 in power consumption = 1.67 GHz 7447A in power consumption either. What makes Freescale immune to the troubles that IBM and Intel initially had at 90nm?

And, hmm, where could they put a scrollball on the thing? Just above the trackpad? Could be a useless device though. A key combo + trackpad could do the same thing. [/B]

There aren't any 7447b's, so that's out.

As I showed before Freescale is giving a spec for the 7448 that is the same as the 7447a = 2.3MIPS/MHz.

Again, the links:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...468rH3bTdG8653

The cache is the improvement.

Freescale isn't immune to those problems. The 7447a is simply not a bleeding edge chip to begin with so it isn't too hard to improve on it. Also they have had the benefit of time. Both Intel and IBM did the work. They are delayed by 8 or more months. It gave them time to work around some of those unexpected problems which are now well known.
  • Reply 44 of 210
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    This could be really nice. I'll pick one up to replace a 1.25 GHz Al PB. This will last me two years or so till they work through the Intel transition.

Regarding the G5 PB, you have to imagine that Apple already has the engineering done to put this in a PB. They wouldn't wait till it was released then start the engineering. They certainly have been getting prototypes for a long time. No surprise there.

I think we'll see one more PB update after this before the switch. My guess is we'll see PBs with Intel at MWSF 2007. I think they'll go MacMini, iBook, PB then PM.

Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

I don't get it. Why would they put out a laptop with a HD screen, when G4s can't do HD playback?

Just speculation but it could be that HD playback would be provided by the graphics chip? I think I've read that both nVidia and ATI were working on putting H.264 decoding into their chips.
  • Reply 45 of 210
    One easy explanation for the dropping of the 12" PB is, that it will be replaced by a cool new form-factor 13.3" Widescreen (1280x800)HD PB at around 2kg (4 lbs) (probably built by ASUSTEK)

And that thing will be very sweet.
  • Reply 46 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

This could be really nice. I'll pick one up to replace a 1.25 GHz Al PB. This will last me two years or so till they work through the Intel transition.

Regarding the G5 PB, you have to imagine that Apple already has the engineering done to put this in a PB. They wouldn't wait till it was released then start the engineering. They certainly have been getting prototypes for a long time. No surprise there.

I think we'll see one more PB update after this before the switch. My guess is we'll see PBs with Intel at MWSF 2007. I think they'll go MacMini, iBook, PB then PM.

Just speculation but it could be that HD playback would be provided by the graphics chip? I think I've read that both nVidia and ATI were working on putting H.264 decoding into their chips.

One of the complaints Windows users have against the Mac laptops is the screen rez. They have higher rez even though they can't play H.64 1080p either. that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

My problem with such high rez in such a small monitor is that text is just too small. That rez is really meant for 24" monitors, or at least 21", where it's still too high.

I use a Sony 24" crt, and people say that they can't read the type. Screwing around to make the type larger just negates most of the advantages. 1440x900 is pretty good for a 17" screen as it is.
  • Reply 47 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by oberpongo

One easy explanation for the dropping of the 12" PB is, that it will be replaced by a cool new form-factor 13.3" Widescreen (1280x800)HD PB at around 2kg (4 lbs) (probably built by ASUSTEK)

And that thing will be very sweet.

This is just a big guess, right?
  • Reply 48 of 210
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

This one is for the whole line and is the parent of the previous one:

Interesting links, especially the power consumption numbers. The current top iBook has a 1.42 Ghz 7447a inside, therefore consumes 21 W, has a 61 Wh battery and claims 6 h runtime. Running at full throttle, I guess it will last about two hours, that means other consumers (harddrive, screen, optical drive system controller) consume together a maximum of 10 W. If the non-processor consumers can be throttled to 5 W (dim screen, no use of optical drive, little harddrive action) and the processor to 5 W as well, you achieve these 6 h.

Now, with a 7448, which should consume around 10 W at 1.42 Ghz and a low usage consumption of again a fourth of it, i.e. 2.5 W, the battery life time would increase to 8 h.

Doing the same for the 1.5 Ghz Powerbook (4.5 h, 50 Wh, 23 W), say 1.5 h at full throttle gives again 10 W for the other consumers. To get to the 4.5 h, putting the non-proc. consumers again at 5 W, the processor to 6 W (again about a fourth of 23 W) these assumptions seem to hold as well.

With a 7448 (assuming 15 W) the full throttle runtime should go up to 2.5 h and the low usage one to 5.5 h.
  • Reply 49 of 210
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

you do realize that the word Yonah means vagina right?

Actually it doesn't. That would be Yoni.

Yonah was the biblical prophet who got swallowed by a whale.
  • Reply 50 of 210
    Wait... This PB update isn't a big enough update to deserve an announcement during a Stevenote, Right? 30 MHz????? How is Steve going to pull that off?
  • Reply 51 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

Wait... This PB update isn't a big enough update to deserve an announcement during a Stevenote, Right? 30 MHz????? How is Steve going to pull that off?

Steve doesn't say anything. A short-term online Apple Store closure, a quiet bump, and a press release.
  • Reply 52 of 210
    "Reliable sources say the PowerBook update is slated for an introduction during the third week of September at Apple Expo Paris"

This doesn't mean it will be announced during Steves Keynote?
  • Reply 53 of 210
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

"Reliable sources say the PowerBook update is slated for an introduction during the third week of September at Apple Expo Paris"

This doesn't mean it will be announced during Steves Keynote?

my guess? it'll be announced AFTER sept. 24th, since that's when the ipod+powerbook "student union" deal they have going for educational buyers runs out. they want that promo to move out as many units as possible before the announcement.

so if you want to take a chance, order your powerbook the day before steve takes the stage. if you're really lucky, the unit you want will be out of stock, and get swapped to the next level up after the announcement for no extra charge. and even if it isn't, it's not like you're sacrificing a LOT of power by buying early.
  • Reply 54 of 210
    Considering we're talking about Apple here, the article states that the 15-inch and 17-inch models [will max out] at 1.7GHz; I believe that 1.7GHz will be the maximum CPU speed, therefore there won't (as in "will not")be a 1.8GHz or 2.0GHz PowerBook. Furthermore, I really do believe that the screen resolutions will remain the same, the video card will remain the same, and the hard drives will remain at 5400rpm. Why? Because Apple has recently been all about not living up to expectations or needs in terms of hardware, especially in the mobile line. I don't mean to be extremely negative, but that's just how it has been, and I'm trying to be realistic.

Now, time for the conspiracy theory. When Apple slipped up on releasing information about a possible WUXGA display, I'd be willing to bet that it was because they had a 17 inch G5 PowerBook ready or on the way. With the unfortunate turn of events, it's pretty clear that the G5 PowerBooks will not see the light of day. However, demand for a G5 PowerBook is extremely high, and Apple knows it, even though they're slated to switch to Intel processors ... so ...

What would be the possibility of the 17-inch G5 PB existing, but the G5 PB line not being released because Apple can't put a G5 into a 15-inch or 12-inch PowerBook enclosure? Also, if Apple only has a 17-inch G5 PB, would you (collectively) buy one, even if Steve Jobs said something like, "This will be the only G5 PowerBook ever, meaning there will not be any other revisions or enclosures; this is the G5 PowerBook, and it will only be available up until we release our official Intel PowerBooks." (It would be a nice macintosh collector's item.) Last question, again if Apple only has a 17-inch G5 PB, what would be the possibility of Apple swallowing their pride and just releasing the one-sized G5 PB?
  • Reply 55 of 210
    I'm really sad about speculation that the 12" won't be updated, and might be discontinued. Apple should know full-well that this is perhaps THE most popular powerbook ... as I look around me, I see at least 4 of them in this cafe alone. And everyone who wants a PowerBook seems to lean toward the 12" for portability.

My only hope is this means there will be an even smaller Mac out ... perhaps 10.5" wieghing 2 lbs ... but in any case, the 12" form factor is just about perfect, the case is the width of a fullsize keyboard, the screen is comfortable, it's easy to carry ... I just hope Apple isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater with the Intel transition ...
  • Reply 56 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by 00100011

Now, time for the conspiracy theory. When Apple slipped up on releasing information about a possible WUXGA display, I'd be willing to bet that it was because they had a 17 inch G5 PowerBook ready or on the way. With the unfortunate turn of events, it's pretty clear that the G5 PowerBooks will not see the light of day. However, demand for a G5 PowerBook is extremely high, and Apple knows it, even though they're slated to switch to Intel processors ... so ...

What would be the possibility of the 17-inch G5 PB existing, but the G5 PB line not being released because Apple can't put a G5 into a 15-inch or 12-inch PowerBook enclosure? Also, if Apple only has a 17-inch G5 PB, would you (collectively) buy one, even if Steve Jobs said something like, "This will be the only G5 PowerBook ever, meaning there will not be any other revisions or enclosures; this is the G5 PowerBook, and it will only be available up until we release our official Intel PowerBooks." (It would be a nice macintosh collector's item.) Last question, again if Apple only has a 17-inch G5 PB, what would be the possibility of Apple swallowing their pride and just releasing the one-sized G5 PB?

17 inch PB... Huh, sounds cool, makes sense, though i doubt that they would actually go through with it after what Steve said during the WWDC in June... But still would be wicked cool!!
  • Reply 57 of 210
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Yawn.

I want a Pentium M PowerBook already!
  • Reply 58 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by 00100011

Considering we're talking about Apple here, the article states that the 15-inch and 17-inch models [will max out] at 1.7GHz; I believe that 1.7GHz will be the maximum CPU speed, therefore there won't (as in "will not")be a 1.8GHz or 2.0GHz PowerBook. Furthermore, I really do believe that the screen resolutions will remain the same, the video card will remain the same, and the hard drives will remain at 5400rpm. Why? Because Apple has recently been all about not living up to expectations or needs in terms of hardware, especially in the mobile line. I don't mean to be extremely negative, but that's just how it has been, and I'm trying to be realistic.

My thouhts about a G5 PB have been that they could do it as they have had to have been working on one for some while. These new designs don't spring from the head of Zeus, so to speak. There is quite a time for gestation.

If Apple tests it, and finds that the heat, power usage and speed are all within expectations, then they might wery well release it. They don't have to have it in the whole line.

The question is whether the 1.6GHz G5 will work for them. Is a 1.6GHz G5 sufficiently more powerful than a 1,7 GHz 7448 G4 to warrant it? Also the speed is lower than the G4. Not by much, but how would it look? Could Apple get it up to 1.7 or 1.75 to appear faster in that way as well?

If they could, and the performance is 25% better than what we have now, then it might be worth it, if it didn't have a life of 2 hours or less, and didn't burn the skin off your thighs.
  • Reply 59 of 210
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottylad

I'm really sad about speculation that the 12" won't be updated, and might be discontinued. Apple should know full-well that this is perhaps THE most popular powerbook ... as I look around me, I see at least 4 of them in this cafe alone. And everyone who wants a PowerBook seems to lean toward the 12" for portability.

My only hope is this means there will be an even smaller Mac out ... perhaps 10.5" wieghing 2 lbs ... but in any case, the 12" form factor is just about perfect, the case is the width of a fullsize keyboard, the screen is comfortable, it's easy to carry ... I just hope Apple isn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater with the Intel transition ...

We don't know what will happen. This is just a rumor, after all. Nothing was actually said about the 12" anyway.

If it is that popular, then it won't be discontinued. No one discontinues a really popukar product unless they have something in the wings to replace it with that's similar enough but with better placement (more/different features, cheaper, etc.).

If it isn't that popular, then they aren't making money on it, and should discontinue it.
  • Reply 60 of 210
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Quote:

There aren't any 7447b's, so that's out.

There was 6 months ago. Looks like Freescale has wiped all reference to it in their online documentation.

Quote:

Freescale isn't immune to those problems. The 7447a is simply not a bleeding edge chip to begin with so it isn't too hard to improve on it. Also they have had the benefit of time. Both Intel and IBM did the work. They are delayed by 8 or more months. It gave them time to work around some of those unexpected problems which are now well known.

It's unlikely that Intel and IBM are sharing their solutions to the problems they've had at 90nm. Not to mention that IBM is still having problems either. Any problems that Freescale is having, they have to work out on their own, or they can pay for "assistance" from fabs who've been through it already.