oh crap... can someone calm me down? i cant take the heat.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my imac g5 is running at between 60 and 85*c in idle. can you tell me if this is normal? and at what temp does the g5 melt?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    is operating poorly?

if not then who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    zfmtzfmt Posts: 53member
    hahaha. well, when i play a game like sims 2 or nwn, the game will randomly quit. is that because the files are currupted(sp?) or is it overheating so it exits major apps?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by zfmt

hahaha. well, when i play a game like sims 2 or nwn, the game will randomly quit. is that because the files are currupted(sp?) or is it overheating so it exits major apps?

hmm.... try to replicate it with another game or something. if you can then call Apple immediately.

If not then it's probably just the Sims 2.

The iMac runs really hot. It's just the way it is, but there have been overheating issues but the best way to tell if it is a problem is if it really is a problem
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

my imac g5 is running at between 60 and 85*c in idle. can you tell me if this is normal? and at what temp does the g5 melt?

You might also want to consider the room temperature, If your room temp is warm then your mac won't be getting cool air to cool down.

Edit:
    Quote:

Electrical and environmental requirements

Meets ENERGY STAR requirements

Line voltage: 100-240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

Maximum continuous power: 180W

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

As quated from the source of goodness
  • Reply 5 of 14
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Mine runs 50-55 C at idle in a warm (80 F) room, lower in a cool room. Is your processor set to "Automatic" or "Highest"? The "Highest" setting will raise the idle temperature noticeably.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zfmtzfmt Posts: 53member
    my room is pretty hot, but i have a fan on at all times, i put the fan directly on the imac durring gamimg.

i do rember seeing the choise to set the cpu to highest, mine is set on normal. just so i can calm down, can you show tell me how to lower the cpu when im not using it.

thanks
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Have you thought about giving it a cold shower?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

is operating poorly?

if not then who cares?

... Premature ware on components, anyone?

The iMac is not magic, it is not special. If it runs hot (and this one is), it is a design flaw, regardless of what Apple tells you.

And in addition, the compents will fail and the machine will crash more often as a direct result of the heat. There's really no arguing it. If Apple says this is "normal", then I expect another class action any time now.

Barefeats.com had a story about the imac's HD running at nearly 95°C, even though the label on the drive itself (and just about every other hard drive ever made) clearly indicated to keep it under 80°C.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

The iMac is not magic, it is not special. If it runs hot (and this one is), it is a design flaw, regardless of what Apple tells you.

And in addition, the compents will fail and the machine will crash more often as a direct result of the heat. There's really no arguing it. If Apple says this is "normal", then I expect another class action any time now.

Barefeats.com had a story about the imac's HD running at nearly 95°C, even though the label on the drive itself (and just about every other hard drive ever made) clearly indicated to keep it under 80°C.

If it keeps going at that temp things will fail eventually, Hard-drives expecially. My old Emac 1.25ghz suffered the heat, After playing a dvd i took it out and that thing was hot as hell, the end result was a knackered CRT\ Now though i have the heating off ( lives in england ) and let the five computers and various externals heat the room up
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

and who are you to say what the accuracy is of unsupported temperature gauges?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

my room is pretty hot, but i have a fan on at all times, i put the fan directly on the imac durring gamimg.

i do rember seeing the choise to set the cpu to highest, mine is set on normal. just so i can calm down, can you show tell me how to lower the cpu when im not using it.

thanks

It's in System Preferences -> Energy Saver, under one of the tabs. (Not at my iMac right now and this eMac doesn't have that setting.)

At 80 degrees C I would think your Mac would sound like a vacuum cleaner. If you aren't hearing major fan activity, I'd suspect either a software glitch or possibly one or more failed fans. It would be worth having it checked out.

As an experiment, log out overnight and put the iMac to sleep. In the morning, log in without launching any apps. After 5 minutes, what's the CPU temperature? If it's above 60 C, and your room is below 80 F (27 C), you either have an OS/hardware problem or you've got some bizarre background app that's taking a lot of CPU cycles.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There are some background apps that take up oodles of CPU for no good apparent reason. Open your Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and see if anything is hogging 50% or more of your CPU on a regular basis. You may need to change your update frequency to 0.5 or 1 second to get an accurate picture.

I've personally found "HP Background" is a nasty little process that when quit, doesn't seem to make any difference for anything else on the machine. I assume it does something with my HP all in one, but I can still do everything with the all in one that I could before with HP Background not running.

Good luck.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Apparently the first gen g5 imacs have some heat issues... I believe apple knows this... Do you have applecare? If so, give them a call...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

and who are you to say what the accuracy is of unsupported temperature gauges?

Barefeats.com reports the iMac hard drive's surface temp at 192°F (it should be 140°F MAX).. I seriously doubt they're off by 52°F...

Also, even if the temp guages ARE innacurrate, and are only reading ambient temperatures, ambients are supposed to be lower!

Not to mention, some of the internal temps are so high the computer should be automatically shutting down. If I were an iMac owner, I'd probably install a jerry-rigged case fan or two... "Whisper quiet" is not a good trade for "Self-destructing components."