iPod battery life sucks... Apple lied to me

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got a free iPod with my iBook, and the guy told me the battery would last 18 hours at a shot. HAHAHAHAHA!! My wife is lucky to get 4 hours on it and she only plays it at low volume.

Not that it's really a big deal, since it's quite convenient to have the USB recharger.... but still... why would they be so far off?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidelwav

I got a free iPod with my iBook, and the guy told me the battery would last 18 hours at a shot. HAHAHAHAHA!! My wife is lucky to get 4 hours on it and she only plays it at low volume.

Not that it's really a big deal, since it's quite convenient to have the USB recharger.... but still... why would they be so far off?

Take it back. I get 18 hours or so from my iPod mini, mostly listened to at full volume.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tidelwavtidelwav Posts: 118member
    Oh really??

I will take it back then.

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Might have been a refurb that somebody else returned for the same reason.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Don't they have to tell you if it's a refurb?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Don't they have to tell you if it's a refurb?

They do - that was either 1) a mistake or b) they just gave it to you.

Or it was just a bad apple (no pun intended).
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Might seem stupid - but are you letting it fully recharge?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Yes, i am. Until it says "charged".

I called them. They will ship me a new one.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:

I called them. They will ship me a new one.

That's how it works.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

My wife is lucky to get 4 hours on it and she only plays it at low volume.

Disable the equalizer.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Also, be sure you're using 128 AAC or something similar. Higher bitrates = bigger files trying to cram into the iPod's memory = more hard drive access = less battery life.

Try loading Apple Lossless files onto the thing and you'll kill it in no time.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Also, be sure you're using 128 AAC or something similar. Higher bitrates = bigger files trying to cram into the iPod's memory = more hard drive access = less battery life.

Try loading Apple Lossless files onto the thing and you'll kill it in no time.

I was just about to make this point. So instead I'll just note that average song length plays some role in this, too (but really just in how it relates to your encoding bitrate) - if you've got a lot of 20 minute pieces in there (classical, prog, whatever your flavor), the iPod has to access the drive more often "per song." Couple this with higher bitrates, and you'll lose battery life.

My 60G iPod is good for maybe 7-8 hours. But then again, half my library is at 320 kbps, so I consider getting that much time out of it to be pretty good.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Also if you use the equalizer presets and/or sound check, your battery life will go way down.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    She wasn't using the equalizer, and all the songs were either from iTunes or ripped at 128.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Has the replacement mini arrived yet?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Nope. It should be in tomorrow though.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    flailflail Posts: 12member
    I've also found that the battery is consumed much faster with the backlight on, you can get 50% or more life with it off.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I wouldn't be leaving the backlight on for extended periods. It's not meant for that and will eventually burn out (although I don't know what sort of lifespan it has)
  • Reply 18 of 27
    anyone else noticed that having it set on "hold" will kill the battery?? i have no idea why, but when i leave it on hold for a day or two it will end up dead. if i leave it while not on hold it will still have some juice. no more holding for me...
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

anyone else noticed that having it set on "hold" will kill the battery?? i have no idea why, but when i leave it on hold for a day or two it will end up dead. if i leave it while not on hold it will still have some juice. no more holding for me...

Hold doesn't "kill" the battery, in fact. Dead batteries (the rechargeable kind) can be brought back to life... did you not get an AC Adapter and a charger unit with your iPod? Read the little book, if you can find it... or go online and hit the iPod tab, then Support... all is not lost.

I really don't understand all the fuss about these batteries. My little guy (2003 20 Gb) has died and been reborn three or four times (after a good 'drain' and a charge. And you can plug him into your Firewire port to recharge also. Patience and care will keep you going!

(Proposed Apple motto: We designed it. You figure it out.)
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by waronsex

Hold doesn't "kill" the battery, in fact. Dead batteries (the rechargeable kind) can be brought back to life... did you not get an AC Adapter and a charger unit with your iPod? Read the little book, if you can find it... or go online and hit the iPod tab, then Support... all is not lost.

don't be stupid. the battery will still have charge after a few days of no use without having it on hold. however, when it's on hold it wont have any charge in a day. nice first post, smart-assed POS.