Strange High Pitched Noise - PowerMac G5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a new tower and for some reason whenever any type of 3D animated action takes place a very strange high pitched noise eminates from within my tower. Anything having to do with Dashboard, Exposé, and even the Hot News screensaver emits this strange noise.

My machine is the brand new low end tower (Dual 2.0GHz, Radeon 9600, yada yada yada - and is connected to a new 20in Apple display).

Has anyone experienced anything similar or heard of something like this? If so I'm very curious to find out if it is normal or not. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    May be some fan that's kicking into high gear when you're doing these 3D functions. I'd check if there's anything suspicious about the graphics card fan or fans around that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    it's your graphics card. i believe it's normal, at least with the current firmware on my card. at least you know when core image is kicking in.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I would have agreed with the other posters, except the 9600 is FANLESS !

I would take a stab and say it is the power supply. They are noisy on the G5's like mine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I would have agreed with the other posters, except the 9600 is FANLESS !

I would take a stab and say it is the power supply. They are noisy on the G5's like mine.

I've heard that, too. On the apple support forums, people who have replaced their power supplies have claimed that the sound has gone away.

My 2.3 GHz PM makes the same noise - a sort of chirping sound, like crickets or something. I usually just ignore it, but then, the tower isn't on the desk, so it isn't very close to my ears. I imagine it could be quite annoying if it were close at hand.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Thanks for all of your responses! Glad to hear it's normal - I was a tad bit worried that my beautiful new computer had a defect! Oh well, I guess all is well!