10.3 or 10.4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I have an iBook g3 500 Mhz, 66mhz bus. 384 ram. I was wondering what people thought would run better, 10.3.9 or 10.4.2? What would people suggest I run on this machine. I have 10.3.9 now. Should I upgrade, or leave it as is.

Thanks.

Galen

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I suggest you leave 10.3.9 as your OS unless you really need the features that Tiger offers. Don't fix what ain't broke.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i upgraded right away and i have mixed feelings. I don;t use Dashboard or Automator but i do use Spotlight. Some people use spotlight for everything but since i have a 1ghz PB w/ a slower drive, it is too slow for replacement of the finder. I do use it because i can have a smart folder to organize my history notes then search within them. This way, if you ask me when we talked about queen elizabeth (and when) i could find those notes.

I also use the new mail.app. Once i organized the buttons and removed them from the center, i love it.

So the answer depends on your current use. Do you not like the mail.app interface? Do you need to search within word documents? (Remember, Spotlight is sadly not totally instant when you have a slower drive-which i imagine you do). Dashboard is a memory hog so i only have DashDock widget and the weather running. I turn it off when i need the power (Like in some older cars, you turn off the AC when doing big accelerations)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    galengalen Posts: 46member
    Haha, thanks Jwink. I know exactly what you mean. I often turn off my AC when i need a little more juice. I think I"m going to stick with 10.3.9 for now. Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Galen

Haha, thanks Jwink. I know exactly what you mean. I often turn off my AC when i need a little more juice. I think I"m going to stick with 10.3.9 for now. Thanks for the advice.

I would not run 10.4 on anytinng with less the 512mb ram. With the 'ol G3 at 500mz I would want 1gb min. Also consider the space 10.4 would take up on your hard drive. I have a PowerMac G3 500mz desktop with a 6Gb HDD. Tiger would take up at least half of that. Classic Takes up 0.5Gb so that would only leave 2.5Gb for Apps, User folders, Fonts, SWAP files... Well, sorry to rant. I'm sticking with Panther on it.