Greenland going green

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This is quite worrying. For me it's a bit of a shock as i didn't realise greenland had a glacier

When will people/companies/governments start working fully with each other to stop the damage/pollution were causing? When will we get the big picture?

Here in the UK the government has gone all out at banning smoking with disturbingly truthful ads on how smoking harms you and others, Shouldn't they be doing the same with global warming on a global scale?

thoughts and opinions

EDIT: Something to play with

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    1) How did you not know greenland had a glacier?

2) We are all fucked. Up the ass. So far we are tasting our own feces.

#2 is my mantra.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I am just happy I am outta here in 70 years...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

1) How did you not know greenland had a glacier?

#2 is my mantra.

Always thought it was somehow like the flat wastelands of the Northwest territories, Didn't realise it was that far up and over
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Always thought it was somehow like the flat wastelands of the Northwest territories,

Not to burst your bubble but just like in Greenland there are a lot of glaciers in NW Territories especially in the West. Obviously the vast majority of the terrain is flat tundra but still if you were to rank mass of glaciers in the world then NW Territories would be pretty far up the list. AFAIK pretty much all of that area was ice glaciated by the Cordilleron ice sheet and has pretty decent remnants at modest subalpine elevations.

Of course, in 100 or 200 years...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Could be worse - a billion dead worst case for global warming, and the rest of the people might have to re-locate.

We will also have to work fast to stop all of the melting permafrost areas from eroding into the sea, because we will need it as farmland later.

But compared to the impact of a comet, global warming is a cake walk. The earth was 2 degrees warmer between 10,000 and 6,000 years ago, and that was the period where we were warm enough to start civilization, so parts of the world will be kind of nice.

There will be much more rainfall (extra evaporation due to larger warmer oceans), larger hurricanes, and less land. The gulf stream will stop flowing, which will change the climate of England to match Ottawa (-30 C in the winter).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Global warming is still a very confusing topic, since we can see that it's happening, but are still not sure how much man-made pollutants have to do with it. To get my point across, everytime a volcano erupts, it belches more greenhouse gasses into the air than all of humanity's contributions -- aggregated since time began. Large eruptions leave soot in the sky for years.

I'm all for reducing emissions, but I'm afraid that's just the tip of the iceberg -- pun intended. Researchers have found that geologically "instant" temperature fluctuations have occured in the past. I don't think there's a lot that can be done.