Spaceballs and the Mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am looking to buy a Spaceball, such as the one from 3Dconnexion:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/spaceball5000.htm

Has anyone got on of these working on a Mac? I ask because the site doesn't indicate Mac support, but this is not the same thing as to whether it works on the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

I am looking to buy a Spaceball, such as the one from 3Dconnexion:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/spaceball5000.htm

Has anyone got on of these working on a Mac? I ask because the site doesn't indicate Mac support, but this is not the same thing as to whether it works on the Mac.

Chances are only the basic funtions are going to work (USB), You will need the drivers for all the programming stuff. They do drivers for linux and maya plugins so i would give them an email asking if they do support the mac or have plans too.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hey, i would love one of those for my mac
  • Reply 3 of 9
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    And here I thought this was a thread about spaceballs .
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER!!!

...the kids love this one.

• Reply 5 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Wow, they're still developing those things? I thought they died out years ago!

I had one back in 2000 or so (different style, more like a game controller). It was nifty, but I never got used to it. They had Mac drivers, but you had to get some cheap cobbled together adapter for it, since it used a PC game port.

Personally, I found it lacking. It's a neat idea, but it takes very precise movement to make it work... and that was really difficult in a fast-paced game.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Wow, they're still developing those things? I thought they died out years ago!

I had one back in 2000 or so (different style, more like a game controller). It was nifty, but I never got used to it. They had Mac drivers, but you had to get some cheap cobbled together adapter for it, since it used a PC game port.

Personally, I found it lacking. It's a neat idea, but it takes very precise movement to make it work... and that was really difficult in a fast-paced game.

These things use USB and are intended for use in CAD applications. Like anything, if its use is not well incorporated, then it could be difficult to use, just like a badly designed UI.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Yep, the mouse only works if you are Drewish.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Me too. I guess the thread's been jammed.