New iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My Friend works in the clothing industry, and while he was at a conference yesterday he reckons there was something there that would interest me, as a iPod fan...

"Took this short video on my Phone, while at a conference. I had to hold the phone against my bag so it's a bit jerky. It was dark, but a few cameras were flashing while Paul Pressler was on stage, so I managed to get away with it. What do you think?"

Any way I put in on my .Mac account.

iPod link?

Close up Pic:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    probably just some eye candy for the audience.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    probably real too. all the videos i've seen of photos running ipodlinux and the video player pause every few seconds on the ipod.

edit: just looked at the picture and it says Music/Video/Photos ... seems weird that they would just say 'Video' and not "Videos". very unlike apple.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The only function I can see for the iPod to have this capability is for watching music videos on your iPod...

kinda cool....

but still...... whats-the-point....

? screen size minimal

? resuloltion pretty bloody small

? file sizes pretty damn big
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

whats-the-point....

? screen size minimal

? resuloltion pretty bloody small

? file sizes pretty damn big

You could argue that about its photo capabilities...yet it can be plugged into a TV.

What's to keep it from being a portable video "server" that can plug into any television?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I think it's a hoax. It'd be pretty easy to fake that video, just create a background banner and map the video to the front of a normal iPod. Those flash bursts don't look very realistic, and the video itself looks a little too sharp and steady for a cell phone, not to mention a tad too high-res. 640x480 video on a cell phone? Come on.

I also highly doubt that Apple would casually show this off at a clothing fashion conference. That's the part that seems most unrealistic.

Nice job on the video though. It fits into Apple's branding specs pretty well.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It got the signs of a hoax:

"A friend" = Protection against answering trick questions here and now.

Steady iPod = Easier to mix the moving video "on" the iPod with the iPod and bagground.

The change of colour on the iPod somehow affects the light and colour in the bagground. It doesn´t seem to be light/dark compensation.

Post count.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    HOAX HOAX HOAX

just look at the angle of the video and the angle of the iPod.

close but not quite right.

ohh and if it was real it ould be ALL over the tec-news/blogs/fanboy/roumor sites

j.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

You could argue that about its photo capabilities...yet it can be plugged into a TV.

What's to keep it from being a portable video "server" that can plug into any television?

Very true.

but I think the same thought process that Apple used for the photo's is still a bit of a stretch for video though... Photo file size compared with movie file size is a big difference. How many movies could fit on to a 60gb HD that still look great on a big screen TV?

It's not offen I am presented with a need or opportunity to plug my iPod into a TV and watch some movies for the hell of it... but then again, some people might appreciate that factor.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Why doesn't animated GIF's work on the photo iPods?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

HOAX HOAX HOAX

just look at the angle of the video and the angle of the iPod.

close but not quite right.

ohh and if it was real it ould be ALL over the tec-news/blogs/fanboy/roumor sites

j.

I'm not here to argue the case for the need...

BUTTTTT, I thought I would let you know that the new version of Roxio's Toast lets you save out converted video specifically for iTunes.

• Reply 11 of 14
    hoax, it doesn't look like it's bouncing around because it's being held against a bag, it looks like it's stop animated. the "flashes" look a lot more like variations in AE in the frames as well. Not to mention the fact that the original cameraman felt compelled to explain this minimal jerkiness (looks pretty good for a cellphone) and the flashes. The only thing that keeps me wondering is the fact that the flashes affect the bg as well. If these flashes actually are from variations in AE, then this must be an actual poster behind the ipod which would be expensive to make (not to mention a hassle), but I guess it could be a big computer display or something... i would love for this to be true though... i mean come on, it's an inevitable progression and how cool would it be to watch some Mr. Show or South Park episodes on long bus rides. I see tons of kids watching movies on their PSPs after all.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Looks good
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

I'm not here to argue the case for the need...

BUTTTTT, I thought I would let you know that the new version of Roxio's Toast lets you save out converted video specifically for iTunes.

That's because iTunes has video functionality, and is an easy way to organize clips etc.

As to the video clip, it seems pretty fake to me. I also strongly doubt Apple would show it off this haphazardly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    that video looks way too much like a hoax done by a first year multi-media student. But hey, keep them coming!