an application that can create dubs/instrumentals or a cappellas from songs? IS there

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hey all,

im not sure if what i want is possible, but i figure technology is moving so quickly that it's worth asking;

is there an application or software, that anyone knows of, that can basically seperate the lyrics and the music from a song so that it leaves two seperate files, one a dub (or instrumental, with just the music) and the other an a cappella (or just the lyrics)??

if this is possible, and you know how, then let me know,

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    To keep the answer as short as possible: Technology isn't that good, yet. It is still not possible, though you can adjust EQ settings to lower the vocals enough to barely hear them (though this could also distort the backing music track).

I take it that you are a DJ? I was a DJ in a former life, now I am a producer.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    So how do the karaoke people do it?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

So how do the karaoke people do it?

Karaoke uses CDGs which are specially encoded CDs with a video track for lyric display. The CDGs usually contain an instrumental (with or without backing vocals).

Like "Remix" and "Promo Only" DJ services which offer weekly releases of new music even pre-release, CDG companies offer weekly/monthly releases to keep the Karaoke jockies up-to-date with all of the latest new music.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhoq

To keep the answer as short as possible: Technology isn't that good, yet. It is still not possible, though you can adjust EQ settings to lower the vocals enough to barely hear them (though this could also distort the backing music track).

I take it that you are a DJ? I was a DJ in a former life, now I am a producer.

lol, no im not a DJ. im just a school kid who's been mucking with his music collection while he SHOULD be doing his assignments. Being a DJ would be great, but im not sure i possess the talent - although i think i've got a pretty good ear for picking out a good song, and i've got a very widespead music collection.

Anyway, i'd better do those assignments.

Also, you recommended i try using different equalisers, is there any particular application with such equalisers, because as i remember the equalizer in iTunes isn't that great, and then i'd have to use Audio Hi-Jack to record it anyway. But thanks for your help so far.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    It's been years since I last used it (I'm talking OS 9), but I remember Audion having a "Karaoke" mode which applies those EQ setting for you. I honestly don't know if the current version still has this feature, but it might be worth checking out.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    There's a piece of software - the name of which is eluding me at the moment, I'm afraid - that also looks at the left channel-right channel waveforms of a stereo image and removes the identical forms.

The theory is that music is mixed so the drums pan across the stereo image and the instruments are all slightly off "center" left and right, while the lead vocals sit squarely in the middle. By removing the identical waveforms from the two channels, you're just removing the "center" sound, and thus everything but the vocals remains after the software does its thing.

Of course, in practice, music does not always conform to the model above of off-center instruments and centered lead vocals. The software couldn't account for that so it would end up stripping out other things or nothing at all, or part of a vocal, but not all of it, etc.

With sophisticated enough EQ tools which you can program to adjust on the fly in real time, you can definitely clean out vocals... not perfectly, but well enough. I'm not sure we'll ever have the technology where you can just take an AIFF file and an app will just "auto-remove" the vocals, or split them out - there are too many variations in vocal ranges and frequencies for an app to automatically know which ones to remove at any particular moment in any particular song. I expect it will always require at least some kind of manual guidence for EQ-ing out vocals.