Wireless MM

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I saw some discussion throughout the Thread in Current Hardware but I thought this needed its own thread.

Why would Apple not make a wireless version of the Mighty Mouse?

Battery Life? That could be solved by changing the batteries more often or by providing a charging station.

That is really the only reason I could think of. If you guys can think of another pssible reason let me know. I really would like to buy a Mighty Mouse but I have an iMac G5 with wireless kit and would love to have it wireless.

Thanks for your input,

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    The cynic in me is telling me that Apple is waiting to see if the Mighty Mouse is a successful product or not before they devote resources into making wireless version.

Corollary to that is that they are maximizing the profits on the USB version before they drop its price and introduce a wireless version at the same or slightly higher price point.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hopefully apple is simply waiting for wireless technology to mature a bit more.

Wired mice are still the better choice for the vast majority of users. Wireless mice offer a clutter free desk but nothing else to 99% of desktop users. Nearly every user sits directly in front of their computer, within wired distance.

For these users, it makes little sense to put up with even the slightest of hassle associated with wireless devices. Wired mice have no lag, no reception problems, less driver issues, and never run out of power.

Us geeks sure do have new gadget lust... but for almost everyone else, a reliable mouse is better than one less wire. But yes, someday, when wireless mice never fail, even this wireless hater will use one.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    What is the real reason to have a wireless mouse?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

One good reason is to be able to run your presentations without having to go back to your laptop all the time to proceed to the next slide.

Another one that comes to mind is "remote" controlling your computer when watching a DVD.

Should they ever do a wireless mighty mouse, I hope they'll make it so you can plug it in to charge while you are working with it, similar to the Kensington PocketMouse 2.0 Wireless. Unfortunately, you can't buy that one in the US - maybe there are patent issues? Anyways, I'd love to get a "wireless scroll mouse done the right way", even if it would be white...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    A rechargable bluetooth Mighty Mouse would be great. Apple could make a cool recharging station and call it a "Mouse Trap".
  • Reply 6 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Not having a cord to get stuck in/around/under things. I find the wireless just more comfortable to use.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

A rechargable bluetooth Mighty Mouse would be great. Apple could make a cool recharging station and call it a "Mouse Trap".

haha i love it. well im kind of surprised they actually named it "Mighty Mouse," so i believe any thing is possible.

wireless mouses are usefull because wires make clutter and i think there is more space and less hassle with no wire. and like others were saying i use my mouse and keyboard as a remote.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    wireless mice lag, ESPECIALLY BLUETOOTH MICE. besides. have you ever seen a wireless mouse at a school? School season is right around the corner. Lets see how long a few thousand wireless mice stay on the desk in those labs.

The best wireless mice use fastrf, not bluetooth, bluetooth is way to much lag. especially with that scrollball. that's why.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Much as I admit fast RF is a lot better than bluetooth when it comes to mice, Apple just started shipping blutooth with everything but Mac Mini and eMacs.

If we do get a wireless version of this mouse, it will be bluetooth, or they are killing there hole 'all in one' appeal.

That said, perhaps we will see A mighty mouse WiFi version? Acts as a wireless booster... Oh the possibilities.

Or maybe even a microwave mouse - It charges wirelessly. This also kills the all in one appeal, but I for one wouldnt mind.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    I wish new wireless mouse have media & programmable buttons

at the bottom side. so if you flip the mouse there is small buttons.

it can be remote controller. so mouse keep having same shape and

design. if you hold wireless apple mouse upside down, it is comportable and

your thumb can reach easily on bottom side.

maybe smaller buttons than my sketch. And rechargeable through

usb cable or dock.

• Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

I use a 32 Olevia LCD as my tv and computer monitor. Most of my computing is done from my bed or bedroom floor. I must have a BT setup; otherwise, what good is it having a bed.

Dovetail
  • Reply 12 of 16
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

wireless mice lag, ESPECIALLY BLUETOOTH MICE.

Hmmm...

Well, after using wired mice (and keyboards) all my cyberlife, I've been using the apple bt version with a g5 for about a year. I dreaded lag... expected lag... searched for lag.

But I have to say, I have none. Not a stitch.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Perception of lag is quite subjective. Just as the framerate threshhold for perceived continous motion differs, so does the threshhold for perceiving lag.

Unfortunately, I have a very high threshold for such things. Even in movie theaters I am bugged by the frame rate. I can actually see each individual frame on pans and fast motion scenes.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't as neurotically fixated on such things. My home theater and computer could be significantly cheaper.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    khkookhkoo Posts: 32member
    if you need to use mouse (even if it is not every time) 2m+ from your computer,

BT mouse is much better than MX1000(or that kind of wireless mouse). I have apple BT mouse and MX1000 but now I'm not using MX1000 because when I watch monitors from my sofa MX1000 is not working but apple BTmouse working.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I might be wrong and this may have been posted elsewhere before (sorry if it has). The picture on this webpage seems to show a wireless mighty mouse!

http://www.apple.com/switch/reasons/reason01.html
  • Reply 16 of 16
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Why would you want a mighty mouse then. If your remotely browsing get a logitech mouse with lots of buttons and mini-mize your keyboard use... Bluetooth sucks for latency.

you shoudl realize that your probably the except as most people sit in front of their computers ;-)

I have a mac mini on my 50' sony plasma, but i haven't messed with it yet.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dovetail

I use a 32 Olevia LCD as my tv and computer monitor. Most of my computing is done from my bed or bedroom floor. I must have a BT setup; otherwise, what good is it having a bed.

Dovetail