Someone help!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so I know that Apple is switching to Intel. I do a lot of web design and computer graphics, and currently I use a Windows based PC. At school I use nothing but Apple machines. So this coming semester I was planning on buying a PowerBook, but now with this switch I dont know what to do. I have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out with some of them.

1. Is OS X going to be the same with the new Intel systems? Are you still going to be able to run Cinema 4D R9 or any apps on the new systems?

2. Would it be worth it to wait the change out, then by a Powerbook? Are they going to be that much better?

3. Are you really going to be able to run Windows on an Apple? Are Microsoft products really going to wind up on Macs? Is'nt that going to bring the virus/spyware scene to the Macs?...Why is this happening?

I did have another question but I cant remember it now haha.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1) Yes. Same OS. PPC-compiled OS X apps will run. Classic apps won't.

2) Nobody knows.

3) Relax. Nobody knows if Windows will run on these machines. If it does, it'll be it's own boot environment. You'll run Windows *or* OS X. (Yes, WINE and such may make it possible to just run individual apps, but again, nobody knows.) It's not like viruses and such will suddenly sneak their way into your system just because it's an Intel chip.

Basically, it's just the same as if Apple said "We have better chips coming!" Which of course they always do. As far as your purchasing decision goes, it's not really an issue.

- We don't know when the new Intel based PowerBooks are coming.

- Speculation is that at least one more iteration of PPC PowerBooks is likely.

- The next 'Big Event' is the Paris Expo, late Sept.

That about sums it up.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    thanks for the info
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    consider getting one of the new iBooks, you will not be doing yourself a disservice. in terms of the cost.

powerBooks are coming to the end of their release cycle, so they could be updated anywhere between september to christmas.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    but is a ibook going to be enough power to do 3d/2d artwork? I do a lot of graphic design / web design and audio production . I need something that is going to last a while and not run like sh!t.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

but is a ibook going to be enough power to do 3d/2d artwork? I do a lot of graphic design / web design and audio production . I need something that is going to last a while and not run like sh!t.

hmmm... you're better off with a powerbook then if you can afford it \
  • Reply 6 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

1) Yes. Same OS. PPC-compiled OS X apps will run. Classic apps won't.

But isnt Classic just a virtual machine (ala 98 on top of XP in VM ware)? If so, hten Rosetta should run it just fine, it would be foolish for apple to support it, but I think it will be possible, at least I do not see why it would not be...unless Apple cripples it...

For the record...If you are still in <=OS9.x, just forget about upgrading untill you are ready to move to a real opperating system and away from a glorified yet painfully crappy toy.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

But isnt Classic just a virtual machine (ala 98 on top of XP in VM ware)? If so, hten Rosetta should run it just fine, it would be foolish for apple to support it, but I think it will be possible, at least I do not see why it would not be...unless Apple cripples it...

Good question but I don't think Rosetta will run classic. Seems like that would be two levels of emulation.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital Disasta

1. Is OS X going to be the same with the new Intel systems? Are you still going to be able to run Cinema 4D R9 or any apps on the new systems?

As a point of interest, Maxon have had Cinema R9 for Mac OS X-on-Intel ready for a while. I think it didn't even take them more than a week or so (following the Apple announcement) for them to get it ready.