Executible files?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What program do I need to execute files. I have a program that is .exe, and it shows on a blank piece of paper can someone help me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    A .exe is a Windows program. To run them you need either Windows emulation software on your Mac, or a PC that runs Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Do you know where I can find a windows emulation software?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Normally, when somebody is asking this question, I advise them to run the .exe on a PC with Windows... or not at all.

VirtualPC is suprisingly complicated and annoying to use for most users. It is more difficult to set up and use than is a normal PC running windows.

Although, before we get deeper into that argument... what is it that you need to run?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Really? I found it to be incredibly easy. I installed it, I moved the .exe to the shared folder, and I ran it. Voila. *shrug*
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Well sure... a computer-forum admin had no trouble.

I mean, you already knew what an exe file was right?

Running an entire, additional operating system and virtual computer is NOT what most (normal) people would call easy. It really depends on your degree of nerd-dome. As with anything in life, "easy" is in the eye of the beholder... so it's neccessary to know who is doing the beholding.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Okay, point.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Hopefully with OSX for Intel there will be a better solution. A person shouldn't have to install and emulate an OS if all they need is to run a single program.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Well the *best* you could hope for would be an API replacement layer such as WINE.

So yes, you're still going to have to install a translation/emulation layer to run Windows programs. There's simply no way around that.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Or dual-boot.

One machine, Two OS's

Though I can't, for the life of me, imagine why you would voluntarily boot a machine into Windows if it is capable of running OSX.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well the *best* you could hope for would be an API replacement layer such as WINE.

So yes, you're still going to have to install a translation/emulation layer to run Windows programs. There's simply no way around that.

Actually what's needed is a Rosetta type program that will translate Windows executables directly into native OSX executables. That would be bling bling.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Or dual-boot.

One machine, Two OS's

Though I can't, for the life of me, imagine why you would voluntarily boot a machine into Windows if it is capable of running OSX.

Or VMWare for OSX. This is still overkill just to run a single program.