iBook Stampede!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Remember someone posting a $50 used iBook sale at a school in VA last week?

It made the news today: 5000+ people rushed the place, 17 hurt.

I hope Apple gives a brand new ibook to the woman who's baby's stroller got crushed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/44333

Why? It wasn't Apple's fault, it was the city/school district that held the sale.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    http://www.nbc12.com/servlet/Satelli...=1031784465955

There's a video there. Quite scary I'd say, but a $50 iBook is basically theft. Throw in a new RAM chip and a new HDD, and you've yourself a great computer.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/44333

Why? It wasn't Apple's fault, it was the city/school district that held the sale.

agreed. it also shows how short-sighted the henrico officials on the scene were for this, since they had already postponed the sale once, and they KNEW of the crowd that was planning to storm the place, even from news and online reports. "gosh, we've heard about people coming from across the country for this. bob, do you think we need some better crowd control and safety measures? or do you think we should raise the prices to weed out those doing this solely for profit???" "Nah, open the doors and get outta the way."
  • Reply 4 of 9
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    The school district must not be needing money. Those iBooks could have been sold for much more. Why not donate them to another less fortunate school district. Kids need all the help they can get in the poor quality US schools.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    The ironic thing is, if they were selling 4 year old PC laptops for $50, they would have been over charging!

• Reply 6 of 9
    bronxitebronxite Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

The school district must not be needing money. Those iBooks could have been sold for much more. Why not donate them to another less fortunate school district. Kids need all the help they can get in the poor quality US schools.

kids in less fortunate school districts need books and quality teachers more than they need laptops
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

kids in less fortunate school districts need books and quality teachers more than they need laptops

And a few good mentors wouldn't hurt either!

I get MUCH more satisfaction out of the mentoring program than I do helping workerbees use their Macs, or even helping the niecephews with their homework! If you can spare the time, it's the best feeling on earth--but if you'd rather hide in a server closet, they always need help along those lines too! Should I mention the mentors in my program are 95% young beautiful woman? If THAT doesn't get some male volunteers into the program I don't know what will. eMail if you want to join the local NYC chapter.

VolunteerMatch.org
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bronxite

So sell the iBooks at a reasonable price and use the extra money to get the books and quality teachers.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

So sell the iBooks at a reasonable price and use the extra money to get the books and quality teachers.

they spent millions of dollars implementing an apple iBook student-to-student program and then the school board decided to do a complete 180 degree shift and choose Dell when the contract was up thus negating all previous progress/work/investment

Does it really seem like this school board has any idea what the hell they are doing?