iPod software stops smart playlists

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The new iPod software (Podcast support) disables the automatic smart playlist updates on the iPod. For example I have a playlist of music played in the last 24 hours, in the past this has updated after I played a song on the iPod but no longer does so. My all rated playlist also refuses to update until I've updated it on my PowerBook.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    spikespike Posts: 20member
    Yeah, it's very annoying, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. I had to restore my iPod to the previous software version to get that functionality back. Working smart playlists are a lot more important to me than Podcasts.

There's a big thread about it on Apple's support site.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spike

Yeah, it's very annoying, hopefully it will be fixed in the next update. I had to restore my iPod to the previous software version to get that functionality back. Working smart playlists are a lot more important to me than Podcasts.

There's a big thread about it on Apple's support site.

thanks for the info, i like podcasts and smart playlists so i'm in a bit of a dilemma!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Does it still transfer rating changes from the iPod to iTunes? I'm not at home on my Mac, so I can't check until late this evening.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Does it still transfer rating changes from the iPod to iTunes? I'm not at home on my Mac, so I can't check until late this evening.

I'm pretty sure it does, i just tried to change the rating on one of my songs in the 5* playlist and it crashed the iPod.

Ok just managed to do it, it does copy over ratings just doesn't update till you plug the iPod into a computer.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Excellent. It's interesting how often I want to upgrade/downgrade some of my songs:

"Why the hell did I rate this song so high?"

"This is an awesome song! Why didn't I rate it (higher)?"
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Excellent. It's interesting how often I want to upgrade/downgrade some of my songs:

"Why the hell did I rate this song so high?"

"This is an awesome song! Why didn't I rate it (higher)?"

it is a shame that it doesn't update them in the playlists though. On a long holiday away from your computer it can be quite frustrating. You can rate a song or really dislike one but not remove it or add to playlists.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I was wondering what happened to this functionality... it was the podcasting update, eh?

Dammit, I don't even use podcasts and now I have lost one of my favorite benefits of ratings/smart playlists!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

I was wondering what happened to this functionality... it was the podcasting update, eh?

Dammit, I don't even use podcasts and now I have lost one of my favorite benefits of ratings/smart playlists!

you can reverse it if you don't use podcasting
  • Reply 9 of 11
    You can still even listen to podcasts without the specific podcast software on your iPod. You just have to get a little tricky with smart playlists in iTunes, yes?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

You can still even listen to podcasts without the specific podcast software on your iPod. You just have to get a little tricky with smart playlists in iTunes, yes?

Oh I didn't realise this. Well it took Apple 8 months to actually get the slideshow feature to work so this could take some time!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Oh I didn't realise this.

Yeah, I'd updated to iTunes 4.9 the morning podcasting was released but didn't get my iPod updated until later in the day. Before the iPod update, iTunes essentially created a podcast playlist with all the latest podcasts that had been loaded. Theoretically, you can (even still) create a smart playlist with the specific names of the podcasts and tailor your Date Added settings to keep the latest one of each in the smart playlist.