Recommend some picture frames

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hi all.

Recently I found some really old black and white pictures of mine, and I sent them to be enlarged. I was pondering wether to do a 20x30 size or 16x20. I went with 16x20 because 20x30 seemed excessive to me. Now, I want those pictures to be hung around my room, similar to posters, and I need some good looking frames.

The only problem: I don't know of any good looking frames. So I turn to you guys. I realize that different people have different tastes, however, every entry is welcome and equally appreciated. I myself like simple things, simple furnite. I guess that's why IKEA is my favorite place to buy stuff. I know, I know.. go to IKEA and pick them myself, but I don't have any time! Too much work! And the nearest one is about 2 hours from here in some rich suburb (which I hate). I'd rather order them online, or something.

So, show me what you got.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Ooh... Good post! I'm interested in the responses as well! I've been looking for some great frames to hang digital prints in as well... Glad to see I'm not alone!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I don't like frames myself. I like pictures mounted on a solid backing only. No frame or glass.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Repeat after me: simple frame, white matte.

There are of course endless options, but you can't go wrong with a pure white matte and a square profile black or natural wood frame.

The matte should be fairly large all the way around (it's a common mistake to undersize the matte-- there needs to be enough neutral space to clearly differentiate the photograph from the frame). Say four to six inches in your case, which means your frame will have to be sized accordingly.

Don't be afraid to crop the photo when you matte it, it often helps focus the shot.

The matte has to be white white white, especially for a black and white photo. Trying to pick up on some grey mid-tone just dulls the impact of the print.

For my taste, wood has a softer, nicer feel than metal frames. and a square profile is classier than rounded, which has a sort of school room vibe.

For instance:

This is a great look that scales well. Picture that same frame in either black or a birch type natural wood.

Consider having your pictures professionally mounted. Then you can choose your exact matte and have the frame fit the resulting size. Plus, framers know how to use materials that won't damage your prints over time. It costs more than off the shelf stuff but looks a lot better.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    adamrao: thanks!

ThinkingDifferent: I thought about that too, but it wouldn't fit well with some of the furniture I have in my room. Thanks.

addabox: that's one cool frame! Real, real nice. I might take your advice with regard to professionals doing the work. Very sound and reasonable. I'm glad we have the same taste (I was gonna go for a white matte and wood too, just had no idea where to start).

Thanks guys!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Until relatively recently I was a picture framer so I hope you don't mind if I make a few suggestions, even if they basically repeat addaboxs.Photos have to be framed for their protection and we use mount card to keep the photo away from the glass, as well as for aesthetics. I would recommend an acid-free card for the mount and a simple black frame, either stained and waxed wood or a laminate. Alternatively a dark wood such as maple as in addaboxs photo would do nicely. Keep it simple and unfussy and let your photos shine. If the pictures are especially precious to you perhaps UV glass, though expensive, would really show them off. ( As well as protecting the photos from fading the glass eliminates most reflections so you really see the artwork)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    there are frames at my ritz camera shop that I have come to love. They have a sheet of glass cut to whatever size it is you're buying, and then a plastic frame that mereley holds that glass against the photo... it just barely -barely- wraps around the edge of the glass... a millimeter or so just to hold it firmly. The effect is a thick version of your picture (frame goes back 3/4" or so) with glass on the front. They can accommodate single layer mattes as well. If I had a digital camera anymore I'd take a picture of what I'm talking about and post it up for you - but alas it is dead. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Asaph
  • Reply 7 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    35mm film doesn't really scale well beyond 8x10." 16x20 would be an absolute max.