Skipping A Year

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just wondering - iLife '05 doesn't interest me that much and so I don't really want to get it unless it's a gift to me... just don't feel the HD to move me much, and I use Logic for recording - the Garageband Capabilities I have now are plenty fine. Now, I assume that iLife '06 will have something cool... because that's how it usually works - if something doesn't interest me one year, it sure will the next. So, assuming it isn't too drastic, do you all think I could go from iLife '04 to iLife '06? Or must I have '05 at some point?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    There is unlikely to ever be any requirement to having a prior version. I am not sure where you would get the idea that this was not so.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Wow wouldn't software companies love it if they could make you do that, buy all the upgrades. Then how far back would they make you go? Then again I suppose that's what many companies would like to do with subscription models for software.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    nah, you could upgrade to iLife '06 from the original iLife, I'm sure. For example, you can get the upgrade price on super-pricey photoshop, illustrator, etc. even if all you have is version 4.0 or something equally ancient.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    OMG!

You need to go purchase the most recent version of iLife IMMEDIATELY !! I find it hard to believe that your computer will even FUNCTION with an outdated version installed !

(I figure if folks can post such stupid questions, I can post smart-a$$ replies)
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    More stupid answers than the original stupid post. But thanks for the few who understood.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

OMG!

You need to go purchase the most recent version of iLife IMMEDIATELY !! I find it hard to believe that your computer will even FUNCTION with an outdated version installed !

(I figure if folks can post such stupid questions, I can post smart-a$$ replies)

that was mean. it was a fine question, jackass
  • Reply 7 of 8
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Just wondering - iLife '05 doesn't interest me that much and so I don't really want to get it unless it's a gift to me... just don't feel the HD to move me much, and I use Logic for recording - the Garageband Capabilities I have now are plenty fine. Now, I assume that iLife '06 will have something cool... because that's how it usually works - if something doesn't interest me one year, it sure will the next. So, assuming it isn't too drastic, do you all think I could go from iLife '04 to iLife '06? Or must I have '05 at some point?

You do not need iLife '05 before getting iLife '06, and at this point in time it would be a waste of money since '06 is just around the corner. I got the version 3.x iApps with my iBook and I purchased iLife '04 and '05 and will most likely get '06.

My reasons for getting iLife '05 were:

1 - Ability to navigate using a calendar which bolds the dates photos were taken making it easier to locate them.

2 - Import QuickTime video created with digital cameras.

3 - Better editing controls.

4 - Easier syncing with my .mac account.

If iPods get video capabilities then some possibilities for iLife '06 are:

1 - iMovie can export video or create aliases to iTunes.

2 - iMovie will have it's own "base" library in iTunes like Podcasts have.

3 - A new app called iMedia which will be used to play your iLife content.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

that was mean. it was a fine question, jackass

It was all in jest ... hence the smiley at the end of the post.

But really .... it was kind of an odd question...

..."I really don't need this thing, and I'll never use it, but someone wants to sell it to me, so should I buy it anyway ????"

That IS a fine question !