Wireless network at home - Range Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to set up a wireless network between my house and office out he back and I was wondering if the airport express would make the distance. My office is about 20 ? 25 meters away and it would need to travel thought at least a plastered wall glass window/brick wall and to the office witch is main glass at the front and wood. If you don?t think that I could make the distance what other wireless routers/switches would you suggest? Thanks for an advice and help much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The Airport Express will probably reach, but it will be at the maximum extent of its range. You might want to look into an Airport Extreme together with an external antenna to boost your signal.

Also, remember to encrypt your wireless signal, you don't want to give the neighboors free internet access.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks baranovich

I think it may just reach here is a rought layout map. May give people a bit more of an idea.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~fitzy55/network.jpg

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Do you already have the Airport Express? If so, why not try it out and see if it reaches with acceptable speed.

Nice picture/diagram btw. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thanks baranovich

No i don't have an airport express yet. Because i don't want to spend AU$200 on one and doesn't do what i primarily want it to do. Although it would be handy for other stuff. I don't really want to get a 3rd party wireless switch unless i really have to. I would prefer to stick with all apple. I may look at getting 2 airport express or airport extreme and antenna.

Daniel
  • Reply 5 of 7
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I don't think the express has the reange that you want. The Extreme is great except it only has 1 ethernet net connection. I have found it to be more stable than my linksys ( less problems after power fails, signal fading for no reason ). Dr. Bott is an antenna that will do what you want but it cost more than an express.

reg
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Go buy yourself a can of Pringles and a coat-hanger. Enjoy!

I would also recommend D-Link , (but it will cost more money) as they have exceptional wireless coverage. I have a Nokia, Network Everywhere (Think Linksys), D-Link, and Airport networks. D-Link is by FAR the best when it comes to range. I can access networks 4 houses away where my others have trouble from the driveway.

• Reply 7 of 7
    I'm thinking of getting a Linksys WAG54G-AU because of the range 60-100m but if the express could reach I would get it. I'm going to meassure out the distance tommorw and go from there. If any one out there has any airport express how have you found the distance of the express after going through a brick wall.

Thank