Where do you get your widgets from?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know of Apple's website and Dashboard Showcase. Are there other good sites that offer free widget downloads? What are you favourite sites?

And although I'm sure this may have already been discussed, which widgets do you suggest?

I suggest symphonic, which is a tiny widget in which you type one or two keywords of any song on your computer and it will play in iTunies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Nobody? 60 views and no ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No. Those are the two big sites (the second of which was recently merged). What are you missing?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I was afraid I was missing something. Apparently not.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Pluggish, but me and friend run a site that has a selection of widgets. Check us out. Some of our more popular ones are: BitSticks, a stand-alone BitTorrent client widget. Capture, a screen/selection/window capturing widget. And Snake.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    BitSticks is great! Thanks!

Although.. it would be nice to be able to have some further prefs like Upload/Download speed caps per Torrent and also the possibility of changing the Port it uses.

Also, an alert of somekind.. and possibility of Ratio or Timed auto stop once the torrent that has been downloaded is done
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Or you could just use a proper BitTorrent client. Seriously, what's up with people running entire applications as widgets? What's next, a Dashboard spreadsheet? A dashboard word processing?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    There's this Dashboard widget site, and I'm sure there are others.

And of course, you can always download my BART schedules and news widget from my website. Plug plug.

Personally, I tend to use Apple's site or VersionTracker.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

BitSticks is great! Thanks!

Although.. it would be nice to be able to have some further prefs like Upload/Download speed caps per Torrent and also the possibility of changing the Port it uses.

Also, an alert of somekind.. and possibility of Ratio or Timed auto stop once the torrent that has been downloaded is done

Version 0.2 will have download/upload caps.

Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Or you could just use a proper BitTorrent client. Seriously, what's up with people running entire applications as widgets? What's next, a Dashboard spreadsheet? A dashboard word processing?

Um.. Because things like BitTorrent clients are well suited to it? Unless you want to just sit and stare at progress bars until something is done..

Excuse us for wanting to add a bit more choice.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by esXXI

Um.. Because things like BitTorrent clients are well suited to it? Unless you want to just sit and stare at progress bars until something is done.

Whatever happened to closing or minimizing windows?

Quote:

Excuse us for wanting to add a bit more choice.

Nothing wrong with choice. But using Dashboard for full-blown applications occurs to me as odd.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Whatever happened to closing or minimizing windows?

I wouldn't like the app icon taking up space, but I'm anal like that.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with choice. But using Dashboard for full-blown applications occurs to me as odd.

I agree - I wouldn't want a web browser or word processor as a widget, but I think a BT client is okay because of the way you're not constantly using it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    ok.. BitSticks is buggy as hell...

The window would half diassappear, and after I even forced quit the widget, it was still uploading ... had to restart to kill it!

I can send you screenshot of it... send me a PM with your email...

ZO