Governor Jobs, do you solemnly swear....

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Hey what do you know, it?s almost time for another reality TV installment of ?Look who?s running for California Governor? but this time it looks like Stevey might have a go. Looky, looky ....

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=004&sc=802

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000557055249/

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2005/8/20/1013

I guess he?s not taking Dell pouching in his education area lightly. Hmmm If I control the school funding then....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I don't think he's ready quite yet to retire from Apple, nor do I think he'd make it in the political arena. Jobs has no patience.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    They mention Jerry Brown as a possible candidate, as in the Dead Kennedys song "California Ubber Alles" -

I am Governor Jerry Brown

My aura smiles

And never frowns

Soon I will be president ...

Carter power will soon go away

I will be FÜhrer one day

I will command all of you

Your kids will meditate in school

California Über Alles

Über Alles California

Zen fascists will control you

100% natural

You will jog for the master race

And always wear the happy face

Close your eyes, can't happen here

Big Bro' on white horse is near

The hippies won't come back you say

Mellow out or you will pay

California Über Alles

Über Alles California

Now it is 1984

Knock knock at your front door

It's the suede/denim secret police

They have come for your uncool neice

Come quietly to the camp

You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp

Don't you worry, it's only a shower

For your clothes here's a pretty flower...

DIE on organic poison gas

Serpent's egg's already hatched

You will creak, you little clown

When you mess with President Brown

California Über Alles

Über Alles California
  • Reply 3 of 16
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't think he's ready quite yet to retire from Apple, nor do I think he'd make it in the political arena. Jobs has no patience.

He also gets nervous in front of crowds.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    "Welcome everybody to this year's State of the State Address. Our folks at the state government have been working really hard on some really neat things, and we've got some great stuff for you today. So let's get started..."
  • Reply 5 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's my immigration policy, boom. Here's how we do taxes... boom. Isn't that neat? Boom, boom. This is education, boom. Boom. Here's that again, boom. Boom.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's my immigration policy, boom. Here's how we do taxes... boom. Isn't that neat? Boom, boom. This is education, boom. Boom. Here's that again, boom. Boom.

Are you suggesting that he will shoot everyone?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    While an improvement over Schwarzenegger, I do not feel that Steve Jobs would make a good governor either. At least I'm confident that Steve Jobs would have the balls to stand up to big money and try to improve things.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

While an improvement over Schwarzenegger, I do not feel that Steve Jobs would make a good governor either. At least I'm confident that Steve Jobs would have the balls to stand up to big money and try to improve things.

The people he would need to stand up to are the voters - they are the ones that screw everything up with all their stupid "don't tax this or that" ballot measures.

$2000 property tax on a $40 million dollar mansion is way too low.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The people he would need to stand up to are the voters - they are the ones that screw everything up with all their stupid "don't tax this or that" ballot measures.

$2000 property tax on a $40 million dollar mansion is way too low.

I was thinking more along the lines of special interest groups, but the voters need to be told no from time to time. It helps if you do it nicely though.

I wonder if Steve's reality distortion field tm works in the realm of politics?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    e, outstanding! The DK's wrote some hard-hitting political satire in the guise of "Punk rock". Didn't always agree with their views but it was thought provoking and songs like C.U.A. had some mean hooks...

"Well you'll work harder

With a gun in your back

For a bowl of rice a day

Slave for soldiers

Till you starve

Then your head is skewered on a stake"

Ah yes, it's a holiday in Cambodia...

OHH yeah, S. Jobs as Gov. Nahhhh...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    It would be fun...he would walk arround state buildings firing the riff raff...

Jobs"What do you do for me?"

guy"I am in charge of the highway dept, sir"

Jobs"What a crappy job you are doing, I havnt seen anything good from that division in months, and I hit a pothole on the interstate on my way to the office today...YOU'RE FIRED"
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The people he would need to stand up to are the voters

This is the crux of it isn't it. Voters seem to constantly want two things:

1. The governement to do more, and...

2. Lower taxes

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship." -- Alexander Tyler

Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

but the voters need to be told no from time to time

Unfortunately, no one ever gets elected by telling the voters "no".

• Reply 13 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

I hope you were kidding, right? Steve has the charisma of a thousand men, in front of a multi-thousand person audience each year.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

"Welcome everybody to this year's State of the State Address. Our folks at the state government have been working really hard on some really neat things, and we've got some great stuff for you today. So let's get started..."

+1

Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

+2

"One more thing...

You may have heard something about California secceeding from the United States..."
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Yeah i was see its face. Its really nervous.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Brilliant!

But we've got one more thing...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

It would be fun...he would walk arround state buildings firing the riff raff...

Jobs"What do you do for me?"

guy"I am in charge of the highway dept, sir"

Jobs"What a crappy job you are doing, I havnt seen anything good from that division in months, and I hit a pothole on the interstate on my way to the office today...YOU'RE FIRED"

• Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You're kidding right? We have he nation?s highest income tax, highest state sales tax rate, highest gas tax, and highest corporate tax in the west.

Californians are taxed enough. Period. No, I don't want my car tax tripled, no I don't want my property tax to go up. And no, I don't want to pay any more in sales tax. I want our state to handle it's spending problem. Revenues are up 40% vs. when Ahnald took office from Gumby and where are we? Don't tell me "it's a revenue problem" cause it's not. It's a spending problem that the Governator was supposed to do something about and he didn't.