Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

If you right click and your left finger is resting on the mouse it will register as left click automatically. As most clicks are left this makes sense. If you want to right click you have to raise your left finger slightly. I do this most of the time naturally so this isn't a problem for me.

It's NOT supposed to be that way. You aren't supposed to have to lift your finger to right click. You don't ever have to do this with a properly designed mouse or trackball.

This has been one of the questions that's been going around on the forums. Almost nobody likes the idea of having to lift a finger.

That's why I proposed sensitivity adjustments.

Apple didn't get this just right, Let's admit it for once. Even the guys at the store in Soho admit that it shouldn't work that way.
  • Reply 222 of 239
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's NOT supposed to be that way. You aren't supposed to have to lift your finger to right click. You don't ever have to do this with a properly designed mouse or trackball.

This has been one of the questions that's been going around on the forums. Almost nobody likes the idea of having to lift a finger.

That's why I proposed sensitivity adjustments.

Apple didn't get this just right, Let's admit it for once. Even the guys at the store in Soho admit that it shouldn't work that way.

It works for me most of the time. It may not be the way Apple intended it to be but I'm very happy with my mouse. The only thing I miss is the second side button like I had on my Logitech MX500
  • Reply 223 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

It works for me most of the time. It may not be the way Apple intended it to be but I'm very happy with my mouse. The only thing I miss is the second side button like I had on my Logitech MX500

I'm posting a question and answer from an interview with John Gruber from Daring Fireball from Guidebookgallery.org.

http://daringfireball.net/

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/index

"And hot on the heels of the announcement of the Mighty Mouse, what?s your opinion about it ? Apple catching up or leading the pack?

The scroll ball is terrific ? better than any scroll wheel I?ve ever used. If you just think of it as a single-button mouse with a scroll ball, it?s a nice improvement over the Apple Pro Mouse. But the fact that you have to lift your fingers off the left side of the mouse to register a right-click (or vice-versa) is a serious design flaw, in my opinion.

I plan to write a full review of the Mighty Mouse in the next couple of days."

His opinion syncs up with the vast majority. Some may like it, but it is a flaw. Most of the time isn't good enough. It should be virtually always.
  • Reply 224 of 239
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I finally got a chance to play with one... it was... odd. But then, I haven't used *any* mouse on a regular basis in three years (laptops only). To be honest, I found the scroll ball to be the weirdest part, while the slight lift of the left finger while right-clicking felt... natural. I guess I just always did it anyway.
  • Reply 225 of 239
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    (right-handed/lefthanded)

is it just me, but if my index finger is resting on the left mouse button, middle finger on the scrollwheel/ball, i wouldn't be able to really lift my fourth finger to right click without lifting both my index finger and my middle finger.

its like that test, rest both hands on a table, and try to lift each finger individually without lifting the other fingers, and some fingers like your index finger no worries, but others like the fourth finger is really hard to lift it high without lifting your other fingers.

hmmm the mighty mouse might have already shown up in AppleCentres in Malaysistan, i'll have to go play with one to see what the fuss is about. i found a decently priced wireless mouse/keyboard combo thing but it was M$ and i simply couldn't bring myself to buy one.

edit: i would buy a logitech keyboard/mouse wireless USB combo thingy but i absolute LOATHE all the other rubbish buttons on the keyboards. so frickin unnecessary.
  • Reply 226 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

is it just me, but if my index finger is resting on the left mouse button, middle finger on the scrollwheel/ball, i wouldn't be able to really lift my fourth finger to right click without lifting both my index finger and my middle finger.

its like that test, rest both hands on a table, and try to lift each finger individually without lifting the other fingers, and some fingers like your index finger no worries, but others like the fourth finger is really hard to lift it high without lifting your other fingers.

hmmm the mighty mouse might have already shown up in AppleCentres in Malaysistan, i'll have to go play with one to see what the fuss is about. i found a decently priced wireless mouse/keyboard combo thing but it was M$ and i simply couldn't bring myself to buy one.

edit: i would buy a logitech keyboard/mouse wireless USB combo thingy but i absolute LOATHE all the other rubbish buttons on the keyboards. so frickin unnecessary.

Take off your brass knuckles before you use it.
  • Reply 227 of 239
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I Used one! I used one! Pretty good.
  • Reply 228 of 239
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Just to go completly off topic - I saw a dead possum this morning. It looked like it had fallen off a powerline, as there was a big blood spot on the ground, then a few feet away the possum was.

Stupid possum.

This post was going to have something in it, but i decided against it.
  • Reply 229 of 239
    Quote:

You don't need to lift the fourth finger, just the index and middle. It would only be a problem if you reversed the primary and secondary click and still used your right hand. Oh and most left-handed people have reasonably flexible fingers - I can move all independently.
  • Reply 230 of 239
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    heh... poor bloody possums

also, looks like my fingers are defective as i have learnt

this thread has now died a natural death
  • Reply 231 of 239
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

this thread has now died a natural death

Not quite ... There's one more request for a next MM software update: faster mousetracking. With the current large flatscreens, it's just needed ...

So, crank up the tracking topspeed please, Apple !
  • Reply 232 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Not quite ... There's one more request for a next MM software update: faster mousetracking. With the current large flatscreens, it's just needed ...

So, crank up the tracking topspeed please, Apple !

By any chance are you a Windows switcher? Apple tracking is generally slower but has accelerated scrolling so that if you move the mouse faster it's faster. I find the tracking to be perfect on all mice on my computer - apart from logitech with their crappy drivers.
  • Reply 233 of 239
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Should be a limit on thread posts - after six pages, we are talking about things that have been discussed and rediscussed.

Does no one (including me) have a life anymores?
  • Reply 234 of 239
    Yeah, I can't believe it. Only us Mac users could possibly think that a crappy mouse is worth a thread like this.

It's not even as though multibutton and scrolling mice hadn't been supported for six or seven years now.

This certainly my last post to this thread.
  • Reply 235 of 239
    Welp, mine broke already. It can scroll up, left, and right, and that's about it...

Gotta call AppleCare tonight or tomorrow and ask for RMA.
  • Reply 236 of 239
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    has anyone tried the Macmice.com two button scroll mouse. You can get it with bluetooth as well and it still has the apple look.
  • Reply 237 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by M1C

has anyone tried the Macmice.com two button scroll mouse. You can get it with bluetooth as well and it still has the apple look.

I've heard there are conflicts when using it with a bluetooth keyboard - to be honest the ball on the Mighty Mouse is the best scrolling device on a mouse, second only to the two-finger scrolling on my PowerBook.
  • Reply 238 of 239
    When I was looking at the Mighty Mouse and that marvelous scrollball, the first thought that popped into my mind was to use it on the iBook/Powerbook line.

Hey, I mean wouldn't it be great to be able to scroll any way you like by having that little ball on top of your trackpad ?

Two finger scrolling (or sidetrack) is nice but it would really be great to have an actual scrolling device.
  • Reply 239 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aznakh

When I was looking at the Mighty Mouse and that marvelous scrollball, the first thought that popped into my mind was to use it on the iBook/Powerbook line.

Hey, I mean wouldn't it be great to be able to scroll any way you like by having that little ball on top of your trackpad ?

Two finger scrolling (or sidetrack) is nice but it would really be great to have an actual scrolling device.

I think it's more convenient to just add a finger to the track-pad - I've got friends with scrolling strips next to the track-pad and that's much less convenient than the Apple solution. The current solution I find the best - it's too awkward to move your finger off the track-pad to get to a ball.