Intel shows new chips, outlines platform directions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Speaking at the Intel Developer Forum on Tuesday company chief executive Paul Otellini said the industry is on a new "performance per watt" course that will deliver powerful Intel-based computers that are increasingly smaller, sleeker and more energy-efficient.

During his keynote address at San Francisco's Moscone Center, Otellini unveiled the company's next-generation, power-optimized micro-architecture for future digital home, enterprise, mobile and emerging market platforms -- and low-power products aimed at a new category of converged consumer devices.

In the second half of 2006, Otellini said Intel will introduce the micro-architecture, which combines the strength of the company's current Intel NetBurst and Pentium M micro-architectures and adds new features.

The multicore foundation will help enable unique computer designs that will power the industry's most sophisticated and user-friendly digital home and office PCs, according to the company. It will also help IT managers increase responsiveness and productivity while at the same time reducing real-estate and electricity burdens company's face as server data centers grow.

"You're going to see Intel combine its R&D innovation, manufacturing and technology leadership with energy-efficient micro-architectures and powerful multicore processors to deliver unique platforms best tailored to individual needs," Otellini said.

"We will deliver 'factor of 10' breakthroughs to a variety of platforms that can reduce energy consumption tenfold or bring 10 times the performance of today's products."

Otellini showed the first public demonstration of Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest, which are codenames for upcoming Intel processors for notebook, desktop and server platforms designed on the company's 65-nanometer technology manufacturing process. He also said Intel has more than 10 processor projects that contain four (quad-core) or more processor cores per chip.

Otellini also announced that forthcoming lower-power products will lead to a new category of ultra energy-efficient "Handtop PC" devices that provide a converged communication and PC-like experience but require less than a watt of processing power and weigh under a pound.

At the event, Intel also showcased a concept "community computer" that has the ability to run for several hours on a car battery and withstand temperatures greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit. It includes screens and filters to reduce the effect of wind storms, dust and bugs, and can provide Internet access through wireless networks such as WiMAX. The company believes WiMAX plays a key role in both delivering high-speed broadband and premium entertainment to digital homes, as well as Internet access to rural areas.

Intel also said it is working closely with the emerging digital entertainment industry to spur innovation in the home, including PC and CE devices that work together effortlessly and deliver the latest online content services for anytime, anywhere access.

The Intel Developer Forums runs throughout the week and is expected to provide further details about the processor architecture in news briefings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 177
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:

From article: At the event, Intel also showcased a concept "community computer" that has the ability to run for several hours on a car battery...

A CAR battery??? My laptop battery has a small fraction of the power that a car battery has. I don't want to be lugging around a car battery to power my computer.

Quote:

...and withstand temperatures greater than 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Um, current computers can run at temperatures up to that. At least, I have used them outside when the temperature was at least that hot. My laptop processor often gets to temperatures of about 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

I really hope this is a typo or there is something more to this.
  • Reply 2 of 177
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wall outlet: 120V. Car battery: 12V. There's a little conversion to be done there. This isn't a laptop, this is for a central computer for a village. Think server-class.

Temp: Read the manual that came with your computer. Operating ambient temperature is maxed at 80deg for most machine. Any hotter, and the thing can't cool appropriately, and will overheat. It's not the internal temp that is 100deg, it's the external.

This community computer is useful in environments where grid electricity and little things like AC are rare - a remote village, etc. Car batteries are cheap and plentiful, greater ruggedness is a big plus, etc. Cool beans.
  • Reply 3 of 177
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quevar

A CAR battery??? My laptop battery has a small fraction of the power that a car battery has. I don't want to be lugging around a car battery to power my computer.

Yes and Microsoft has been working on Windows Vista CBE (car battery edition).

It supposedly will tell you when to crank the car and recharge the battery. However due to slipping delivery times on the project, Microsoft is considering removing this feature. They promise that this feature will be added at a future date after Vista CBE ships.
  • Reply 4 of 177
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quevar

Um, current computers can run at temperatures up to that. At least, I have used them outside when the temperature was at least that hot. My laptop processor often gets to temperatures of about 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

I really hope this is a typo or there is something more to this.

No typo. That is what they said.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 5 of 177
    Quote:

"We will deliver 'factor of 10' breakthroughs to a variety of platforms that can reduce energy consumption tenfold or bring 10 times the performance of today's products."

So THIS is why Apple chose Intel. Suddenly everything makes sense.
  • Reply 6 of 177
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    A car battery is 12V and has usually about 55 to 100Ah. A laptop battery is generally 14.8V and has as much as 5Ah. The difference is that a KIOSK is generally an outdoor piece of equipment, and it needs to run for a while between recharges. It also needs an ultra-bright LCD or a transfelctive one, and large transflective displays don't really exist. Ultra-bright displays consume a lot of power. Running a KIOSK off a car battery is pretty old-hat, but having a modern processor that can run at 40 Centigrade ambient temp is not. Currently, good outdoor kiosks run ULV Celerons or P-Ms clocked around 1GHz, which makes them pretty much useless for rich multimedia.

As for the processor that uses less than 1 watt, I can only guess that this is some sort of hopped-up dual core XScale or whatnot. I don't think it's at all possible to get the P-M architecture down to those levels.
  • Reply 7 of 177
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Go, go, go Intel!

Can't wait for my first MacIntel.
  • Reply 8 of 177
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I don't think IBM is just going to stand by while Intel makes massive breakthroughs in processors.

At least I hope not. I'm hoping for a g5 ppc laptop.

Anyone notice that ATI has a 9600 video card that is dual platform. What does this mean?
  • Reply 9 of 177
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rain

I don't think IBM is just going to stand by while Intel makes massive breakthroughs in processors.

Anyone notice that ATI has a 9600 video card that is dual platform. What does this mean?

I hope this finally means ATI will continue to produce graphics cards of the "one card fits all" variety.

With Macintels coming out, I'd be very pissed off if ATI made the PC cards and Mac cards seperate product.

And if this finally means one card fits all, then we'll see Mac prices shoot down.

PS...I think it's too late for IBM and Freescale to kiss and make up. No matter who was at fault, Apple or IBM or Freescale, during the last 6 years is irrelevant. Apple is making the switch and won't be switching back for at least a few years.

And now that the AIM (AIF?) alliance is completely broken, I don't think IBM or Freescale have any real incentive to keep improving the PPC. And if they do, hardly anybody will care because all the desktop OS platforms will be running on x86.
  • Reply 10 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

Yes and Microsoft has been working on Windows Vista CBE (car battery edition).

It supposedly will tell you when to crank the car and recharge the battery. However due to slipping delivery times on the project, Microsoft is considering removing this feature. They promise that this feature will be added at a future date after Vista CBE ships.

LOL!

So now thers Windows Vista home, Windows Vista pro, Windows Vista tablet, Windows Vista media center, Windows Vista Car battery edition, etc. etc. etc. etc. Why not just make one OS for all! Apple.. if you make a Tablet... please dont make it Mac OS X Tiger Tablet Edition! I would die!
  • Reply 11 of 177
    "65-nanometer technology manufacturing process. He also said Intel has more than 10 processor projects that contain four (quad-core) or more processor cores per chip."

Oh grand Phoobah in the sky "Tell me that Apple is all over this Idea,and is making plans for 64 bit G5/6`s or whatever powermac Etc. based on this" "drool"

"just picture the ad..... Rob Zombies thunderkiss 65 heard playing in the background you hear rob yelling "FIVE YEAH" "FIVE YEAH" Then you hear Jeff Goldblum, The new dual 3.6 Ghz 5 core G6 from apple... its like having ten machines in one,rule the world when you boot up.... only from apple. "FIVE YEAH" "FIVE FIVE YEAH"

"Otellini also announced that forthcoming lower-power products will lead to a new category of ultra energy-efficient "Handtop PC" devices that provide a converged communication and PC-like experience but require less than a watt of processing power and weigh under a pound."

"please tell me that somthing like this will end up in an Ibook/ Powerbook along with large storage flash drives so that we may have a Notebook as thin or thinner than an Ipod but almost as fast as a Desktop... LETS HOPE! Mac fans This is A day for Prayer............ 8)
  • Reply 12 of 177
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rain

You forget that IBM has the Cell, which at least for the time being, seems to be the big dog on the block. They're not really in the low-power market, so I don't think they care all that much. Their embedded PPC business looks like it will dry up once Freescale starts rolling their wares into the market, and I think IBM is perfectly content to fulfill the "big machine" market that they defined, and to completely trim any market segment that doesn't somehow fit woth this motive. The next gen game consoles are pretty darn similar to nodes on a super computer, which falls neatly into their business model.
  • Reply 13 of 177
    Quote:

Otellini showed the first public demonstration of Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest, which are codenames for upcoming Intel processors for notebook, desktop and server platforms designed on the company's 65-nanometer technology manufacturing process. He also said Intel has more than 10 processor projects that contain four (quad-core) or more processor cores per chip.

Otellini also announced that forthcoming lower-power products will lead to a new category of ultra energy-efficient "Handtop PC" devices that provide a converged communication and PC-like experience but require less than a watt of processing power and weigh under a pound.

This is pretty astonishing stuff. And lays aside any doubt behind the switch.

Factor of 10 power savings for an iBook? An iTablet? A Powerbook?

Factor of 10 performance improvement for a PowerMac?! A 40 gig PowerMac?

That's astonishing scalability.

And Merom, Conroe and Woocrest on 65 were demonstrated! None of this 'secrets', 'guessing' etc. We have a timeline. It's just a matter of 'when'. Because that's the confidence you have from a Major player like Intel whose livelihood depends on delivering cpus for the computer(!) market. The same confidence has not been demonstrated by PPC over the last 10 years because there was 'little' to show! ie during the G4 debacle, the reason it was quiet was because...THERE WERE NO IMPROVEMENTS! WE WERE STUCK!! And here's Intel openly showing .65 projects that we won't see until 2nd half 06!!!

Even more astonishing, Intel have 10(!) cpu projects with quad core or MORE(!) And we wonder why Steve Jobs wasn't that impressed with Cell?! A quad-core is the minimum we're going to get! What about an Octo-core? Suddenly, the Cell aint that hot. Certainly not compared to what Intel has in store for general purpose computing. Each cpu core on hi-def, 3d, photoshop, encoding etc...and you've got some pretty impressive stuff. I don't see Cell getting into laptops...but a dual or even quad-core Intel cpu in the next 2 years?

But it is the '1 watt' 'handheld' comments that are even more intriguing for the Intel Apple switch. Apple said they are dreaming of great products they want to make. And iPod/Shuffle are only tantalising hints of the Apple that wants to spearhead into consumer electronics, an area it can and has trounced M$ to date! Suddenly, vPods and beyond seem at least likely!

The Intel Apple switch won't send shockwaves through the industry. But in hindsight...it will look like the universe does now...as hubble traces the 'radiation' from the 'Big Bang'.

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 14 of 177
    tatletatle Posts: 4member
    With these chips Apple will be able to compile Mac OS X to run on 64-bit processors only, putting in place an effective barrier that will keep the system from being hacked and copied onto today's 32-bit x86 run off the mill hardware.

It will still not prevent anyone from installing Windows or Linux on Apple hardware ? it will only have to be 64-bit versions, or perhaps even as a 32-bit partition on the system.
  • Reply 15 of 177
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Wall outlet: 120V. Car battery: 12V. There's a little conversion to be done there. This isn't a laptop, this is for a central computer for a village. Think server-class.

Temp: Read the manual that came with your computer. Operating ambient temperature is maxed at 80deg for most machine. Any hotter, and the thing can't cool appropriately, and will overheat. It's not the internal temp that is 100deg, it's the external.

This community computer is useful in environments where grid electricity and little things like AC are rare - a remote village, etc. Car batteries are cheap and plentiful, greater ruggedness is a big plus, etc. Cool beans.

Itronics and other military grade computer high impact laptops will most certainly take advantage of these potential technologies.

Desert warfare which can handle higher temps, reduced dust into venting systems and better convective heat transfer thanks in part to a massively reduced conductive heat transfer, ala low power multi-core chips, is a win from the government down to the consumer.

With custom adaptors you could see scientists to consumers all over the world working on laptops in the mountains, deserts or wherever their interests take them and do it for work and/or pleasure.
  • Reply 16 of 177
    Yeah, and another thing that this does open up the possibility for is G5 Powerbooks WAIT, hear me out.... Before yesterday we didnt know for sure Merom was 64 bit but now that we know it is...

WILD SPECULATION FOLLOWS!!!

Laptops now outsell Desktops in US market, trend likely to follow around the world.

so Apple splits their laptop offering into 3

- Pro level 64bit G5 now ---> 64 bit dualcore Merom when it comes out, featuring HD res screens and other high end stuff (SATA Hard disk, High end graphics, etc) in a larger form factor (15 and 17 inch only) similar prices to now

- Thin and Light (a very popular market in PC land)

32 Bit G4 7448 now ---> 32 bit Dual core Yonah --->???

with 12 and 14/15 inch widescreens smaller form factor than current (if possible) mainstream products priced to compete with PC laptops, unlike current Powerbooks

- Budget Laptop iBook G4 7447 ---> single core Yonah, much the same as now maybe widescreen later.

What do you think??
  • Reply 17 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

This is pretty astonishing stuff. And lays aside any doubt behind the switch.

Factor of 10 power savings for an iBook? An iTablet? A Powerbook?

Factor of 10 performance improvement for a PowerMac?! A 40 gig PowerMac?

That's astonishing scalability.

And Merom, Conroe and Woocrest on 65 were demonstrated! None of this 'secrets', 'guessing' etc. We have a timeline. It's just a matter of 'when'. Because that's the confidence you have from a Major player like Intel whose livelihood depends on delivering cpus for the computer(!) market. The same confidence has not been demonstrated by PPC over the last 10 years because there was 'little' to show! ie during the G4 debacle, the reason it was quiet was because...THERE WERE NO IMPROVEMENTS! WE WERE STUCK!! And here's Intel openly showing .65 projects that we won't see until 2nd half 06!!!

Even more astonishing, Intel have 10(!) cpu projects with quad core or MORE(!) And we wonder why Steve Jobs wasn't that impressed with Cell?! A quad-core is the minimum we're going to get! What about an Octo-core? Suddenly, the Cell aint that hot. Certainly not compared to what Intel has in store for general purpose computing. Each cpu core on hi-def, 3d, photoshop, encoding etc...and you've got some pretty impressive stuff. I don't see Cell getting into laptops...but a dual or even quad-core Intel cpu in the next 2 years?

But it is the '1 watt' 'handheld' comments that are even more intriguing for the Intel Apple switch. Apple said they are dreaming of great products they want to make. And iPod/Shuffle are only tantalising hints of the Apple that wants to spearhead into consumer electronics, an area it can and has trounced M$ to date! Suddenly, vPods and beyond seem at least likely!

The Intel Apple switch won't send shockwaves through the industry. But in hindsight...it will look like the universe does now...as hubble traces the 'radiation' from the 'Big Bang'.

Lemon Bon Bon

Factor of 10 is marketing hyperbola. Performance increases by a factor of 10 are "subjective" at best. This plays into their marketing FUD of Performance/Watt FUD.
  • Reply 18 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

"65-nanometer technology manufacturing process. He also said Intel has more than 10 processor projects that contain four (quad-core) or more processor cores per chip."

Oh grand Phoobah in the sky "Tell me that Apple is all over this Idea,and is making plans for 64 bit G5/6`s or whatever powermac Etc. based on this" "drool"

"just picture the ad..... Rob Zombies thunderkiss 65 heard playing in the background you hear rob yelling "FIVE YEAH" "FIVE YEAH" Then you hear Jeff Goldblum, The new dual 3.6 Ghz 5 core G6 from apple... its like having ten machines in one,rule the world when you boot up.... only from apple. "FIVE YEAH" "FIVE FIVE YEAH"

"Otellini also announced that forthcoming lower-power products will lead to a new category of ultra energy-efficient "Handtop PC" devices that provide a converged communication and PC-like experience but require less than a watt of processing power and weigh under a pound."

"please tell me that somthing like this will end up in an Ibook/ Powerbook along with large storage flash drives so that we may have a Notebook as thin or thinner than an Ipod but almost as fast as a Desktop... LETS HOPE! Mac fans This is A day for Prayer............ 8)

You actually think they will keep the Generation Number scheme now that they have jumped Chipsets from PowerPC to Intel?

It will be interesting to see what Apple does, ala marketing speak, to define the new systems.
  • Reply 19 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Yeah, and another thing that this does open up the possibility for is G5 Powerbooks WAIT, hear me out.... Before yesterday we didnt know for sure Merom was 64 bit but now that we know it is...

WILD SPECULATION FOLLOWS!!!

Laptops now outsell Desktops in US market, trend likely to follow around the world.

so Apple splits their laptop offering into 3

- Pro level 64bit G5 now ---> 64 bit dualcore Merom when it comes out, featuring HD res screens and other high end stuff (SATA Hard disk, High end graphics, etc) in a larger form factor (15 and 17 inch only) similar prices to now

- Thin and Light (a very popular market in PC land)

32 Bit G4 7448 now ---> 32 bit Dual core Yonah --->???

with 12 and 14/15 inch widescreens smaller form factor than current (if possible) mainstream products priced to compete with PC laptops, unlike current Powerbooks

- Budget Laptop iBook G4 7447 ---> single core Yonah, much the same as now maybe widescreen later.

What do you think??

Laptops outselling Desktops trend is not sustainable. It will reach a saturation point, much faster than Desktops.

The Remote Office still hasn't taken off like they had hoped and the notion that the Enterprise is going to solely go laptop is not a wise choice, from a physical security perspective.

I have one laptop (iBook) and it's not motivating me to buy another one any time soon. My next system will be another desktop system for development and design. The trend of programming on the move will slow down when everyone has a laptop that is 4 or more cores and doesn't need another system for a few more years.

I don't expect to see quad cores for another 3 years as being common place.
  • Reply 20 of 177
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Laptops outselling Desktops trend is not sustainable. It will reach a saturation point, much faster than Desktops.

The Remote Office still hasn't taken off like they had hoped and the notion that the Enterprise is going to solely go laptop is not a wise choice, from a physical security perspective.

I have one laptop (iBook) and it's not motivating me to buy another one any time soon. My next system will be another desktop system for development and design. The trend of programming on the move will slow down when everyone has a laptop that is 4 or more cores and doesn't need another system for a few more years.

I don't expect to see quad cores for another 3 years as being common place.

However, now is a good time for Apple to jump on the Bandwagon, I'd like to know what makes you think the trend to laptops will reach saturation? (not flaming, just curious)