Why does Apple take advantage of it's customers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I remember a time when Apple stood by the products they sold. I've always been an Apple fan(since the classic), and probably always will be, but their customer service is getting worse and worse. I'm writing this to see if anyone else has experieced anything similar to what I have (and to warn those making purchases to know what to expect).

I recently purchased an iBook from PC Mall. I was sooooo excited about it. I got it home, installed a bunch of software (all legit. pruchased stuff like Adobe suite, etc) Next thing I know it is crashing left and right, files are showing up missing, settings disapear. So I call PC Mall, and I'm told "we don't accept returns on Apple products. They make it too difficult. You have to deal with Apple directly" So I did. I took my computer into an authorized repair center. They took it in and found that it had a bad Hard Drive. OK! It was fixed! now I could play with my machine again. I took a few hours re-installing everything and setting up ALL of my mailboxes (I have about 12), and it starts all over. First, it starts crashing, then all my e-mail accounts I set up were gone. I took it back to TekServe, and they found that it had a bad Logic Board. They replaced it and I was excited to have a working computer! HOORAY! Well...here we go with another crash-and this was before I even put any software back.

At that point I decided that Apple should replace the machine. When I caled the first couple times, different people said "take it into the shop. If it come in more than 2 times in the first 90 days, we'll give you a new unit" Well that didn't happen. When I asked them to follow through on that, I was told "absolutely not." they said they have the right to repair it as many times as it takes to get it working. Great. A brand new machine, being opened and closed over and over. Possibly having things knocked loose and damaged, and worst of all, the HOURS of my wasted time.

PC Mall agreed to exchange it, but then they decided to do it as a return. At this point I was fed up and ready to hold off on another unit. Well PC Mall gave me a credit for $325 LESS than what I paid for it, putting me over $300 in the hole. When I called I was told there was nothing they could do about it. Evern though it was a lemon, the price on that model had come down since the 3 weeks before when I bought it. They said Apple will only credit them for the current price, regardless of when it was sold.

Anyway, long story short, I'm less than pleased with the way apple handled this.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

I was told "absolutely not." they said they have the right to repair it as many times as it takes to get it working.

No, they don't. After 4 times it's considered a 'lemon' and should be returned for a refund or exchanged for a new product and all of this is under the law.

Check your local legislature, print out the corresponding law and send it to Apple and wave it in front of their 'Geniuses'. Then they'll speak a different language.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I'm actaully in the process of refusing payment on the credit card. At this point, I figure why fight the battle. I'll let PC Mall handle it. I'd rather have them try and get their money back than do it myself. I'm just very dissapointed in the company I've come to love over the years.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kkentert

I'm actaully in the process of refusing payment on the credit card. At this point, I figure why fight the battle. I'll let PC Mall handle it. I'd rather have them try and get their money back than do it myself. I'm just very dissapointed in the company I've come to love over the years.

Actually, this is PCMalls issue (at least certainly it would be here in the UK). It is irrelevant to the end consumer whether they would get the money back off Apple or not. You did the right thing by getting the CC company involved. Better let them handle it (they have more clout).

I am sorry that you have had a bad time.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I'm sorry to hear about your iBook.

It is unfortunate that a simple bad hard drive has ruined your experience. I recently got a G5 after five years with a G4/400 and I'm in computer heaven.

Iv never had to deal with apple customer service in my span of seven macs. I like to buy from stores so I can quickly bring it back if there was a problem. My first 17'' Apple CRT had the shakes - it shook when warmed up.

I took it back to the store and offered to show them how it shook. They didnt even want to see, they just took my word and I just took another one home. If I ever had a major problem with the G5, I'd demand a new one. We know how if something has broke, it is prone to break over and over and over.

I knew a person who once emailed steve jobs to get his powerbook straigtened out!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    They said they would replace it if you had to take it in two more time in the first 90 days. Did you have to take it in two more times in the first 90 days? That fact isn't clear from your post. If so, they should replace it but if not why should they replace it if they don't have to? I agree that this is a bad situation. If it makes you feel any better this is a rare occurrence with Apple hardware. They are constantly rated the best in quality and customer service. I have owned, or used/maintained for work...

IIci, IIfx, LC, Centris 650, Quadra 700, Quadra 800, Power Macintosh 7100/80, Power Macintosh 8500, Four Power Macintosh G3 Desktop, iMac Rev C, Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White), Power Macintosh G4 (AGP Graphics), Power Macintosh G4 (FireWire 800), and Power Macintosh G5

...and have never had a component failure in the fist four years. The iMac did have the video card go out when it was five years old. That?s 17 Macs. Not a bad run.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    the issue here is that apple is very profitable possibly because they come down very hard on their retail channels.

but as the poster has suggested. your key is investigating local, state and federal legislature that covers you.

that poster is right, bring this up at your apple store and everybody starts to sing a different tune.

it is a fact that when your mac works, it works superbly. when there are issues though, many people find it can be very very frustrating, and there is a challenge of this runaround with the online seller, applestore, appledealer, local apple service center, etc etc.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kkentert

call a lawyer, have him write a letter to MacMall...and bill them...unless they would rather go to trial for fraud...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Have you tried removing the cheap "free" RAM that was very likely installed by PC Mall? That could in fact be a problem, and if so, it's not Apple's responsibility in the slightest.

If, on the other hand, your hard drive has to be replaced a third time, Apple Customer Relations would most likely approve a new replacement computer, if the Geniuses don't do that on their own.

EDIT - I'd recommend dealing directly with Apple by going to an Apple Store.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    nijiniji Posts: 288member

IIci, IIfx, LC, Centris 650, Quadra 700, Quadra 800, Power Macintosh 7100/80, Power Macintosh 8500, Four Power Macintosh G3 Desktop, iMac Rev C, Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White), Power Macintosh G4 (AGP Graphics), Power Macintosh G4 (FireWire 800), and Power Macintosh G5

endquote

if you want to continue yr good fortune, stay away from powerbooks.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

if you want to continue yr good fortune, stay away from powerbooks.

I'm considering getting an iBook when they go Intel. Talkin' about asking for trouble!
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I purchased my first mac, a PowerBook, from my local Apple Store about a month ago. Something was wrong with it and I don't remember exactly what it was but when I called Apple's support number they said the RAM was not responding properly. Basically, the computer would turn on but the screen would display nothing. All I did was bring it in the next day, get it exchanged and that was it. I've had no problems so far. The biggest thing that has happened is that Finder froze on me once.

Yeah, I was dissapointed with my first one not working, but I figured it was just one of those random defective one - and so did they - and got it replaced.

My suggestion is to buy macs from Apple directly. it's much easier.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    So now that it's a year later- I figure I'll update everyone to what happened.

Returned the iBook to PCMall and refused payment (I forget the exact numbers but I bought it for around 1499 about 2 weeks before apple lowered it to 1299, when I went to return it, they would only give me 1299-so I refused payment) I wrote a letter to the Credit company who sided with me. Bought the iBook from the local guy i USUALLY deal with and all has been great ever since. It was no issue with the RAM-I only use crucial RAM, which is what apple uses (but charges a killing for)

Now I'm getting ready for my new G5! WAHOO!

I still say their customer service sucks compared to what it used ot be.

SOOOO excited for the new OS!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhigh View Post

I purchased my first mac, a PowerBook, from my local Apple Store about a month ago. Something was wrong with it and I don't remember exactly what it was but when I called Apple's support number they said the RAM was not responding properly. Basically, the computer would turn on but the screen would display nothing. All I did was bring it in the next day, get it exchanged and that was it. I've had no problems so far. The biggest thing that has happened is that Finder froze on me once.

Yeah, I was dissapointed with my first one not working, but I figured it was just one of those random defective one - and so did they - and got it replaced.

My suggestion is to buy macs from Apple directly. it's much easier.

I refuse to buy from Apple directly-Here's why...

They are absolutely HORRIBLE to 3rd party retailers. They make the margins REDICULOUSLY low so they can't make any money, they release ALL new inventory to APPLE stores a couple months before the little guys-they're just terrible to the people that stood by their products and sold them when Apple was still the little guys in the market. They should support the people that pushed them and made them what they are today (ok-so the iPod and iMac made them what they are today-but you know what I mean) For that reason i buy everything I can from my local guy-I'm sick of corporarations putting local stores out of business intentionally.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkentert View Post

I refuse to buy from Apple directly-Here's why...

They are absolutely HORRIBLE to 3rd party retailers. They make the margins REDICULOUSLY low so they can't make any money, they release ALL new inventory to APPLE stores a couple months before the little guys-they're just terrible to the people that stood by their products and sold them when Apple was still the little guys in the market. They should support the people that pushed them and made them what they are today (ok-so the iPod and iMac made them what they are today-but you know what I mean) For that reason i buy everything I can from my local guy-I'm sick of corporarations putting local stores out of business intentionally.

Apple is mostly horrible to shitty third party retailers. And there are a lot of shitty Apple retailers. Lots of Apple retailer stores that are anything but impressive, hurt the brand, etc.

Keep in mind, Apple makes the biggest profit margin when people buy from Apple directly. Why do you think Apple wants people to buy from them? Plus, Apple gets to control customer service for orders via Apple directly. Apple customer service has always been very highly rated.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkentert View Post

. . .

For that reason i buy everything I can from my local guy-I'm sick of corporarations putting local stores out of business intentionally.

You do realize that most of the computers sold in the world are direct orders, and have been for some time. Local retailers can find other things to push -- and the smart ones already have.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I am not an Apple fan but i guess these comments are a little bit subjective.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    back to this...As for the retailers, they were very suportive and loyal to apple for years. They were selling a product they believed in, backed by a company they believed in. Now, to thank them, apple plays all sorts of games with them. They release newitems, and don't send them to the retailers untl weeks after the apple store has them, they set the prices so the retailers have next to no margins. It's sad- that's why I try not to buy from apple direct.

That said, I just got a refurb 17" macbook pro. It's an amazing machine, but I think it has bad RAM. my applications quit all the time, i get the spinning color globe all the time (many times have to force quit apps or even restart the machine) it's terrible. I'm on hold with apple now. All that said, the new OS 10.5 is very cool...
  • Reply 18 of 18
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    you've had some bad luck. it's awful to see one person get struck with multiple failures. statistically, apple is still the best in terms of reliability, but statistics don't mean shizzle if you've had problems with 2/2 machines. Thanks for the updates. Did the CC dispute work out?