New Airport coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When will be time coming for new aiport base?

is it possible to add 10/100/1000 ethernet on it now that imac have it too? Is it really change something with a cable connection? and what is the future of wi-fi (wich norm after b and g 802). I'm not really in it, hope you can explain me.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keikojaa

When will be time coming for new aiport base?

is it possible to add 10/100/1000 ethernet on it now that imac have it too? Is it really change something with a cable connection? and what is the future of wi-fi (wich norm after b and g 802). I'm not really in it, hope you can explain me.

Thanks!

jan 2006, with wi-max.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

jan 2006, with wi-max.

Doubt it, wi-max is different. It's for WAN not LAN and depends on service providers. We'll get 802.11n first.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    And what is wi-max?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

And what is wi-max?

Basically speaking wireless broadband. So no more DSL or cable, just a free computer/phone/fridge/tv connected to the net at broadband speed without needing a wired router.

And currently it's only an early trial.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    so when can we expect 802.11n?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Basically speaking wireless broadband. So no more DSL or cable, just a free computer/phone/fridge/tv connected to the net at broadband speed without needing a wired router.

And currently it's only an early trial.

Are we all gonna learn in 15 years that we all have brain cancer...all caused from prolonged exposure to a wi-max field?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Anyhoo...Apple did great siding with Intel. We're talkin' 802.11 b/g/n and a chip that'll probably decrypt and decode HD H.264/AVC all inside the Airport router...

...can you say 'streaming HD content'?

My question is...can today's computers encrypt video in real-time? Would it be possible to encrypt MPEG-2 DVD video and send it to the router?

And even if both of these things are possible, if the MPAA isn't comfortable with the idea (even if the data is encrypted before being sent), forget ever seeing video streaming to a TV.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Are we all gonna learn in 15 years that we all have brain cancer...all caused from prolonged exposure to a wi-max field?

We're already bombarded by EMF waves 24-hours a day. Look at all the cell phone, television, radio, WiFi, microwave, etc. waves that are ALWAYS being pulsed through our bodies! Why would WiMax be any worse/different?

I'm a strong believer that we humans now are susceptible to so many cancers because of all the pollution and radio waves that our bodies are constantly exposed to. It can't really be proven, but there's got to be a link.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, the new important thing for wireless is multimedia. As I understand it, the key issue is not only speed, but the high consistency and error correction that would be required to actually watch video. When you browse the internet, it's not such a big deal if there are interrupts when you load a page. But that's unacceptable if you're trying to watch video.

I thought there was another standard, in addition to 'n' that was being considered.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

We're already bombarded by EMF waves 24-hours a day. Look at all the cell phone, television, radio, WiFi, microwave, etc. waves that are ALWAYS being pulsed through our bodies! Why would WiMax be any worse/different?

I'm a strong believer that we humans now are susceptible to so many cancers because of all the pollution and radio waves that our bodies are constantly exposed to. It can't really be proven, but there's got to be a link.

Sorry to get this further into the health issues, but I was looking up something on cancer recently, and although cancer rates have increased over the past 100 years, it's entirely due to lung cancer and smoking, not some other mysterious cause.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

My question is...can today's computers encrypt video in real-time?

Today's computers: Probably not. However, the latest nVidia graphics chip has hardware acceleration for h.264 decoding I think. The next generation of Apple machines will certainly be interesting.

Could they make the next Airport Express slightly smaller, so it's exactly the same size as an Apple power adapter?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would expect an update to AirPort when the intel boxes start shipping. My guess is that the intel CPUs will include on-chip wireless functionality. PPC boxes and base stations may use separate components however.

While note critical now, I'd assume we'd have a revamp by next Summer. By then AirPort Extreme will start looking long in the tooth.

Also, next-gen wireless technology may tie in with iTunes video. We already have AirPort express, but it needs to have video streaming. And when will the full-featured Extreme base station include the A/V functionality?!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    so 2006 will be a wonderful year!!! all new stuff ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 17
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Sorry to get this further into the health issues, but I was looking up something on cancer recently, and although cancer rates have increased over the past 100 years, it's entirely due to lung cancer and smoking, not some other mysterious cause.

Guess you did not look into Chernobyl then.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Quote:

so 2006 will be a wonderful year!!! all new stuff ;-)

I think we will see somethng at Expo. Might as well be the fore front of n just like Apple were for the b/g standards.

Won't make any difference to wait for Intel machines.

In my humble opinion!!

• Reply 15 of 17
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    I'm not putting my money on WiMax. I could get into the technical details more but I think WiMax is looking to be an empty promise from Intel. If it does come to be, it'll probably be offered by cell phone providers to replace 3G and 4G if those networks ever come to be reality in the US (cell phone traffic can easily go over IP, the hardware is in development). Again there are techical hurdles to WiMax ever making it to mass commericialization. For one the spectrum they want to use simply isn't there.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I don't see why there is a need for faster airport at the moment. There is almost no internet that is faster than 54mbps, so why do you need airport thats faster? What CAN be improved is range and creative features like airtunes
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

There is almost no internet that is faster than 54mbps, so why do you need airport thats faster?

Well, there's always networking between servers and individual machines in-house. The faster the wireless, the better the data transfer speed. Useful for business, education, personal use. It's amazing!