Viewing Images

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

Im fairly new to OS X and I want to be able to view images and have a previous/next button (similar to that windows one). I know iPhoto does this but all my images are in random folders and it isnt possible to put them all in there. Is there any way to do this w/ Preview or a small FREE program?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    not sure exactly what you're asking. you have a collection of random images that you'd like to view in a slideshow? you should be able to drag all the folders that contain those images into iphoto and have them imported. then you can go through them as you please.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    You could just use Preview to do that no?

and if you wanna make a slide show of certain images on the spot...just highlight the images...ctrl-click and select "slideshow" from the menu.

I think that is what you were asking...unless I misunderstood
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    GraphicConverter works great for browsing pictures. It even lets to move then, rename them and much more.

http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/graphdownload.htm
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I don't have a mac yet (iMac here on Thurs) but I think he is refering the filmstrip view of a folder. It shows thumbnails on the bottom with <- and -> buttons to look at the pictures with.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    thanks guys what worked was highlight->right click->slide show

i will try that link when i get a second.

i use this mostly when i will import images from my digi cam and then rename them all.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    hey, also check out "a better finder rename". for digital photo buffs it's really a necessity. it makes changing file names into numbered lists a breeze.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    A better finder rename seems awesome.

Heres the link:

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

I have another question if anyone has the answer.

When you go through your apps with cmd-tab is there a way for that apps window to come up? It brings you to the app with the app loaded in the (top bar w/e you call it) but you still have to click it in the dock for the window to show which I find very annoying.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

I have another question if anyone has the answer.

When you go through your apps with cmd-tab is there a way for that apps window to come up? It brings you to the app with the app loaded in the (top bar w/e you call it) but you still have to click it in the dock for the window to show which I find very annoying.

Easy. Instead of minimizing an application's window to the dock (a la Windows' task bar), use cmd-H to hide the application entirely. Then, when you cmd-tab back to that application, the window you previously hid will re-appear automatically.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Voxapps-

Thanks a lot.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The way I'd recommend "viewing images" is to select the images you want to view, and then right-click and choose "View Slideshow". Once it's in fullscreen, you can click on the little Index Sheet icon to zoom out and click a photo, and then zoom in.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    oh, one other utility that i like a lot is launchbar. it seems to bring the app into focus like mail. the fact that i cmd-tab to mail and it doesn't open my mail window is really annoying. launchbar does that and many other things. i was very resistant to launchbar when my brother bought it but now i can't live without it.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm still not understanding why iPhoto has been pushed aside here. It's capable of doing most anything organizing-wise that a user could want, and it keeps all the image files in a more organized fashion. Is there a specific reason why iPhoto *wouldn't* be a good choice here?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Sorry to bring this thread back up but I have a folder full of images and I selected them all and control+clicked them and I don't see an option to "View Slideshow"
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by john.outwater

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I have a folder full of images and I selected them all and control+clicked them and I don't see an option to "View Slideshow"

The option is just called "Slideshow" and it's there only if you have Mac OS 10.4 or greater.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

The option is just called "Slideshow" and it's there only if you have Mac OS 10.4 or greater.

I have the latest version and this is what I see

• Reply 16 of 17
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Ya, something's wrong there because SLIDESHOW should be right below CREATE ARCHIVE OF...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Well does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

P.S. For some reason iChat is no longer making any sounds. I looked in the prefs and they are all set up but when someone logs in or out, or when I am Im'ed or anything like that I don't hear any sound.