wow coolest mac keyboard ever... without a question...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Thanks to the incandescent lightbulb, most people misunderstand "low power." OLEDs are not really low power devices as much as they are efficient LEDs that are easy to manufacture on a plastic substrate. OLEDs are not a reflective display technology, so they ultimately require enough current that running flex-circuits for power distribution into the keys becomes a problem, not to mention the fact that in each key addressing logic needs to be implanted to send data to the active matrix. So it becomes a manufacturing nightmare unless the display technology is inherently low power, allowing the transmission lines to be a non-issue.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

A secondary key display showing keyboard shortcuts will exponentially lead folks to better use of their time. And just about any non-text intensive app aggressively uses keyboard combos for basic functionality, thus a boon to amost any entry level professional, and by extension to the folks hiring those entry level professionals who get more work done faster.

You're assuming that the keyboard is the best place to display this information. There are problems with that assumption.

You have to take your eyes off the screen, and the work.

You also have to move your hand out of the way to see the keyboard.

When you see a function on the screen, and wish to activate it with the keyboard instead of mousing, if a letter is shown on the screen as the shortcut, you can just hit the shortcut as long as your fingers know where that letter is. No fuss. This is a shortcut, and it gets better once you start remembering the letter without looking for it. Even if you can't do it blind (touch-type), every computer user is automagically trained to some degree to recognize and find letters from the keyboard, even if by hunt-and-pecking. Thus, you'll find the shortcut faster than by browsing relatively unknown secondary icons and markings. And you'll strengthen the natural sense of letter location along the way, no matter which app version, app or OS you use. Buttons that only have the shortcut marked on them (for extreme comparison) are a dead end. You might learn them, but come next version or next app, if they change meaning, grouping, location, you are left with nothing.

Besides, the more shortcuts you try to put on the keyboard, the more muddled up it becomes and the harder to find the ones that matter. No problem like that with just letter keys.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Heheh. Woops... sorry for calling you american.

No prob.. I'm always the optimist, I see that almost as a compliment
    Quote:

While this keyboard will probably be extremely expensive, I do see it as helpfull. Whether the utility is worth the price, I guess is something that everyone will have to answer themselves.

However, we shouldn't underestimate the bennefits for people who need to type seldomly used characters or characters that require chording of multiple keys.

Indeed, it might be that this is more useful for people whose native languages contain few "special" symbols and who rarely have to write a foreign name or word.
    Quote:

However, in my college years, I saw many an exchange student struggling with how to type special characters and accented symbols. At work I routinely see designers struggle with doing the same in quark.

Another good point. I did not consider environments where possibly different-layout people use the same computer. More specialized environments like museum kiosks, maybe university computers.. although I never hear about anyone complaining about our keyboards at the uni.
    Quote:

Also, high end AV studios tend to have specialized keyboards hooked to expensive hardware. Keys frequently have multiple labels and it is neccessary to know which mode you're in to know what pressing that key will do.

Also a very small market. It's not that I think this is a bad invention or future product, just that the ZOMG!1!SO1337 hype is stupid when a tiny part of the market can possibly get tangible benefit from this, and the rest are in for the eye-candy but not being honest about it.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I agree that the market won't be big... at least initially.

Once this type of button/display technology comes down in price, nearly every keyboard will give visual feedback. Granted, that will probably take a decade or so.

Imagine...

Holding down the command key and having the buttons change to say what the shortcut does.

Typing stuff into a web page field that restricts you to numbers, or letters, or capital letters... the keyboard would change to remind you of the limitation.

While I'm not a gamer I realize that they spend quite a bit of money. Gamers would love buttons with little graphical labels for changing weapons, voice chat etc.

And best of all... F-Keys!

Come on, wouldn't it be great if they said what they actually did? Otherwise, why not just number all keyboard keys F1 through F109.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

While I'm not a gamer I realize that they spend quite a bit of money. Gamers would love buttons with little graphical labels for changing weapons, voice chat etc.

I'm a gamer, and I think most gamers would not care one iota whether the keyboard shows little graphical labels or not. Most games where you have to use a large amount of buttons, you can't afford to look at the keyboard, no time for that. I'm sure flight sim people would be delighted, but that's what, 0.01% of gamers?

Gamers mostly don't spend a lot. Most of what they spend is on games, and purchasing / upgrading to equipment that will run new games decently. Some will splurge on equipment decidedly better than necessary - they might be graphics maniacs or expect a couple more fps to make them even more competetive. Niche gamers invest in special controllers like driving wheels, flight sim joysticks, arcade sticks. However, I can't see what this keyboard would bring to gaming experience. It would probably be possible to design a game that uses the keyboard as an integral element, but that would only be of interest to people who already have it. I don't see anyone buying it to further their gaming.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

You're assuming that the keyboard is the best place to display this information. There are problems with that assumption.

You have to take your eyes off the screen, and the work.

You also have to move your hand out of the way to see the keyboard.

When you see a function on the screen, and wish to activate it with the keyboard instead of mousing, if a letter is shown on the screen as the shortcut, you can just hit the shortcut as long as your fingers know where that letter is. No fuss. This is a shortcut, and it gets better once you start remembering the letter without looking for it. Even if you can't do it blind (touch-type), every computer user is automagically trained to some degree to recognize and find letters from the keyboard, even if by hunt-and-pecking. Thus, you'll find the shortcut faster than by browsing relatively unknown secondary icons and markings. And you'll strengthen the natural sense of letter location along the way, no matter which app version, app or OS you use. Buttons that only have the shortcut marked on them (for extreme comparison) are a dead end. You might learn them, but come next version or next app, if they change meaning, grouping, location, you are left with nothing.

Besides, the more shortcuts you try to put on the keyboard, the more muddled up it becomes and the harder to find the ones that matter. No problem like that with just letter keys.

For novices and inexperienced users this is not a problem, they already waste too much time looking up key shortcuts if they find then at all. Shortening the cycle by placing them on the keyboard will add significantly to productivity, while simultaneously training their muscle memory when they hit the key. And fixing productivity at the low end reaps great financial reqwards in business.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I'm a gamer, and I think most gamers would not care one iota whether the keyboard shows little graphical labels or not. Most games where you have to use a large amount of buttons, you can't afford to look at the keyboard, no time for that. I'm sure flight sim people would be delighted, but that's what, 0.01% of gamers?

Gamers mostly don't spend a lot. Most of what they spend is on games, and purchasing / upgrading to equipment that will run new games decently. Some will splurge on equipment decidedly better than necessary - they might be graphics maniacs or expect a couple more fps to make them even more competetive. Niche gamers invest in special controllers like driving wheels, flight sim joysticks, arcade sticks. However, I can't see what this keyboard would bring to gaming experience. It would probably be possible to design a game that uses the keyboard as an integral element, but that would only be of interest to people who already have it. I don't see anyone buying it to further their gaming.

You've got to be kidding!

Gamers will absolutely love this type of keyboard... once they are cheap enough. Gamers spend a ton of money, even more money than grossed by box-office sales. And these are the same people who are putting neon lights in their computers. A cool looking keyboard that actually has a use will sell even better.

Accurately and dynamically labeled buttons are most assuredly in everyone's future. They are already finding their way into more and more devices and appliances. Everything from automobile dashboards to refrigerators.

I'm so flabbergast that I'm almost at a loss of words. You're saying nobody will ever want keys that are labeled with what they do?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

For novices and inexperienced users this is not a problem, they already waste too much time looking up key shortcuts if they find then at all. Shortening the cycle by placing them on the keyboard will add significantly to productivity, while simultaneously training their muscle memory when they hit the key. And fixing productivity at the low end reaps great financial reqwards in business.

You either didn't read, or chose not to comment on the part where I explained why I think people will learn letter-labeled shortcuts faster.

The specific measurement I mean is the time it takes till the point where a person is actually using a shortcut to save time over point-and-click, in other words, not looking or paying attention to the keyboard.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

You've got to be kidding!

Gamers will absolutely love this type of keyboard... once they are cheap enough. Gamers spend a ton of money, even more money than grossed by box-office sales. And these are the same people who are putting neon lights in their computers. A cool looking keyboard that actually has a use will sell even better.

How much of an expert on gaming, gamers and gaming equipment retail are you? I personally know literally *tens* of gamers of different types and genres, casual, mildly competetive, national level, and exactly none of these people have a backlit keyboard which is the OLED-equivalent bling of today. Nor do I see said keyboards get high visibility in computer stores, which they would get if they were a fast selling item.

This thing has no use value for a gamer. It comes down to bling, and bling ain't selling.

Your comment about the size of the market is misleading. If the market is huge, it means there is a huge amount of gamers, not that the few ones that are around spend a ton on neon lighting. Nowadays everyone plays. You figure a 30yr old housewife playing WoW from her home invests heavily on neon lighting?
    Quote:

Accurately and dynamically labeled buttons are most assuredly in everyone's future. They are already finding their way into more and more devices and appliances. Everything from automobile dashboards to refrigerators.

Useful for many tasks. And very few ones that are done using a computer keyboard.
    Quote:

I'm so flabbergast that I'm almost at a loss of words. You're saying nobody will ever want keys that are labeled with what they do?

Misread all you want. I said this is of interest to a small group of people. Even if it was out today and cost $50, 80% of the market would not even consider it. Of course there's going to be a price at which you take the technology because it's basically free. I believe I'd pay $10 over regular price to get a backlit keyboard equivalent of my current one. $20 for one of these OLED keyboards just in case someone figures out an interesting use for them - functionally, it would be the exact same for me than a backlit one.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Think about what you are saying, if nobody is ever supposed to look at the keyboard, why do we label the keys at all??? And what good is a backlit keyboard compared to a programmable key keyboard. Completely different potential uses.

I did choose to not comment. Personally I don't like the idea of cluttering up an interface with extraneous information when there is a cleaner solution available. Novices WILL look at the keyboard whether you want them to or not. Harnessing that as a training tool vice a useless waste of time saves $$ by boosting productivity faster.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    zfmtzfmt Posts: 53member
    then dont buy it... you wont get the chicks with the plain white keyboard
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Think about what you are saying, if nobody is ever supposed to look at the keyboard, why do we label the keys at all???

To distinguish them from one another. Accomplished by letter labels.
    Quote:

And what good is a backlit keyboard compared to a programmable key keyboard. Completely different potential uses.

Wonder what you mean. Functionally the backlit keyboard is a subset of this sort of programmable keyboard. Not "completely different" by any means. I mentioned it primarily because it's the equivalent technology of today for eye-candy. Also because the backlit technology (IMO) offers more utility on average (considering all the keyboard market) than the additional functionality present in an OLED keyboard.
    Quote:

I did choose to not comment. Personally I don't like the idea of cluttering up an interface with extraneous information when there is a cleaner solution available. Novices WILL look at the keyboard whether you want them to or not. Harnessing that as a training tool vice a useless waste of time saves $$ by boosting productivity faster.

Sure, novices will look at the keyboard. And I don't believe they are going to learn the shortcut any faster if you replace the letter with a shortcut name. Completely the opposite. The hard part in learning a shortcut is to "remember" the button location and the motor movement required to operate it. Most computer users, not just touch typists, have a good idea where letters are located, whereas there is no pre-existing kinetical memory for "Bookmark this page...". It's fast to associate a shortcut with a letter. Thus, you get ahead by using your pre-existing ingrained skill and think only of punching in the correct letter, instead of trying to find a relatively non-familiar symbol on a cluttered keyboard and attempt to commit that symbol to kinetical memory. As long as you don't know where the correct button is, you're not using shortcuts and not gaining productivity, so you might as well be using menus.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Someday, everyone will be using accurately labeled buttons on their input devices... except Gon.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Just FYI, I really like the idea. I actually use an XKeys keypad at work with some typical Adobe shortcuts built in. It's kind of expensive, but my was free since we use them at field trials and had some leftover.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    sllsslls Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zfmt

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

sweet eh! but does anyonw know if it has the usb ports in the keyboard?

1st Runner up:

Keyboard Video iKeyinfinity Homepage