Yahoo officially rips off iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://music.yahoo.com/artist/single...10011&hasYME=0

I guess they got fed up with trying to come up with something of their own.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ejpejpejpejp Posts: 17member
    They ripped of iTunes by... making an online music store?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    No - look at the player you have to download:

• Reply 3 of 14
    Wow...probably nothing Apple can do about it though.\
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Wow that looks wicked familiar...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Yes, that installer is such a rip-off.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

Yes, that installer is such a rip-off.

come off of it...ALL windows apps use the install shield packege which generates the same standard installer...the user clicks next about 5 times, agrees to the eula and maybe puts in a key...that is is...the company can insert graphics and logos...but that is about all they ever do because end users are usualy tech-stupid and easily thrown off by minor diversions from the standard.

now the program its self is a rip off...but the installer...that is just a vain, amateurish attempt at fud.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I don't see how it's a rip off. Yahoo owns MusicMatch and MusicMatch 7.0 looked exactly like that, except blue and not this pink garbage.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

come off of it...ALL windows apps use the install shield packege which generates the same standard installer...the user clicks next about 5 times, agrees to the eula and maybe puts in a key...that is is...the company can insert graphics and logos...but that is about all they ever do because end users are usualy tech-stupid and easily thrown off by minor diversions from the standard.

now the program its self is a rip off...but the installer...that is just a vain, amateurish attempt at fud.

Dude, I think he was being sarcastic
  • Reply 9 of 14
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    It's amazing how similar they are actually..

Not to mention how many liberties Yahoo is taking.. "The world's best Music Player"? That's a big call. I think my dad's Bang & Olufson is a pretty good music player too.

Jimzip
  • Reply 10 of 14
    This is probably the biggest competition Apple has had in the PC market in a long time. Needless to say, Yahoo is huge and has a habit of, er, absorbing other companies and their ideas. They're also home to LaunchCast (free customizable radio - tell it what artists you don't want to hear) and a very capable (and also free) streaming music video service with a substantial library. The question is, how many users will make the extra click? I doubt few existing iTMS users will - Yahoo will be using a DRM and it won't be FairPlay... I'll give you one guess what file format will be used for song downloads...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

This is probably the biggest competition Apple has had in the PC market in a long time. Needless to say, Yahoo is huge and has a habit of, er, absorbing other companies and their ideas. They're also home to LaunchCast (free customizable radio - tell it what artists you don't want to hear) and a very capable (and also free) streaming music video service with a substantial library. The question is, how many users will make the extra click? I doubt few existing iTMS users will - Yahoo will be using a DRM and it won't be FairPlay... I'll give you one guess what file format will be used for song downloads...

WMA..

Yeah I like the MusicMatch site a heck of a lot better than Yahoo music..

I really think there are too many internet music stores now.. iTunes is the only one that's been done properly in my mind.

Integrated, elegant, simple, and constantly being improved. That's what they should all be like..

Jimzip
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I think I'm the only one that doesn't see it, but Yahoo Music and iTunes don't really look anything alike in my opinion. Okay, the album info is up top and the songs are below if, but come on.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ejpejp

I think I'm the only one that doesn't see it, but Yahoo Music and iTunes don't really look anything alike in my opinion. Okay, the album info is up top and the songs are below if, but come on.

I agree that most of the similarities are superficial. They look the same in the way that a Bentley looks the same as a Ford: 4 wheels (round, no less), windshield, doors, steering wheel...

The MusicNow music store format didn't catch on because it isn't intuitive. The iTMS format caught on because it is. Just like 4 wheels, an engine at the front, trunk at the back, windshields, doors and steering wheels caught on. Just like the menu system Creative recently patented caught on, now that I come to think of it...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

I agree that most of the similarities are superficial. They look the same in the way that a Bentley looks the same as a Ford: 4 wheels (round, no less), windshield, doors, steering wheel...

The MusicNow music store format didn't catch on because it isn't intuitive. The iTMS format caught on because it is. Just like 4 wheels, an engine at the front, trunk at the back, windshields, doors and steering wheels caught on. Just like the menu system Creative recently patented caught on, now that I come to think of it...

Nice analogy.

Jimzip