Apple secures supply of G4 chips through 2008

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer said on Friday it has entered into a purchase agreement with Freescale Semiconductor that will secure it a source of PowerPC G4 microprocessors through the end of 2008.

Under the terms of the agreement, signed Aug. 22, Freescale is obligated to supply its microprocessors for orders placed by Apple through Dec. 31, 2008.

However, Apple is "under no obligation to purchase Freescale microprocessors other than work in progress that was in place at the time the agreement was executed," the company said in a regulatory filing.

Apple is expected to transition its entire Macintosh product line to Intel-based chips by 2007, but would need a source of PowerPC G4 chips for repairs.

Through its Apple Care extended warranty service, the company sells 3-year coverage plans that run well into 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Wow, news like this really nails home the fact that Apple is ditching the PPC once and for all! *tear*
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Maybe they could be developing that ihome thingy we heard so much about a year ago they can use the cheaper g4 chips for it. Tivo doesnt support the macintosh platform anymore. I think the home media option would be another cash cow like the ipod is if apple plays there cards right like they did with the ipod.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    to me, this kind of confirms the speculation that the high-end computers will be updated last. yeah, everyone basically accepts that as fact now, but technically nothing has been "officially confirmed." but with replacement parts via the 3-year applecare plan, they can't have new G4 chips for very long, or else they won't have replacements. i dunno if that makes sense... but basically they're not gonna introduce a new G4 right before the contract expires. this makes it sound like most of the G4's will be gone much sooner than later. at least in my opinion
  • Reply 4 of 46
    but even the high end computers dont use g4 chips so i dont see what u are trying to say.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by hassanpr

but even the high end computers dont use g4 chips so i dont see what u are trying to say.

What do you consider the powerbook to be?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris000001

What do you consider the powerbook to be?

High end in name only.

The real question is how long is the contract with IBM?
  • Reply 7 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, all this really says is that Freescale is committed to filling any orders Apple *MIGHT* make through Dec 31 2008. Apple might not make a single order past say, Dec 31 of 2005. This just provides them with a proper route for obtaining chips for repairs, etc, for a couple of years, is my guess, and doesn't reflect any new products coming down the pipe. I could be wrong, but... just a hunch.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    ok but from what ive read i thought they were converting the powerbook over first. Thats probably the main reason y apple decided to switch because IBM couldnt produce a small enough chip for the powerbook so it seems the powerbook ibook and macmini should be the first to receive the new chips.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:

is my guess, and doesn't reflect any new products coming down the pipe. I could be wrong, but... just a hunch.

Jobs said they have great new powerpc product still coming down the pipe line.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Jobs/Apple/Intel/Motorola all say lots of stuff that are totally open to interpretation... best bet is to sit tight and watch.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I think that sound I am hearing is everyone hitting the floor laughing...

• Reply 12 of 46
    If this contract with Freescale would be to support the Applecare folks, then the G4 processor doesn't have much time left on the mac. They are going to have to phase it out completely by the first part of next year. I guess that means that the laptops and mini are going to be the first ones to mac the switch. That timing would be perfect for a MWSF announcement of new powerbooks and minis (with availability a month later). Then, the ibook would be transitioned a couple months later to be ready before the educational and back-to-school buying of april/may through september. Anyway, just a thought.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by wymer100

...I guess that means that the laptops and mini are going to be the first ones to mac the switch. That timing would be perfect for a MWSF announcement of new powerbooks and minis (with availability a month later)...

From your mouth to Gods ears
  • Reply 14 of 46
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I think this isn't just for warranty work, but also a great safety valve, in case Apple needs to keep selling new G4 models through 2008 and beyond.

WWDC 2008 - S. Jobs:

"As you all know, IBM recently stopped making chips for Apple and Sony, to focus solely on the X-Box 360-ME. With Microsoft having purchased Intel and having killed AMD by refusing to sell Windows for AMD computers, I know a lot of you were afraid the Mac might be dead. I have good news today: Freescale has agreed to continue supplying G4 chips, and we will hit 2 GHz by this time next year! I present to you the NEW PowerMac G4!"
  • Reply 15 of 46
    Quote:

We already had that... the new iBooks
  • Reply 16 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm bringing over a post from another thread here so that I won't have to do it over. some more info about this deal

"Well, well, well!

To put a fly in the ointment, as they say, I recieved this page in an e-mail from my Forbes account. It's under shares to dominate in trading Monday. When I clicked on the link, this is what showed up.

Interesting dates, would you say?

http://www.forbes.com/2005/08/26/ap...yeonstocks.html

Now that I went to 'insiders front page I see they have some info about it there as well.

I would have caught that if I wasn't struggling all night long to install 10.4 on this very machine, the last holdout here."
  • Reply 17 of 46
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Linky no worky...
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I think this isn't just for warranty work, but also a great safety valve, in case Apple needs to keep selling new G4 models through 2008 and beyond.

WWDC 2008 - S. Jobs:

"As you all know, IBM recently stopped making chips for Apple and Sony, to focus solely on the X-Box 360-ME. With Microsoft having purchased Intel and having killed AMD by refusing to sell Windows for AMD computers, I know a lot of you were afraid the Mac might be dead. I have good news today: Freescale has agreed to continue supplying G4 chips, and we will hit 2 GHz by this time next year! I present to you the NEW PowerMac G4!"

HA that would be hilarious!!
  • Reply 19 of 46
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I guess this means more years of agonizing,slow,non advancing, stagnated, MotoScale. excuse me while i scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 46
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

I guess this means more years of agonizing,slow,non advancing, stagnated, MotoScale. excuse me while i scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are G4's bad for iBooks and minis? I think both are perfectly alright on processor side. (Don't get me started about the graphics and screens though.)