New Newton mistaken as Tablet? Any Thoughts?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone think there's a chance that a new newton product is in the works & is being mistaken as a new apple product (the yet unseen tablet)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    The handheld PC (with the nifty slide-out mini keyboard) was part of the Intel line-up of product classes...
  • Reply 2 of 57
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    nop
  • Reply 3 of 57
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slls

Does anyone think there's a chance that a new newton product is in the works & is being mistaken as a new apple product (the yet unseen tablet)?

Absolutely not.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    wooferwoofer Posts: 25member
    Quote:

I'd like to see Apple make a product similar to the OQO Model 01. I'm in the market for a new PDA/computer.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Your optimism does you credit. The Apple Newton is over.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 57
    I used to think logically and say things like:

Apple will never go intel and Apple will never make a multi-button mouse.

I even said that the G5 will hit 3GHz by this time last year.

So, let me say something different for a change. The new newton is right around the corner. The iwalk and ihome will follow.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    HALLELUYAH!!
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I used to think logically and say things like:

Apple will never go intel and Apple will never make a multi-button mouse.

I even said that the G5 will hit 3GHz by this time last year.

So, let me say something different for a change. The new newton is right around the corner. The iwalk and ihome will follow.

Your optimism does you credit...

V/R,

Aries 1b
  • Reply 9 of 57
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

The handheld PC (with the nifty slide-out mini keyboard) was part of the Intel line-up of product classes...

Exactly. With the Intel transition, Apple hardware will be just like everyone else's; the plus side is, Apple will not have to design everything, so they can have a much broader project line. With the exception of the Xscale PDA, I suspect anything Intel supports will be available as an Apple product.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    sllsslls Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Ok then what about an Apple (pvp, pmp or pmc) product ~ something similar to:

1. Palmone Lifedrive

2. Archos AV 700

3. Mobinote DP7010
  • Reply 11 of 57
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I would be very surprised if Apple returned to the handheld PDA market at this point.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Much as Palm is far from dead, Microsoft has turned their guns to the PDA market, and has something like 55% market share at the moment. So Apple would not be wise to enter into such a competitive market at the moment - they would be fighting a losing battle.

At the moment, Apple is better off to define the Tablet computer market.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Much as Palm is far from dead, Microsoft has turned their guns to the PDA market, and has something like 55% market share at the moment. So Apple would not be wise to enter into such a competitive market at the moment - they would be fighting a losing battle.

At the moment, Apple is better off to define the Tablet computer market.

Microsoft has 55% of a declining market. You must understand that the Redmond Monopoly is not in the PDA market; it is in the PDA software market. The losses are being suffered by hardware developers.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Microsoft has 55% of a declining market. You must understand that the Redmond Monopoly is not in the PDA market; it is in the PDA software market. The losses are being suffered by hardware developers.

exactly my thought. software runs on a variety of hardware, and lives across generations. vis OS X migrating to intel. the PDA manufacturers are the ones at greatest risk.

that said, i don't see apple trying to ad an X-esque OS to the fray. i agree with pyriX: "Apple is better off to define the Tablet computer market."
  • Reply 15 of 57
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

It is not a declining market by any means. The problem is that there used to be 2 separate markets: Phones and PDAs and they are still tracked that way. Most PDAs now have phone functionality built in, yet run the same software as pure PDAs. So what is a Treo? A Samsung i730? A Phone or a PDA? They get counted as phones most of the time, so it looks like the PDA market is shrinking, but in actuallity it is just converging.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    I agree, would love to see a Tablet debut at Paris in a few weeks, would definitely make a buzz and keep apple afloat during these rough transition times... Who know...
  • Reply 17 of 57
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Friggin tablets have nowhere near the money making potential as phones/PDAs.

Apple should and could make an iPhone. Yes it would be a PDA.

However, is now the time? Perhaps not quite. This Intel thing surely factors in. That and how well the iTunes/Moto phone thing turns out. I think we can't speculate until we see what happens with that, what kind of thingie Steve brings out on stage.

Apple invented the PDA and the digital camera. They could re-invent them, and the phone while they are at it. They could and should be a Sony and branch out in to other markets, like they did with iPod.

Everything is converging. Of course, I'm talking 5, 10, 25, 50 years down the road, but it is time to start laying foundations.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why can't apple be developing a smartphone such as a new iphone-newton-itunes phone. hey i'd get it. have with an intel chip running moble osX. people chase phone features then choose the carrier (ok some chase "free" yuchy phones) but you pay for it with a long term contract. apple makes money from ipods, it should brand it's own, better yet it's own carrier service i.e. what virgin , tracphone, etc. but look at the form factor....which is best now and where is the future?? can you imagine apple putting it's elegant simple solutions to the nightmare typical phone interface??? can you imagine that apple make a flash based ipod with BT and phone features and voice recognition...is it that hard to make an ipod mini into a gsm, cdma phone????
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Here's an additional requirement for an Apple Tablet/PDA/iPhone.

But it doesn't have iTunes...

Treo 650: The Leading Edge of Handheld Computing R/Evolution.

Yours in Envy,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 20 of 57
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    now compare the treo 650 to blackberry (the newest one) sleek thin light what capabilities does the treo have over the blackberry( i think it has less resolution screen) i wish the treo was thinner had a slide out keyboard longer screen that could be portrait or landscape view. built in wifi, BT

apple could do this and do it well i'd just like to see an apple product (s) in my pocket rather than moto or nokia.

i wonder what plans both blackberry and palm have up their sleeves