Apple job listings provide product hints

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A series of recent job listings by Apple Computer provide a glimpse into the company's future product plans and strategies.

3D-based iApp?

Apple may be working on a new consumer oriented application that sports 3D graphics capabilities. According to a job posting, the company is seeking "awesome software engineers to build the next generation of Mac applications." Apple says applicants are applying for a seat in the company's Applications Group, which is responsible for such industry-leading software as iTunes, iPhoto, and Keynote. Requirements include prior Graphics/3D development experience and "a passion for user interface and pride in attention to detail."

Apple to expand iCal integration

Apple's Mac OS X Internet Technologies department is looking for an experienced engineer to join its iCal team. "iCal is a calendar and scheduling tool for Mac OS X that is one of the most used applications in OS X, and we have great plans for it's future," reads a company job posting. "The iCal product offers a chance to work on user interface components, client-server integration, and calendar sharing. Additionally, iCal integrates with Spotlight, Sync, and offers Apple Script. We are looking for someone eager to take iCal to the next level and increase it's integration with other applications in Mac OS X."

More animation coming to Aqua

Future versions of Apple's Mac OS X Aqua interface will likely gain additional dynamic interface and animation effects, as evidenced by this job posting from the company's Mac OS X User Interface Group. Some of the ensuing job responsibilities will include: "conceiving, developing and prototyping new interactions for various components of Mac OS X, working with engineering and marketing to finalize designs, documenting solutions, and monitoring their implementation."

Improved iPod support in Xcode

The iPod and Special Projects Group is looking for a Sr. Hardware Engineer for iPod Accessories who has experience with system integration, digital logic, SDRAM, Flash, ASIC, processor selection, ATAPI, various communication protocols, display types and analog integration. Meanwhile, the Xcode team is looking for a motivated and talented engineer to improve the support for iPod development within the Xcode tool-chain.

Expanded integration of Mail and Address Book

The next major release of Mac OS X, dubbed Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, will expand integration of Mail.app and Address Book to other parts of the Mac OS operating systme. Apple's Mac OS X Internet Technologies department is currently looking for new Mail.app quality assurance engineers and someone to manage them. "Do you want to work on an application that is used by millions of people? We are working on the next release of Mail," the company wrote in a job listing. "Mail and Address Book are two of the most heavily used applications on OS X, and we have plans to expand their functionality and provide tighter integration with the rest of the system."

Unique antenna systems for Intel Macs

With its switch to Intel processors, Apple will be forced to redesign the enclosures for its entire Macintosh product line. The company is looking for a Sr. Antenna/RF Engineer to be responsible for defining and designing unique antenna systems for integration in every Apple product." He/she will work in a technology group focusing on wireless communications products and will be responsible for all antenna designs in Apple products.

Some other noteworthy Apple job postings seek engineers to help work on Digital Rights Management Software, new wireless input devices, improved Ajax support in Mac OS X Server, optimization of video codecs on the Intel platform, and a new version of VoiceOver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    3D-based iApp?

hmmm.... I dont know. another Pro app?

Maybe so sort of sync with a preperial... like a palm pilot device made by apple???

Could also be more abstract desktops.

:/

Speeks for itself

hmmm Intel integrated??? great
  • Reply 2 of 22
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A nice roundup of what might be coming!

And a nice counterpoint to all the people who say Apple had to cancel a lot of Mac R&D in order to sell iPods
  • Reply 3 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The problem with job listings is that they may not mean anything.

In my own business's we put job listing out for two reasons.

1. we were adding or expanding an area and needed additional personnel.

2. People left our employ, and we needed to replace them.

Since we have no idea which of these reasons is the one, we shouldn't assume anything from the listings.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

3D-based iApp?

hmmm.... I dont know. another Pro app?

Maybe so sort of sync with a preperial... like a palm pilot device made by apple???

Could also be more abstract desktops.

:/

Speeks for itself

hmmm Intel integrated??? great

1. I'd say that it's either a part of Shake with further 3D compositing, or something as mundane as Keynote transitions. The 3D market is pretty much owned at this point.

2. I'd think "between Macs as part of iSync". But that is a possibility.

3. Yeah, Apple could very well start reinventing the concepts of a windowing environment and desktop, but I think this is just more eye-candy to compete with Long-, er, Vista.

4. This is so that developers can make their apps integrate with the iPod more easily as a standard part of the Xcode environment.

5. That it does. I'm seeing an option of bringing up a calendar in Mail, clicking on a day, and seeing all Mail messages sent and recieved that day.

6. This confuses me why they'd need new people to do this when they've changed antenna designs many times before. (Sides of the screen on the aluminum Powerbooks; dongle on the back of the Powermac G5)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    "We need a senior engineer to design a few antennas for our rather limited hardware suite"

Hmm. Doesn´t sound right somehow.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    NEWS FLASH!: Apple needs employees to improve its products!

Please.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Welcome Home, Newton.

I guess the calendaring ad this late in the game means the Hula Server integration into OS X Server won't make it before X.5.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

NEWS FLASH!: Apple needs employees to improve its products!

Please.

I could imagine (from browsing on this forum and reading what people suggest - and then them stating that they will go to apple feedback) that Apple is one of the better companies that listens to their customers for product ideas. I was confused with the though. Maybe I read you wrong...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    eh, i don't feel this really shed any new light on anything, since every new application seems to be aimed for "improved features and integration with other components of the system." well, yeah. like they're going to say "hey, we'd like to find someone who can break any ties between iCal and address book. any takers?"
  • Reply 10 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My point exactly. Companies are going to improve and add to their products. The job listings above don't really tell me any specifics. What here is news?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

My point exactly. Companies are going to improve and add to their products. The job listings above don't really tell me any specifics. What here is news?

As I also said: Not much!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Hmmm... Look at this:

Apple Photo Pro

http://thinksecret.com/news/0508adobe.html

Maybe its the 3d iApp... hmmm. I dunno.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I could imagine (from browsing on this forum and reading what people suggest - and then them stating that they will go to apple feedback) that Apple is one of the better companies that listens to their customers for product ideas. I was confused with the though. Maybe I read you wrong...

No, they accept feedback, but I really can't say they listen to feedback. Unless, of course, if they don't get feedback that something rulez, they assume they must make it better.

Why else do they keep changing stuff that just works. "Hey, no one says the toolbar rocks in system preferences, so let's get rid of it. No one apparently uses it. We'll use sherlock, because people want to type to find stuff, not have often used items in easy to reach places".

Or "Hey, let's move around the system preferences again so users have to go hunting for their preferences again!"

Or "Hey, you know what would be a great idea? Rather than having the confusion of putting syncing capabilities to .Mac, iPods, and other devices built into iSync, we should make it easier by putting the abilities to sync to .Mac in the .Mac preference pane, syncing to the iPod of course belongs in iTunes, and then other devices go in iSync. This way, if they want to sync to their phone, iPod, and .Mac, they'll have to go to three places rather than just one!"

Or "Hey, we could fix all the stupid idiosyncracies with the finder, like the fact that 'Calculate all sizes' never holds in the view preferences, or the inability to set up a specific finder window as a 'default' window appearance (click on "All windows" in view preferences, and the columns all resize to what Apple wants them to be, but you can't say "No, use the sizes I just made for all windows!").

Or "Hey, people love resizing columns, but they want to make it more fun. So let's no longer show the 'column-resize' mouse icon when you put your mouse on the resize bars in the list headers. Instead, it'll be fun watching users guessing they've got the mouse in the right position, and if they don't they start moving the columns instead! Hillarity ensues!".

Or "Hey, I know, let's do a completely different interface for Mail.app then any other program we have. That'll make it look 'different' and stand out!"

Need I go on. These guys are like some people I work with. Everytime they go and touch something, they just can't fix a problem, they have to change it to make it 'better'.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

No, they accept feedback, but I really can't say they listen to feedback. Unless, of course, if they don't get feedback that something rulez, they assume they must make it better.

Why else do they keep changing stuff that just works. "Hey, no one says the toolbar rocks in system preferences, so let's get rid of it. No one apparently uses it. We'll use sherlock, because people want to type to find stuff, not have often used items in easy to reach places".

Or "Hey, let's move around the system preferences again so users have to go hunting for their preferences again!"

Or "Hey, you know what would be a great idea? Rather than having the confusion of putting syncing capabilities to .Mac, iPods, and other devices built into iSync, we should make it easier by putting the abilities to sync to .Mac in the .Mac preference pane, syncing to the iPod of course belongs in iTunes, and then other devices go in iSync. This way, if they want to sync to their phone, iPod, and .Mac, they'll have to go to three places rather than just one!"

Or "Hey, we could fix all the stupid idiosyncracies with the finder, like the fact that 'Calculate all sizes' never holds in the view preferences, or the inability to set up a specific finder window as a 'default' window appearance (click on "All windows" in view preferences, and the columns all resize to what Apple wants them to be, but you can't say "No, use the sizes I just made for all windows!").

Or "Hey, people love resizing columns, but they want to make it more fun. So let's no longer show the 'column-resize' mouse icon when you put your mouse on the resize bars in the list headers. Instead, it'll be fun watching users guessing they've got the mouse in the right position, and if they don't they start moving the columns instead! Hillarity ensues!".

Or "Hey, I know, let's do a completely different interface for Mail.app then any other program we have. That'll make it look 'different' and stand out!"

Need I go on. These guys are like some people I work with. Everytime they go and touch something, they just can't fix a problem, they have to change it to make it 'better'.

It's true. Certainly the finder is one of Apple's biggest problem areas. It seems as though they don't know where they are going. It's try this, or try that. Consistancy is sometimes thrown out the, er, window.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    CAD/CAM
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

CAD/CAM

hellsno. if any app needs 3D, it's motion. They need to get the 3D tools up to par with (or well beyond) AfterEffects.

-michael
  • Reply 17 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If anyone ever thought Apple listened to their customers just think about this: "Gaps between songs in iTunes"
  • Reply 18 of 22
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

A series of recent job listings by Apple Computer provide a glimpse into the company's future product plans and strategies.

3D-based iApp?

Apple may be working on a new consumer oriented application that sports 3D graphics capabilities. According to a job posting, the company is seeking "awesome software engineers to build the next generation of Mac applications." Apple says applicants are applying for a seat in the company's Applications Group, which is responsible for such industry-leading software as iTunes, iPhoto, and Keynote. Requirements include prior Graphics/3D development experience and "a passion for user interface and pride in attention to detail."

[/c]

Shake for the rest of us...iShake? Shake express?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michael

hellsno. if any app needs 3D, it's motion. They need to get the 3D tools up to par with (or well beyond) AfterEffects.

-michael

They need to get into the Engineering Markets. They already have a strong foothold into the AfterEffects markets.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

They need to get into the Engineering Markets. They already have a strong foothold into the AfterEffects markets.

They're also slowly meandering back into the architectural business's. That's an are in which they used to be very strong.

http://www.architosh.com/