Safari updates improve website compatibility

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Monday afternoon updated its Safari Web browsers for both Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Safari 1.3.1) Panther and Mac OS X 10.4.2 Tiger (Safari 2.0.1). The new version improves website compatibility, application stability and support for 3rd party web applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I wonder if this will help improve stability with myspace.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    I've found Safari to be quite unstable on my G5 iMac lately. It was crashing lots.

However on my little old G3 iBook running Tiger as well, it has been rock solid (looking at the same websites as on the iMac even).

Hopefully, this helps things with the iMac...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I am hoping for better eBay (not that i really ever buy from eBay)
  • Reply 4 of 19
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    This version doesn't come close to passing Acid2, so it's not current as of the last couple months of CVS checkins. Wonder when we'll get a semi-current Safari build.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    wow safari 2.0.1 is ridiculous. certain sites had their flaws before, but now safari just crashes all together. bad update here.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    is it teh snappier(tm) ?? well, someone always has to ask this for every update release
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rrabu

I've found Safari to be quite unstable on my G5 iMac lately. It was crashing lots.

However on my little old G3 iBook running Tiger as well, it has been rock solid (looking at the same websites as on the iMac even).

Can you consistently reproduce any of the Safari crashes on your iMac or do they just happen randomly?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    No problem with "image of doom".

Safari is very stable and a bit snappier with the new update. 10.3.9
  • Reply 9 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Does it fix the memory leaks?

If I open safari, surf to say, slashdot, then close the window (but leave the app open for fast launch of a browser) it says that it is taking 30 megs, 3 hrs later, with no browser use, it takes well over 80 mb...restarting the browser every hour or so is annoying.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If I open safari, surf to say, slashdot, then close the window (but leave the app open for fast launch of a browser) it says that it is taking 30 megs, 3 hrs later, with no browser use, it takes well over 80 mb...restarting the browser every hour or so is annoying.

my safari's on 80mb.. real, 160 virtual. is that a problem

edit: i'll restart safari and see how it goes
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

hey dude, it's been about an hour, browsed around a few sites more after leaving the browser alone for 1 hour, now it is at only 32mb real, 140mb virtual.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Just tried to access my bank account with 2.0.1 safari and it just crashes. never did before
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Wow, this is the first update in a long time I wish I hadn't have applied. On both my Powermac and iBook this has made Safari slow and unstable, even after repairing permissions and running the maintenance scripts.

I wonder what is going on? I'm on 10.4.2
  • Reply 14 of 19
    1.3.1 seems to work a bit snappier. Other wise no problems here.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    ummm.... 1.3.1 what? i thought safari is now 2.0.1 or something (build 412.5?) are you talking about safari on panther? sorry, we're soooo Tiger centric here
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I am hoping for better eBay (not that i really ever buy from eBay)

After the Safari update mine crashes whenever I hit the back button a couple times when on Ebay.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    My iMac G5 running 10.3.9 crashed on restart after downloading this update to safari. I was not able to boot up. I could not do a archive and install and ended up having to erase my HD and reinstalling everything. Luckily I had a 2 week old backup but it was still a major pain in the ____. This just 1 week after I had to have my logic board replaced. I'm beginning to wonder about this switching thing.....

buzz
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Sorry to hear about your trouble, buzz. If your system is "randomly" crashing it may still have a hardware problem (e.g. flakey RAM, logic board, power supply).

It took two weeks, two logic boards, and a power supply to fix my iMac G5 (rev. B) when it was recently at the Apple Store for repair.