still, no new iMac commercial

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
as we all know, the new iMac was announced almost a month ago. i understood why they didn't originally have a commercial for it because they weren't yet available. but now.. the top end is, the middle will be available very soon.. why no commercial?

i see two possibilities

1) they're waiting until all options are available (late March)

2) the option i fear.. demand is outweighing supply. meaning, they don't want more people to know about it because they can't come up with enough of them (possibly because of lcd shortages).

i mention this because i want Apple to grow.. more marketshare means more developer support.. (it also means my shares in Apple will become more valuable, but that's neither here nor there. ) i think their new iMac can definitely help market share, but not if no one knows about it.. and certainly not if they can't come up with a large enough supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Apple has run print ads in Newsweek, Time, Entertainment Weekly and Business Week (12 page insert). TV Ads will probably start in late February or early March. There is no rush. Ad campaigns need to run at the proper time. It isn't the proper time as yet. Relax and be patient. They know what they're doing.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Why have a big ad campaign now, when they aren't even in stores yet?

All in due time...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Well, I could see a rather cool superbowl commercial. I don't expect any before that, though. Oh, wait . . . Superbowl's this Sunday isn't it? Well, I guess there isn't much time before that - oh well.

If they do it right, it could make a very cool superbowl commercial, hopefully ranking up there with 1984.

~bauman
  • Reply 4 of 9
    you're right.. i am just being impatient. in truth, i really just want to see more video of it spinning around, because i can't afford one of my own. :cool:

but i do like the idea of a big superbowl thing..

we shall see
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Apple doesn't like the idea of a "Superbowl thing' I'm sorry to say. They are not advertising on the pregame or game broadcast.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Apple doesn't like the idea of a "Superbowl thing' I'm sorry to say. They are not advertising on the pregame or game broadcast.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How do you know theyre not advertising during the pregame?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>Why have a big ad campaign now, when they aren't even in stores yet?

All in due time...</strong><hr></blockquote>

perhaps this way ALOT of heads will turn and alot of people, even if they don't get one will at least recognize the macintosh as a valid platform again. also if someone sees the ad and says "i want one" they goto their local apple store and say "wheres hte new iMac"

but in going there they see all of apples other awesome products and say "damn, I want this all" and then they leave a solid mac user

with 150,000 units already sold, I think the iMac is off to a damn good start(compared to 200,000 something iMac sales from the WHOLE previous year)

here's hoping aapl raises like it did 3 years ago(lets hit 160!)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>

perhaps this way ALOT of heads will turn and alot of people, even if they don't get one will at least recognize the macintosh as a valid platform again. also if someone sees the ad and says "i want one" they goto their local apple store and say "wheres hte new iMac"

but in going there they see all of apples other awesome products and say "damn, I want this all" and then they leave a solid mac user

with 150,000 units already sold, I think the iMac is off to a damn good start(compared to 200,000 something iMac sales from the WHOLE previous year)

here's hoping aapl raises like it did 3 years ago(lets hit 160!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not 200,000 in the previous ear, the previous quarter. And I believe the number was more in line with 250,000
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I don't think Apple wants to roll out cool new commercials for the iMac, and then have people find out there is a 3-5 week wait for them.

Be patient, give it a month or so, and I'm sure we'll see this great new iMac commercial.

Seems the most important virtue of being a Mac user these days is patience. (Come on, iMac!)