Anyone Use the .Mac 2.0 SDK Yet?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This was supposed to be out July 1st.

Has there been progress on this front? Is it out? Has anyone looked at it? Does it look exciting and should I start to become a developer based on this new kit? Is Backup 3.0 based on the new .Mac 2.0 SDK features? Will Backup 3.0 be out soon?

What would really be cool is if someone could design some sort of cross-platform version of a text editor like SubEthaEdit with this new SDK. Edit content across the net from either a PC or a Mac ? content being held on the initiators .Mac iDisk for others to access. Will the new SDK allow for this kind of action (even allowing people to join in on this "editing session" without subscribing to .Mac)?

On a side note, why does it take so long to load:

http://www.mac.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Are people not curious about this? I mean jeez, as I understand it, this SDK holds the ability to send data around the net using a some sort of new messaging protocol built on top of .mac. Has anyone not heard of this?

This could be the enabler for some new communications device from Apple and no one is interested?

In addition, I just want to go on record as saying that I believe Apple will be releasing new hardware in 5 days time.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    OK, judging by the responses here I know there is a great deal of interest.

Well... OK, I find it interesting anyway and the release of the .mac SDK can only serve to improve the services offered by Apple and their .mac platform.

Actually, we may not need to wait for the SDK to have .mac improved. I have a sneaky suspicion improvements from Apple will arrive before we see any outside developments using the distributed SDK.

Here is what I have found. The main benefit that this new iteration of .mac will provide is a collaborative environment giving subscribers and also general users/viewers (note that you do not have to have a .mac account to partake) publish and subscribe capabilities. Data transfer can be synchronous or asynchronous.

Now, I'm no genious but I do know that asynchronous transfer modes are the basis of cellular networks and Apple has now incorporated this into the .mac infrastructure. THIS is huge. Any inferences you may pick up on here are rightly justified in my opinion.

This is all I have been able to find out at this point.

:end of journal entry dated July 16, 2005: \
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I think what you have found is there aren't that many developers around here.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I think what you have found is there aren't that many developers around here.

I see now that they have just released the completed .mac SDK v2.0. You probably won't hear anymore from me on this because I am heading over to the ADC site to sign up. I think this could really provide me some needed functionality.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm interested and curious, I just haven't had the time to play with this yet.

Plus, I'm a bit cautious. I use my .mac syncing features on my production systems, and the last thing I want is all my .mac data being lost due to some bug in the SDK.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I just downloaded the SDK - looks quite interesting, a nice transaction layer for transmitting data not only to the .mac service, but also to any other machine *through* the .mac servers. (I wonder if that can be overridden, say for an internal corporate system?) This could definitely be interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    It would be nice if Apple would release a corporate version of .Mac that would allow a company to build an internal .Mac infrastructure.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Looks like the first developer to release software using the new SDK will be Apple. iChat AV will be including document sharing capabilities allowing users to edit the document simultaneously. Bastards beat me to it. I wish I knew what I was doing here with this SDK because I am having trouble putting together a solution. I suppose it would help if I actually had a working .mac infrastruture that would support what it is I'm writing. As it stands now, my guess is that only Apple has access to this.

Well, until next week anyway. And at that point, they will probably have released their new version of iChat.

I can't wait to see what they are offering .mac users as far as specialized widgets go. I am assuming they will be taking advantage of this new SDK as well.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

iChat AV will be including document sharing capabilities allowing users to edit the document simultaneously.

Hmmm... do they just have the document, ala SubEthaEdit, or integrate video as well, ala Facetop?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I don't know much about Facetop but that is a front end client-based display solution I believe.

I think Apple's iChat solution will be offering some sort of SubEthaEdit type thing. I haven't seen it. It is just what I am told. I think AppleInsider here just had a report on it a few hours ago. Maybe check that.

Also wanted to note that I will be exercizing my theory on Apple's hardware releases again. I believe we will soon see new hardware from Apple (not Motorola). I make this prediction based on Apple's software update timing.

See this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=56113

FileMaker Pro 8, Safari updates and now apparently dot mac version 3 updates as evidenced by the fact that I haven't been able to access it all morning.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

I don't know much about Facetop

I do, I wrote it.

Quote:

but that is a front end client-based display solution I believe.

Nope. It's a shared-document/vidconf solution that layers the two so that the two users can point at the document directly, and optionally control the mouse cursor with their finger in the video image.

We wanted to integrate it with iChat to leverage their infrastructure and codecs, but never had the time or grant money to throw at another student.

Quote:

I think Apple's iChat solution will be offering some sort of SubEthaEdit type thing. I haven't seen it. It is just what I am told. I think AppleInsider here just had a report on it a few hours ago. Maybe check that.

Cool beans, thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    No Way!

That's pretty sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Way!

Thanks, we kind of like it too.