Motorola to hold iTunes phone after-party at Webster Hall

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Exclusive -- Motorola has sent invitations to analysts and members of the media, inviting them to an "evening of fun" in New York City on Sept 7th, the same day the company is expected to unveil its ROKR iTunes phones alongside Apple Computer.

"The device formerly known as the cell phone is ready for its next act," Motorola said in the digital invites. "Please join us for an evening of fun, music and evolution."

AppleInsider last week reported that Motorola would hold an after-party for the iTunes phone launch on Sept 7th on Manhattan's West Side. At the time of the report, the wireless company was looking to secure a venue for the gathering inside Splashlight Studios on West 35th Street. However, reliable sources now indicate that Motorola will host the party at Webster Hall on 125 East 11th Street.

The party will begin at 7pm, according to Motorola, and will include a performance by a live band. No further information was provided in the invite. Instead the company promises invitees more details upon reservation for the event.

Approximately six hours earlier in San Francisco, Calif., Apple will hold a special music event to officially introduce the phones to analyst and members of the media on the west coast.

Although both Apple and Motorola have declined to comment on either event, the New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that the phone launch was a go.

Citing sources familiar with plans for the iTunes phones, the publications said Apple and Motorola have struck a deal with Cingular, the nations No. 1 wireless carrier, to offer the phones to its customers in time for the holidays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    Phones only?! Boo hiss.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    OK, I'm starting to believe the phone rumors now

But what was announced was simply a Motorola phone with an iPod-styled screen, so don't get too excited.

I do hope for more in ADDITION to that known (and minor) announcement, though.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    steve could still easily have itunes 5 under wraps

he has proved recently that there are still things he can hide from us.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Quote:

"The device formally known as the cell phone is ready for its next act," Motorola said in the digital invites.

Formally? Or formerly?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Apple will be at: Located in the urban heart of San Francisco's downtown district, The Moscone Center is easily accessible by transit.

Motorola's party will be at "evening of fun" in New York City on Sept 7th

Now, don't get me wrong, but isn't that like 2000 miles or so apart?

iTunes enabled phone launch: New York

Something else: San Francisco
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

Apple will be at: Located in the urban heart of San Francisco's downtown district, The Moscone Center is easily accessible by transit.

Motorola's party will be at "evening of fun" in New York City on Sept 7th

Now, don't get me wrong, but isn't that like 2000 miles or so apart?

iTunes enabled phone launch: New York

Something else: San Francisco

Maybe in San Francisco will be iPod video or something, then Jobs will talk to Motorola in NY for the Phone launch over satellite or something. That would be cool. I really want an iPod video, that would be perfect for all my short videos I have made; and I am in the market for a new cell phone, so I guess in one week I might be able to get both!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    So... what does a phone that plays music enable? Ringtones that don't cost anything? I wouldn't think the crappy speakers in a phone would be good for anything else.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    well this certainly gives credance that the announcement at san fran HAS to include something other than the Moto phone since that'll really be emphasized more at the moto event.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeyMACer

well this certainly gives credance that the announcement at san fran HAS to include something other than the Moto phone since that'll really be emphasized more at the moto event.

The "Moto Event" is a party from the sounds of this invite. Most likely in celebration of the announcement taking place earlier in the day. These events seem like they are most likely related - not 2 seperate announcements.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    19841984 Posts: 955member

""The device formerly known as the cell phone is ready for its next act," Motorola said in the digital invites. "Please join us for an evening of fun, music and evolution."

Well, sadly, it is indeed looking like the Motorola phone will be the main event now. I just hope Apple announces something else at the event as well. An updated iPod mini with color screen and flash memory or a video capable iPod would be nice. Much more interesting than "yet another music phone" in my opinion.

The hype for this Motorola phone is insane. I just can't imagine how this can be as significant as the original iPod according to Apple or the cellphone according to Motorola. If it's just a phone that can play music who cares? It's been done already by numerous manufacturers. Yeah, being able to play tracks downloaded from iTMS would be a unique feature but hardly warrants this it will change everything attitude.

If Apple were making the phone with Motorola's help and not the other way around I would be excited. Otherwise? Meh.

• Reply 11 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

""The device formerly known as the cell phone is ready for its next act," Motorola said in the digital invites. "Please join us for an evening of fun, music and evolution."

Well, sadly, it is indeed looking like the Motorola phone will be the main event now. I just hope Apple announces something else at the event as well. An updated iPod mini with color screen and flash memory or a video capable iPod would be nice. Much more interesting than "yet another music phone" in my opinion.

The hype for this Motorola phone is insane. I just can't imagine how this can be as significant as the original iPod according to Apple or the cellphone according to Motorola. If it's just a phone that can play music who cares? It's been done already by numerous manufacturers. Yeah, being able to play tracks downloaded from iTMS would be a unique feature but hardly warrants this it will change everything attitude.

If Apple were making the phone with Motorola's help and not the other way around I would be excited. Otherwise? Meh.

This thread reminds me of the pre-iPod announcement threads
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Hang on for weeks everyone has been emphasising how this is a moto phone (repeat Moto phone) with just iTunes added. Can someone therefore please explain why this would be launched at an Apple event with so far no Moto emphasis at all. Ok so no doubt Moto will be represented BUT this is an Apple launch wheras the party is all Moto. Either Apple's input is rather bigger than everyone has said, have Moto on a short leash or there is more than the phone to announce here.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyinthesky

Hang on for weeks everyone has been emphasising how this is a moto phone (repeat Moto phone) with just iTunes added. Can someone therefore please explain why this would be launched at an Apple event with so far no Moto emphasis at all. Ok so no doubt Moto will be represented BUT this is an Apple launch wheras the party is all Moto. Either Apple's input is rather bigger than everyone has said, have Moto on a short leash or there is more than the phone to announce here.

This is exactly what i have been wondering all along, seems strange...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sloanlo

The "Moto Event" is a party from the sounds of this invite. Most likely in celebration of the announcement taking place earlier in the day. These events seem like they are most likely related - not 2 seperate announcements.

Welcome to AI. now go away.

Did you not read the above posts?No one is disputing the events are related. the launch for APPLE is in SAN FRANCISCO and the MOTO party is in NYC. The events are mostly related ie MOTO running on itunes 5.0 and Apple launching their own phone/ipod. I would be kind pissed if I have to travel to NYC just for a party for the event I attended when I was in san francisco. Of course your right with your 3 post on AI and all. But mark my words jobs doesn't to a launch to promo moto products. Apple is a HARDWARE company in essence and makes the majority of its money there.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Welcome to AI. now go away.

Did you not read the above posts?No one is disputing the events are related. the launch for APPLE is in SAN FRANCISCO and the MOTO party is in NYC. The events are mostly related ie MOTO running on itunes 5.0 and Apple launching their own phone/ipod. I would be kind pissed if I have to travel to NYC just for a party for the event I attended when I was in san francisco. Of course your right with your 3 post on AI and all. But mark my words jobs doesn't to a launch to promo moto products. Apple is a HARDWARE company in essence and makes the majority of its money there.

I was just trying to say the Apple event in San Fran is likely exclusively for the ROKR phone. Not for a video iPod or iTunes video store, as the person I replied to suggested. Congratulations on your 87 posts. You're awesome.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    We will all see in a few hours my bet is a WHITE ipod phone delivered by SJ. Its obvious tha apple always intends to keep its event APPLE.

Ps its not the number of posts but the QUALITY. and thank you I am awesome.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

We will all see in a few hours my bet is a WHITE ipod phone delivered by SJ. Its obvious tha apple always intends to keep its event APPLE.

Ps its not the number of posts but the QUALITY. and thank you I am awesome.

Stop shouting and capitalizing words and letters that need not be capitalized. Jesus Christ.