Madonna, Little Richard to star in Motorola ROKR campaign

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola has recruited ten music industry stars for a television ad to promote its forthcoming ROKR iTunes phones, according to an online report.

The much-anticipated mobile handsets will allow users to transfer and listen to music from Apple?s iTunes music store through an embedded version of the iTunes jukebox software on compatible Motorola?s phones.

Filming for the television commercial was completed today at Shepperton Studios, just outside London. It features pop stars from every relevant generation and genre, according to Madonna fan site Madonnalicious.

The cast includes industry veterans Madonna, Little Richard, and Bootsy Collins, as well as pop punk rockers Sum 41, R&B diva Mya, king of crunk Lil' Jon, pop sensation The Pussycat Dolls, The White Stripes duo, and Billie Joe from Green Day. Through impersonators, the ad also features the likeness of the late Beethoven, Jimi Hendrix and Biggie Smalls.

In its report, the Madonnalicious website provided a brief synopsis of the commercial, which opens in a Middle Eastern village and begins with a subtitled phone conversation between a young man and his girlfriend. Madonna walks up to the phone booth where the teenager is talking and kisses the young man, then asks, "Who's that girl?" His girlfriend is then heard screaming through the receive, followed by an instrumental version of Madonna's new single, 'Hung Up.'

At this point, other characters are introduced and squeezed into the phone booth. First "Beethoven" and "Hendrix" join Madonna and the teenager in the booth. They are soon followed by other stars who arrive and "pack into the booth with various difficulties," the report explains.

Just when it's evident that no one else can fit inside the phone booth, "Biggie Smalls" appears. The commercial reportedly cuts to Madonna's face, now pressed against the glass, as she yells "Biggie....Noooo!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Why does the word "stupid" come to mind?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by superted

I think it would be better to wait for the advert before criticizing it. It may sound corny on paper, but might actually turn out good. If not, then bash it all you want.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superted

I'm thinking more of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Ummmm, Madonna?

The same Madonna who does not allow her music on the iTms?

Will this change too on September 7th?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by bbbobbb

Ummmm, Madonna?

Will this change too on September 7th?

If it was Apple rolling the dough for the commercial it would seem to be a given that Madonna would be on iTunes. If it's just Mot's dough though I don't know. (sorry, I couldnt help myself - cheese is in the air)
  • Reply 6 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bbbobbb

The same Madonna that just fell off a horse and broke her hand and a few ribs? Yeah, let's press her against the glass of a phone booth.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    my my....Madonna iPod will be announced!!!

the wheel will be in skin color and button will be in nipple color.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Both the ad and the ROKR name sound obnoxious to me--but the message is effective:

Music on other phones is like cramming musicians into a tiny phone booth. But music on the ROKR is like cramming musicians into a medium-sized walk-in closet.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    They should have Al Roker promote the ROKR phone!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Biggie Smalls? Well, that's tasteless.

I have to say, this sounds fishy to me.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    There is so much hype surrounding this presentation you would think Mot was introducing cold fusion and not an update to the GUI of the music player interface of their telephones.

If all this is right what Mot is doing compares to if Apple had spend three years advertising money on the Flower Power.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wondering

If it was Apple rolling the dough for the commercial it would seem to be a given that Madonna would be on iTunes. If it's just Mot's dough though I don't know. (sorry, I couldnt help myself - cheese is in the air)

Never assume. Apple used Polyphonic Spree in their previous TV campaign and at the time did not offer the song on iTMS.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    there's a real big difference between putting people in commecials that have been dead for hundreds of years or even just a few decades and putting in those who have been dead for less than 10 years.

i could see putting the likeness of biggie smalls in this commecrial as being offensive to a lot of people, and i don't see how it would be helpful to apple, motorola, itunes, or really anyone, including the late biggie smalls.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    The Apple commercial mentioned elsewhere sounds much better. Everyday people walking down the street talking on their phones while their shadows dance to the beat. Subtle and clever. It clearly shows the duality of the product and it flows well with their previous commercials.

The original article over at Madonnalicious talks about impersonators for Hendrix and Beethoven but then goes on to talk about current artists squeezing into the phone booth ending with Biggie Smalls. It does not actually mention a Biggie Smalls impersonator anywhere. It sounds to me like the original source didn't know that he was dead. It sounds bogus or at least I hope it is though I wouldn't put it past Motorola.

It would be really odd if not distasteful to have someone impersonating a rapper that was murdered not that long ago, especially in such an inane setting. If it's true his ghost will haunt those in charge of his estate for allowing this.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by syklee26

my my....Madonna iPod will be announced!!!

the wheel will be in skin color and button will be in nipple color.

Its already available:

http://www.screenpower.org/ipod.html
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharp_spot

Never assume. Apple used Polyphonic Spree in their previous TV campaign and at the time did not offer the song on iTMS.

That was a VW-produced ad for the Beetle "Pods Unite", I believe, not an Apple one.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    "Apple....Noooo!"
  • Reply 18 of 34
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

"Apple....Noooo!"

You mean "Motorola.... Noooo!" -- the ROKR is not an Apple product, so its ad campaign is likely not from Apple either.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Apple should be ashamed to have their name and class-act reputation attached to this truly stupid and seedy ad. MOT should really have consulted with them and their agency, Chiat-Day, I believe -- who did the really great iPod "dancing silhouette" commercials, and come up with something appropriate and memorable. A shame, and I hope this is a bogus rumor.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Jeesh. Stop bitching about the ad.....it has not even been shown.